Lincoln Discussion Symposium
Killing Lincoln - Printable Version

+- Lincoln Discussion Symposium (https://rogerjnorton.com/LincolnDiscussionSymposium)
+-- Forum: Lincoln Discussion Symposium (/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Assassination (/forum-5.html)
+--- Thread: Killing Lincoln (/thread-642.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

RE: Killing Lincoln - Loomings - 02-17-2013 09:00 PM

THANK YOU GUYS!

I've half a mind to sic you on some of the other uneducated reviewers!

Absolutely brilliant, and very helpful, all.

E

PS Sounds like Mr. Elliott has some issues to iron out with me! I cannot wait!

RE: Killing Lincoln - J. Beckert - 02-17-2013 11:53 PM

Great job, Erik. Johnson really channeled Booth, Josh did the same for Powell and Atzerodt was a nice surprise! KUDOS on a job well done!

RE: Killing Lincoln - Josh M - 02-19-2013 02:33 AM

Hi guys, some have messaged me here about my preparation so I will drop a quick note for everyone....I had 3 main sources:

1. Betty's (and a some others) historical work. I didn't have a chance to get her book in time but read everything she's posted online and listened to her interviews, to get a feel for people's observation of him.
2. The photos. The whole character arc is headed toward those fateful mugshots. I kept them on my phone, and looked at them everychance I got. I felt like I could see his whole personality speaking from his eyes. I also developed my method of movement from his posture in the photos. I see him as this lumbering freight train, but a train that's never in a rush.
3. The dialect. I haven't played a southerner before but I found a recording of 'my guy' who was from rural Georgia and lived in Alabama...it seemed to fit. I listened to the recording incessantly for weeks until I could drawl in my sleep. Then, retrofitted it to the archaic dialogue of the time.

Other than that I simply relied on Erik's script for the aspects of his character that needed to be in the film!

RE: Killing Lincoln - MaddieM - 02-19-2013 06:38 AM

(02-19-2013 02:33 AM)Josh M Wrote:  Hi guys, some have messaged me here about my preparation so I will drop a quick note for everyone....I had 3 main sources:

1. Betty's (and a some others) historical work. I didn't have a chance to get her book in time but read everything she's posted online and listened to her interviews, to get a feel for people's observation of him.
2. The photos. The whole character arc is headed toward those fateful mugshots. I kept them on my phone, and looked at them everychance I got. I felt like I could see his whole personality speaking from his eyes. I also developed my method of movement from his posture in the photos. I see him as this lumbering freight train, but a train that's never in a rush.
3. The dialect. I haven't played a southerner before but I found a recording of 'my guy' who was from rural Georgia and lived in Alabama...it seemed to fit. I listened to the recording incessantly for weeks until I could drawl in my sleep. Then, retrofitted it to the archaic dialogue of the time.

Other than that I simply relied on Erik's script for the aspects of his character that needed to be in the film!

I live in the UK, so haven't had a chance to see KL yet, or your performance, but it's wonderful to hear you cared so much about getting him right, and doing him justice, so to speak. Wink

RE: Killing Lincoln - BettyO - 02-19-2013 07:10 AM

Josh -

I'm proud of your rendition of Powell - I think that you did an excellent job with "My Boy Powell" - and it's obvious that you put a lot of research/effort with your interpretation of Powell - especially when he leaves the Seward house seemingly in shock at what he has perpetuated.

Members of Powell's immediate family were also eagerly watching and I want to get their viewpoints on your portrayal of "Uncle Lewis" as well!

Thanks for all!

RE: Killing Lincoln - Vicky Reany Paulson - 03-18-2013 09:02 AM

Thank you, Roger Norton, for mentioning my book. It's now officially in the Lincoln Library. If anyone needs a speaking engagement, I am having one at the Oshkosh, Wisconsin Public Library, on May 18th, 1:00 P.M.. It has attracted several genealogists! Vicky Reany Paulson

RE: Killing Lincoln - LincolnMan - 03-28-2013 10:48 AM

I see Killing Lincoln is now available for Preorder at Amazon.

RE: Killing Lincoln - BettyO - 03-28-2013 01:57 PM

(03-28-2013 10:48 AM)LincolnMan Wrote:  I see Killing Lincoln is now available for Preorder at Amazon.

Cool!

Thanks, Bill!

Bought Spielberg's Lincoln the other night....now - I just went onto Amazon -

At the risk of sounding incredibly stupid (which for me isn't hard! HA!) Can anyone tell me what is in the 4 disk set and why and what differs from the regular "vanilla" flavored DVD?!?

RE: Killing Lincoln - Dawn E Foster - 03-28-2013 04:33 PM

(03-28-2013 10:48 AM)LincolnMan Wrote:  I see Killing Lincoln is now available for Preorder at Amazon.

I pre-ordered mine on February 23rd, the same time I did Lincoln, so with the two together I could qualify for free shipping. I see the price has gone down a little since I did, but they guarantee the lowest price until the time it ships. Lincoln had gone down a little too, and they had already adjusted it once, and then they notified me yesterday, after I had already received it, they had just refunded me another dollar. I'm still watching for Saving Lincoln to come up as available!

RE: Killing Lincoln - BettyO - 04-04-2013 04:40 PM

More Kudos for Killing Lincoln with an encore showing on April 14 at 9 PM -

http://www.gmanetwork.com/news/story/302352/cbb/ridley-scott-takes-us-behind-natgeo-s-killing-lincoln

RE: Killing Lincoln - LincolnMan - 04-04-2013 04:58 PM

Interesting that the date will be April 14th.

RE: Killing Lincoln - jonathan - 04-04-2013 06:53 PM

(03-28-2013 01:57 PM)BettyO Wrote:  

Cool!

Thanks, Bill!

Bought Spielberg's Lincoln the other night....now - I just went onto Amazon -

At the risk of sounding incredibly stupid (which for me isn't hard! HA!) Can anyone tell me what is in the 4 disk set and why and what differs from the regular "vanilla" flavored DVD?!?

Not sure if you got your answer on this, but the "vanilla" dvd has only the movie and a few extras, I believe. The 4 disc blu ray pack has the movie on blu ray, the movie on dvd, a digital copy (this allows you to download a copy to your computer, which you can then watch on the computer, a portable device, or stream to your television), and a disc of extras, some of which are available only on this version. Here's a link to some info on the 4 disc set, including some specifics on the bonus disc…

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/8407/lincoln_2012.html

RE: Killing Lincoln - Jim Garrett - 04-04-2013 09:02 PM

(04-04-2013 04:58 PM)LincolnMan Wrote:  Interesting that the date will be April 14th.

My Dish network box crashed last week and took all my recorded shows with it. Just goes to show that there are second chances in lifeRolleyes

RE: Killing Lincoln - LincolnMan - 04-05-2013 09:17 AM

Jim: I didn't know that such a thing could happen with Dish!

RE: Killing Lincoln - RJNorton - 06-07-2013 10:30 AM

There is an encore showing of Killing Lincoln tonight (June 7) on the National Geographic Channel at 8 P.M. (ET)