Lincoln Assassination Class
07-18-2013, 10:00 AM
Lincoln Assassination Class
Hey everyone,

So my first assignment as a student teacher is to teach about the Lincoln Assasination. First off . . . (silent fist pump because I am at work), but secondly, can anyone think of some cool activities to do while talking about the Lincoln Assassination. These kids are Juniors in High School so make them fun but educational!

In the words of a native Nebraskan . . . Get'r Done!!!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-18-2013, 10:12 AM
RE: Lincoln Assassination Class
How about just relating those times to our own? How the country was, then and now, divided into two different factions that wanted to take the country in different directions and how some folk's convictions about their beliefs were very strong.

"There are few subjects that ignite more casual, uninformed bigotry and condescension from elites in this nation more than Dixie - Jonah Goldberg"
07-18-2013, 10:38 AM (This post was last modified: 07-18-2013 11:13 AM by Gene C.)
Assign each student in the class to be an individual associated with Lincoln. Have them do a little research then a 3-5 minute oral presentation (no papers to grade) on how Lincoln's assassination personally affected that individual.

(For dramatic purposes, Dave Taylor and I are partial towards sock puppets)

So when is this "Old Enough To Know Better" supposed to kick in?
07-18-2013, 11:19 AM
One big object lesson that I always want anyone from grade 5 on to learn is the concept of "conspiracy" related to current "gang activity" in order to stress "choose your friends wisely because their actions will reflect on you" and the necessity to report criminal intent or actions. This can be done by introducing the term "vicarious liability," which is based on English common law.

Basically, this means that, when one enters into a conspiracy, one is responsible for whatever any member of that conspiracy might do. To bring this home, I appoint a gang of three to rob a bank. One stays outside to drive the getaway car while the other two go into the bank. In the process of robbing the bank, a teller is shot and killed.

Is the thief who did NOT pull the trigger guilty? (yes) Is the one who waited in the car guilty? (yes)
What if the driver chickens out and drives away? (still yes). What if the driver chickens out and alerts the cop on the corner? (no) He attempted to alert the authorities and stop the crime. That's the secret to saving one's own hide. Then relate it to the Lincoln assassination.

I'm sure that Joe Beckert and any lawyers on this forum can correct/add/or chastise me if I have screwed this up - but it works with kids.

My main point is related to Joe's. Relate what happened in 1861-65 to what the kids are familiar with today. I have had some meaningful discussions on the issue of slavery with classes of African American students by using such a technique. I will share that with you privately if you wish, but not on this forum where some might not act as positively as the children do in their discussions. I find that children are not as set in their thinking as some adults.
07-18-2013, 11:23 AM
Wow, you guys are sooper dooper smart!!!! Keep them coming!!!!! Laurie, you can always send it to me via email!!!
07-18-2013, 12:09 PM
It is interesting on what people actually know about the assassination.

A basic question to ask the class is when JWB was shooting the President, does anyone know what else was happening?
We have had previous discussions on the errors in the book "Killing Lincoln" but what it did accomplish was capturing the public's interest. After reading the book, someone asked me, "did you know there was a conspiracy".
With that, Ms. Verge covered your first lesson.
07-18-2013, 12:29 PM
The greatest thing about history, and especially a suubject like the Lincoln Assassination is that we as historians are the ones who tell the story. I love when people learn tid-bits of history and say "Gee . . . I didn't know that?" One of the main reasons why I personally have strived to become more knowledgable on the Lincoln Assassination and history in general. I can tell you a God honest story that literally almost broke my heart. So this was two years ago, and it was the first time that I was going to Ford's Theatre, and I was so excited, and just behind me, a woman was telling her kids about that night. She said that Lincoln was shot in the back and died that night. Her son was saying . . . but I thought he was shot in the back of the head. The little boy's mom then said, No, he was shot in the back, that is why there is blood on the back of Lincoln's coat. I then turned around, stared down this woman and said "Your son is right, he was shot in the back of the head, and also, Lincoln died the next morning, so stop telling your kids wrong things and maybe research a little before coming to historical places so that you don't look ignorant." That single story is why I have gotten more interested in history, because without my knowledge to present to these people, who is going to? Education is a top priorety for me, and I want every child to be as intelligent as I hope I can be. I want them to strive to higher things in life than they could ever imagine.
07-18-2013, 02:15 PM
After a session or two, try a "Dress-Up" class. Students would choose their own person to emulate and then make a presentation on him (or Her) and the class has to determine who that person was, and vote whether the "Actor" was informed, and did a good job. Once a person is presented, then that person cannot be repeated, or they would all be Lincoln. ( or some such show)
07-18-2013, 03:02 PM (This post was last modified: 07-18-2013 03:03 PM by L Verge.)
A friend of mine, who knows very little about history and museums, just sent me an interesting video on how an art museum in The Netherlands used one of their famous paintings to publicize the museum by dressing actors as the subjects in the painting and taking them to the local mall to portray the story told by the painting.

