Lincoln Discussion Symposium
And Sometimes I Say Yes - Printable Version

+- Lincoln Discussion Symposium (https://rogerjnorton.com/LincolnDiscussionSymposium)
+-- Forum: Lincoln Discussion Symposium (/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Other (/forum-10.html)
+--- Thread: And Sometimes I Say Yes (/thread-989.html)

Pages: 1 2

And Sometimes I Say Yes - Laurie Verge - 06-14-2013 04:40 PM

I recently reported that I had turned down an offer to have a film crew conduct archaeological digs here at Surratt. Well, this time, I am relenting and saying "yes" to a production company that is working with the Travel Channel on a segment about historic hotels. I suspect that this is part of the programming related to the previous posting here for an expert on the Parker House and Booth's ties, but I'm not sure.

Mr. Surratt would be so proud that his one travelers' bedroom now qualifies him as the owner of a "hotel!" In 1854, when the tavern was designated as the polling place for the new Ninth Election District in Prince George's County, Maryland, it was listed as a "hotel." I guess three men in a double bed works...

RE: And Sometimes I Say Yes - LincolnMan - 06-14-2013 05:19 PM

Laurie: you'll be interviewed, no doubt?

RE: And Sometimes I Say Yes - L Verge - 06-14-2013 06:34 PM

Probably not. It sounds like it is going to be pre-scripted for a narrator. The contact person did read some preliminary writings to me, and I gently asked if I could do final proofing and editing. We'll see...

RE: And Sometimes I Say Yes - LincolnMan - 06-15-2013 06:01 AM

Does the Surratt House get paid something, at least?

RE: And Sometimes I Say Yes - BettyO - 06-15-2013 06:52 AM

Great! Go for it, Laurie! Keep us posted on what they find....

RE: And Sometimes I Say Yes - L Verge - 06-15-2013 03:02 PM

We have a standard fee per hour for any filming done on the site. Like most production companies, however, they are trying to beg out of paying it because it's good publicity for the museum. I kinda told the rep that, in the past three years, we have worked with Robert Redford's The Conspirator and the crew from National Geographic for Killing Lincoln - so the publicity from this was not the issue. Just one slight detail, neither of those crews actually shot footage at Surratt House, just still photos for set information, etc. We did supply them with a lot of historical information, however.

One of the worst moments of my life was when Erik Jendresen called and said he needed to know what the INTERIOR of the River Queen looked like! God bless Dr. Wayne Temple for including that in a book...

RE: And Sometimes I Say Yes - Laurie Verge - 06-18-2013 10:36 AM

And sometimes, THEY say no! Scratch Surratt House's appearance on the Travel Channel's series on historic hotels. The production company has declined to pay the location fee that we charge. Perhaps it is for the better because there were some clauses in the Location Release form that I was not comfortable with and would have to run it through our legal department.

RE: And Sometimes I Say Yes - JMadonna - 06-19-2013 11:58 AM

Too bad. You should have let them take a picture of you sitting on the front porch with a Spencer Repeater for free.

Y'all come back now!

RE: And Sometimes I Say Yes - L Verge - 06-19-2013 07:23 PM

Jerry - I'm so pleased; you're sounding more like a Southerner every day! One little detail, however. At the end of "Y'all come back now," you should add, "Y'ah hear?"

RE: And Sometimes I Say Yes - LincolnMan - 06-19-2013 09:48 PM

Well, they are the losers. It would have made a great feature of the show.

RE: And Sometimes I Say Yes - JMadonna - 06-20-2013 07:06 AM

(06-19-2013 07:23 PM)L Verge Wrote:  Jerry - I'm so pleased; you're sounding more like a Southerner every day! One little detail, however. At the end of "Y'all come back now," you should add, "Y'ah hear?"

Add a chew of tobacco and a spittoon to complete the stereotype.

RE: And Sometimes I Say Yes - Laurie Verge - 06-20-2013 12:45 PM

(06-20-2013 07:06 AM)JMadonna Wrote:  
(06-19-2013 07:23 PM)L Verge Wrote:  Jerry - I'm so pleased; you're sounding more like a Southerner every day! One little detail, however. At the end of "Y'all come back now," you should add, "Y'ah hear?"

OK, you win! You just completely grossed me out with that image and caused me to retch at the thought of chewing and spitting. Don't answer this, but do you think of me as Granny Clampitt???

RE: And Sometimes I Say Yes - Gene C - 06-20-2013 12:51 PM

No way Laurie, your more like Elly May Clampett's older sister.

http://www.imdb.com/media/rm2758514688/ch0021980

RE: And Sometimes I Say Yes - LincolnMan - 06-21-2013 08:51 AM

(06-20-2013 07:06 AM)JMadonna Wrote:  

Jerry: you mentions spittoons- I'm somewhat of a modest collector of them. I have about a dozen of them. Of course, visitors to my house of no idea what they are. Once I tell them- they usually ask: Did Lincoln chew?

RE: And Sometimes I Say Yes - JMadonna - 06-21-2013 09:55 AM

(06-21-2013 08:51 AM)LincolnMan Wrote:  Jerry: you mentions spittoons- I'm somewhat of a modest collector of them. I have about a dozen of them. Of course, visitors to my house of no idea what they are. Once I tell them- they usually ask: Did Lincoln chew?
Sounds like a question for "Granny"