Wok n Roll
03-03-2014, 05:52 PM
Wok n Roll
Good afternoon I am new to the Group. I am an avid Lincoln Assassination buff. (buff meaning I think I know a lot but I really don't). Anyway I was wondering if there is any plans for city of DC or govt entity to buy Surratts boarding house refurbish it back to its original glory and make it a historic landmark?

-John Hewitt Dallas TX
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-03-2014, 06:17 PM (This post was last modified: 03-03-2014 06:34 PM by L Verge.)
RE: Wok n Roll
I have had that question asked at Surratt House many times over the years, and all I can ever say is that I doubt it seriously. First, it is located in what remains of D.C.'s Chinatown. That area has been revitalized quite a bit over the past few decades with the Verizon Center right next door and the National Portrait Gallery and several upscale hotels. If the area starts to go down hill, I suspect that the buildings will be razed for more economic development -- or parking lots and garages.

In dealing with federal agencies, the Surratt House has found that having a history associated with the Lincoln assassination only helps if you are the Ford's Theatre or Petersen House. Our museum has been on the National Registry of Historic Places since 1976. In the past forty years, however, we have tried several times to be "upgraded" to Historic Landmark status. Each time we get cryptic responses that boil down to "we don't need another reminder of the Lincoln assassination." It seems to make no difference that over 10,000 visitors annually to Surratt House seems to show that there is an interest in that event. If they would only put a Metro stop within walking distance of Surratt House, we'd show them how many thousands more would visit us.

In defense of the government taking over the H Street building, it would be a huge investment in a time when NPS and National Trust sites all over the country are in dire need of economic assistance. I have some suggestions on federal programs that could be downsized or cut in order to protect our historic sites, but I don't think the administration wants to hear from me.

P.S. I forgot to mention that the Wok n Roll was shut down for a few days last month by the health department because of dead bugs. It was thought that their recent extermination efforts had done the job, but the dead bugs fell through ceiling tiles into the kitchen. I have not been to the restaurant in a few years, but it was perfectly clean and the food was good at that time. I understand that a recent change in management has upgraded it even more.

I have often wondered if Mrs. Surratt and Anna ever tried Chinese food once they moved to the city. D.C.'s Chinatown at that time was much closer to the Avenue and the U.S. Capitol, I believe.
03-03-2014, 06:47 PM
The Surratt Boarding House and the Surratt Tavern have as much chance of becoming a National Landmark, as does Garrett's Barn. I have heard of attempts to "LandmarK" Booth's home and the answer has always been "We don't build monuments to Assassins." He can't even get a Tombstone.
03-03-2014, 10:30 PM
So I guess we're just going to ignore Edwin Booth, the greatest Hamlet that ever lived. Great job for only seeing that one mistake in judgment, landmark people.
03-04-2014, 07:55 AM
In regards to the restaurant being closed due to insect infestation, it is impossible for any food service facility in the District of Columbia to be vermin free. It is a constant battle. So think about trying to manage bug infestation in a 160 plus year old building with thousands of places for bugs to hide. Impossible.
03-04-2014, 08:06 AM
(03-03-2014 10:30 PM)KateH. Wrote:  So I guess we're just going to ignore Edwin Booth, the greatest Hamlet that ever lived. Great job for only seeing that one mistake in judgment, landmark people.

Excellent point!

Bill Nash
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user