I would not advise staging the assassination in one of our malls. Someone would shout "gun," the place would turn into chaos, you might get shot by mall security or beaten by a mob, or thrown in jail for creating a riot.

(07-18-2013 03:02 PM)L Verge Wrote:  A friend of mine, who knows very little about history and museums, just sent me an interesting video on how an art museum in The Netherlands used one of their famous paintings to publicize the museum by dressing actors as the subjects in the painting and taking them to the local mall to portray the story told by the painting.

I would not advise staging the assassination in one of our malls. Someone would shout "gun," the place would turn into chaos, you might get shot by mall security or beaten by a mob, or thrown in jail for creating a riot.

BTW, Matt: I am absolutely amazed that the mother in line at Ford's didn't give you at least a tongue lashing for butting into her business. People today just are not friendly to things like that - especially when they are wrong in the first place.
07-18-2013, 03:09 PM
(07-18-2013 03:02 PM)L Verge Wrote:  A friend of mine, who knows very little about history and museums, just sent me an interesting video on how an art museum in The Netherlands used one of their famous paintings to publicize the museum by dressing actors as the subjects in the painting and taking them to the local mall to portray the story told by the painting.

BTW, Matt: I am absolutely amazed that the mother in line at Ford's didn't give you at least a tongue lashing for butting into her business. People today just are not friendly to things like that - especially when they are wrong in the first place.

Haha Laurie . . . No she was shocked that somone of my age said something. Plus I forgot to say that she cut me in line and I was the first one there, she was not being very nice!!! Haha
07-18-2013, 04:28 PM
(07-18-2013 12:29 PM)Matt Macoubrie Wrote:  The greatest thing about history, and especially a suubject like the Lincoln Assassination is that we as historians are the ones who tell the story. I love when people learn tid-bits of history and say "Gee . . . I didn't know that?" One of the main reasons why I personally have strived to become more knowledgable on the Lincoln Assassination and history in general. I can tell you a God honest story that literally almost broke my heart. So this was two years ago, and it was the first time that I was going to Ford's Theatre, and I was so excited, and just behind me, a woman was telling her kids about that night. She said that Lincoln was shot in the back and died that night. Her son was saying . . . but I thought he was shot in the back of the head. The little boy's mom then said, No, he was shot in the back, that is why there is blood on the back of Lincoln's coat. I then turned around, stared down this woman and said "Your son is right, he was shot in the back of the head, and also, Lincoln died the next morning, so stop telling your kids wrong things and maybe research a little before coming to historical places so that you don't look ignorant." That single story is why I have gotten more interested in history, because without my knowledge to present to these people, who is going to? Education is a top priorety for me, and I want every child to be as intelligent as I hope I can be. I want them to strive to higher things in life than they could ever imagine.

Matt, you would be amazed at the comments, statements, etc. one hears from guests at Ford's. Even after going through the exhibits, you still have people that didn't get one single thing out of it, and after the presentation, they still think Booth acted alone. I'm sure Laurie gets the visitor every now and then, that has no idea what they've been doing for the last hour.

Sometimes they are in tour groups, sometimes they are along with friends, and even sometimes they just sort of wander in on their own. All I can say is, I'm glad they're out and about and I hope they walk away know just a little bit more than when they came in. God Bless each and every one of them.
07-19-2013, 04:15 PM
I've never heard of a class that includes the teaching of the Lincoln assassination. As I've mentioned in other posts, the war itself barely gets any attention here in Michigan.

Bill Nash
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-19-2013, 04:21 PM
Maybe Roger and I were the only history teachers to spend time on it! My classes that had the ability to handle the mock trial were stuck with a whole week of Lincoln assassination studies. Of course, I had told them the Huntt family connection to the conspiracy and how great-grandpa kept silent. Quite a few of them wished that Mr. Huntt had been hanged too so that they would not have to put up with me as a teacher! Secretly, I know they loved me.....