Booth's Boasts
01-04-2014, 02:16 PM
Booth's Boasts
While reading Right or Wrong, God Judge Thee I came across an interesting letter from John Wilkes Booth to his money manager Joseph H. Simonds in which he boasts of having been shot.

Washington D.C., 19 April 1863

Dear Joe
I have just finished a fine engagement here. I was idle this week but stay here in hopes to open the other theatre next Monday for a week or two before going to Chicago. I am glad to hear of your success in our different speculations: Try it again in anything you think will pay. I enclose a letter from my old Rector which you can show our friend Stephen. in my letter to Van I said I had met Mr. Stephen very often. Also that he was a fine linguist, he wishes him to write. Excuse this dear Joe. have a very bad pen. And am far from well. have a hole in my neck you could run your fist in. The doctor had a hunt for my bullet. Once more excuse this
Yours Truly
J Wilkes Booth

The wound that Booth is referring to here was not the result of a gunshot but rather the result of a surgical operation to remove what Dr. May later described as a "Fibroid Tumour."

One wonders what kind of fancy tales that Booth told his family and friends as to how he had been shot.

Craig
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-04-2014, 04:22 PM (This post was last modified: 01-04-2014 04:25 PM by KateH..)
RE: Booth's Boasts
Knowing that making up convincing stories was a talent of the dramatic Booth, he probably came up with some fantastic story about how he was "shot." Of course there was no reason to lie, but surviving a gunshot makes for a better story when you and your friends are drinking, smoking, and complimenting each other on being masters of the universe. "I got an operation but refused to rest like the doctor said and injured myself again" doesn't sound nearly as cool or tough. This is the same reason modern day people claim scars came from fighting sharks, bears, or mountain lions.
01-04-2014, 08:39 PM
It is a touch dramatic. Sounds better than his actual gunshot wound. Think of that letter...........

Dear Joe,

I am recovering slowly. I received a severe gunshot wound in the buttock from fooling around with a fellow actor who just happened to accidentally discharge his firearm in my direction. I now have two holes in my.............. Smile
01-05-2014, 06:34 AM
Matthew Canning just turned over in his grave.