Surratt Society Assassination Conference
03-10-2014, 07:01 PM (This post was last modified: 03-10-2014 07:02 PM by Wesley Harris.)
Surratt Society Assassination Conference
I'm counting on your conference attendees to keep those of us who can not go thoroughly apprised of conference happenings. No detail is too small.

Many of you know my wife had a stroke in December while out of state on a job assignment. It's been a wild experience but she is doing well and is shooting at returning to work in a couple of months. It's not a good time for me to take a trip. You don't know how much I will miss being with you. It pains me to know I'll miss presentations by a number of friends. The scheduled speakers and tours are first-rate.

So, I need to experience the conference vicariously. Tell me what else you have planned besides the sessions, whether Jim Garrett is behaving himself, how Caleb's book is selling, who gets the hook for going over their time limit. I will definitely be there next year, hopefully with a book to sell. Have a great time and thanks!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-10-2014, 07:19 PM (This post was last modified: 03-10-2014 07:31 PM by BettyO.)
RE: Surratt Society Assassination Conference
Wesley,

You will be greatly missed! We will take care of both YOU and Roger! I'll keep folk updated via postings here on the forum and may even do some live videos as well if I can figure out how to do it on my iPad...

The question is if I can behave!! I have a practical joke or two to play on friends....!! Can't wait to hear the updates on your book...

You relax, take care of what needs to be taken care of and we'll take care of YOU!

"The Past is a foreign country...they do things differently there" - L. P. Hartley
03-10-2014, 07:40 PM
You will definitely be missed Wes. I'm not sure that I will be in good enough condition to report little details, but there are enough of us attending to keep you updated. Best attendance yet - 138 for the conference and another 9 for the banquet and Barry's presentation. He is also bringing a little surprise for us.

I can tell you right now that Jim Garrett will be the one that the hook will have to drag off stage. One of my staff is nicknamed the Velvet Hammer, and it is her duty to give each speaker two warnings before she starts marching up the aisle with a stop sign in her hand. I kid you not!

I was raised military, so it is ingrained in me to want everything to run on schedule.

P.S. I think I announced earlier that Blaine Houmes will be substituting for Jason Emerson, who had some family issues. Last week, Kim Bauer also had to cancel due to his wife's hospitalization. We are not finding a substitute - just adding a little relaxation time at lunch (since I was having heart palpitations as to how to get 138 people through a buffet line and fed in 45 minutes!).

BTW: I already have about 8 ideas for speakers in 2015.
03-10-2014, 08:14 PM (This post was last modified: 03-10-2014 08:15 PM by Wesley Harris.)
(03-10-2014 07:19 PM)BettyO Wrote:  The question is if I can behave!!

Betty, I figured your misbehaving was a given but thought Jim might be okay with a little supervisionBig Grin.
03-10-2014, 11:33 PM
Laurie. If I can help you with a "Lunch Talk" - Can we make it a Question and answer time on Sarah? The questions will be written out, so we can make the "Talk" as long or as short as you want. Any questions not answered will be answered in the Currier. Interested?
03-13-2014, 07:20 PM
I swear I am going to be there one of these years! Y'all have a great time!
03-15-2014, 05:52 AM
(03-10-2014 08:14 PM)Wesley Harris Wrote:  

Betty, I figured your misbehaving was a given but thought Jim might be okay with a little supervisionBig Grin.

I resemble that remark! To paraphrase John Wilkes Booth, "When I leave the stage......................
03-15-2014, 08:19 AM
Having a ball! Conference is going great!! Wish you were here, Roger and Wesley! We're taking LOTS of photos -

"The Past is a foreign country...they do things differently there" - L. P. Hartley
03-15-2014, 02:41 PM
I too am keeping up on conference happenings from Spain thanks to WiFi and my tablet. Any details, photos much appreciated.
03-15-2014, 05:30 PM
Photos will be uploaded tonight! Talks were GREAT as usual - and Blaine Houmes was positively grand as was John Elliott, Calab and all the rest! Bought Calab's book - can't wait to read it.....

Banquet starts in a half hour and we'll be reporting more! Check out Heath's and Dave's Twitter accounts!

03-15-2014, 09:14 PM (This post was last modified: 03-15-2014 09:16 PM by Wesley Harris.)

(03-15-2014 05:52 AM)Jim Garrett Wrote:  
(03-10-2014 08:14 PM)Wesley Harris Wrote:  

I resemble that remark! To paraphrase John Wilkes Booth, "When I leave the stage......................

Hate I missed your presentation, Jim.
03-15-2014, 09:45 PM
I am so happy you are all having a great time......and a little jealous. Have a great night.

" Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the American Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." - Henry Ford
03-16-2014, 06:26 AM (This post was last modified: 03-16-2014 06:46 AM by BettyO.)
Lots of grand photos for ya'll to enjoy -- but have to get home and resize them in Photoshop before I can post.Thought I could resize them using my tablet - but I'm having a little trouble - sorry, folks....

I was going to stay another day for the Mosby Tour, but yes, Old Man Winter is NOT through with us yet! Another Winter Storm Warning for Virginia with 6-8 inches of snow and ice predicted for us tonight and tomorrow, so I'm heading out early so I can get home safely.

I'll post the photos tonight when I get home so stay tuned. Dave and Heath have posted a lot on Twitter so you can head on over there and check out their Tweets....

03-16-2014, 02:14 PM (This post was last modified: 03-16-2014 02:33 PM by L Verge.)
Every year they get better, and every year I wonder how we can top it the next year. And every year we manage to do so - or so it seems from the comments we get. This year, our 15th anniversary year for the Surratt conference was no exception. Every speaker was dynamic, knew their subject matter very well, and were tossed good questions at the end. And guess what -- every speaker was a member of this forum. I am truly sending my love and appreciation to John Elliott, Tom Bogar, Rich Smyth, Jim Garrett, Caleb Stephens, Barry Cauchon and Blaine Houmes, all of whom made us look so very good.

Many other forum members were in the audience: Betty Ownsbey, Dave Taylor, Heath and Josh Atkinson, Joe Beckert, Phil and Linda Anderson, Reignette Chilton,Tom Thorne, and the biggest treat of all was to have Eva Lennartz fly from Germany to be with us. She was quickly adopted by our friendly group. As tired as I am, it's happy exhaustion -- and my efficient museum staff and Society executive board members were wonderful helpers.
03-16-2014, 03:15 PM
Great Weekend. It is so wonderful to renew friendships and make new ones with people whose interests are as strange as mine
Love
Tom.