Sad
07-26-2013, 08:56 AM
Lincoln Memorial
Sad to say, I awoke this morning to our local newscaster reporting that the Lincoln Memorial was defaced during the night.

The Memorial is open to the public 24 hours a day. A visitor at about 1:30 am contacted police when he found that green paint had been splashed at the base of the great sculpture and some onto Lincoln's boots. The Memorial is closed and undergoing clean-up as I type this.

Welcome to modern America...
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-26-2013, 09:25 AM
RE: Lincoln Memorial
One would think there was 24 hour video surveillance and that vandalism of this kind would be seen and stopped immediately.
Makes me wonder if our local 7-11 is better protected than the Lincoln Memorial.

If Lincoln were still alive, he would probably just laugh about it and say something like "don't sweat the small stuff, and it's all small stuff".

So when is this "Old Enough To Know Better" supposed to kick in?
07-26-2013, 09:38 AM (This post was last modified: 07-26-2013 12:02 PM by LincolnMan.)
Frankly, it doesn't surprise me. Here in the Detroit area two statues were defaced and damaged-but also stolen. One was of Lincoln and the other a Union Soldier. Both have been recovered and repaired. Civility and respect seems to be at an all-time low...

Bill Nash
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-26-2013, 10:15 AM
I tell you what, it is sad when we deface a great leader like Lincoln. I just don't think people appreciate all that he did . . . Thanks for the update Laurie!! It indeed is a sad day . . . now a little kid from wherever can't go take a picture by it today!
07-26-2013, 12:38 PM
The day previous to this vandalism a Lincoln statute had paint thrown on it in Peekskill, NY, just across the Hudson River from West Point. This person was caught.
07-26-2013, 12:45 PM
A few years ago there was vandalism at Lincoln's Tomb in Springfield, and I believe the vandal(s) was (were) caught there, too.
07-26-2013, 12:50 PM
Today is the anniversary of RTL's death. I wonder if there is a connection and if the green paint is related to some ecological beef.

"There are few subjects that ignite more casual, uninformed bigotry and condescension from elites in this nation more than Dixie - Jonah Goldberg"
07-26-2013, 01:10 PM
(07-26-2013 09:38 AM)LincolnMan Wrote:  Frankly, it doesn't surprise me. Here in the Detroit area two statues were defaced and damaged-but also stolen. One was of Lincoln and the other a Union Soldier. Both have been recovered and repaired. Civility and respect seems to be at an all-time low...

I agree, Bill, about the lack of civility. All those without that quality should be locked in a room and not allowed to come out again until they have read all of the novels of Jane Austen where they could learn some civility! Too draconian?

Joe
07-26-2013, 01:15 PM
Laurie-"Modern America" is starting to follow the downward path of the Greeks and Romans.Look what has happened to Education since we have been out.This nation has to work on the"R"word---RESPECT!!!!!
07-26-2013, 06:12 PM
From The L.A. Times:

"Some visitors Friday morning were drawn by news of the vandalism, but most were shocked to discover it.

Rosalyn Prioleau, leading a group of Girl Scouts from South Carolina, was upset by the disrespect the act showed to Lincoln.

“This is what American stands on — his ideals of equality and justice,” she said. “Whoever did this is anti-American.”

Rich Hutson, visiting from North Carolina for the weekend to celebrate his son’s birthday, was disappointed that the family would not be able to go inside the memorial.

“You just can’t see the full effect,” he said. “But it’s still very powerful and moving.”

His wife, Jeannine, wondered what could have motivated the vandals.

“How does it further any cause?” she asked."
07-26-2013, 06:58 PM
Lincoln Memorial
I assume all here have seen this, but the Lincoln Memorial was vandalized last night with green paint:

Heath
07-26-2013, 07:54 PM
(07-26-2013 01:10 PM)Joe Di Cola Wrote:  
(07-26-2013 09:38 AM)LincolnMan Wrote:  Frankly, it doesn't surprise me. Here in the Detroit area two statues were defaced and damaged-but also stolen. One was of Lincoln and the other a Union Soldier. Both have been recovered and repaired. Civility and respect seems to be at an all-time low...

I agree, Bill, about the lack of civility. All those without that quality should be locked in a room and not allowed to come out again until they have read all of the novels of Jane Austen where they could learn some civility! Too draconian?

Joe
Hey Joe: it wouldn't be civil. Smile

Bill Nash
07-26-2013, 08:21 PM
I remember in my first year of college history having a professor stress the ways that conquerors can defeat their enemies - and one of those ways was to destroy the good reputations of national leaders who have gone before. I know I'm getting old and cynical, but over the past few decades or so, I have seen more and more evidence of this. Suddenly, people who have done very little to advance our country are being hailed as the "New Breed of Americans," while those who lived, worked hard, and died to uphold democracy and freedom are being deleted from national memory. That both saddens me and makes me mad!
07-27-2013, 09:36 AM
RE: Sad
I see from a news story today that mutimillionaire entertainer Jim Carrey has weighed in on the subject of the vandalism of the Lincoln Memorial.

Bill Nash
07-27-2013, 10:16 AM
RE: Sad
This whole thing makes me sick. I have to agree that civility and proper respect are, unfortunately, on the decline in America today - not to mention pride; whether personal or national pride. These monuments remind us of what has gone before and of the freedoms and price that others paid for what we have now. People who deface and vandalize have no pride in either themselves or their country. Whatever point they are attempting to make is just plain idiocy. One can turn on the news at any given time and see how low we are sinking and I fear, will continue to sink. I fear we are definitely headed down the wrong path - this "New Breed of Americans" is not what it should be with respect to their own country!

"The Past is a foreign country...they do things differently there" - L. P. Hartley