Lincoln Discussion Symposium
"The Abolitionists" on PBS - Printable Version

+- Lincoln Discussion Symposium (https://rogerjnorton.com/LincolnDiscussionSymposium)
+-- Forum: Lincoln Discussion Symposium (/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: News and Announcements (/forum-7.html)
+--- Thread: "The Abolitionists" on PBS (/thread-604.html)

Pages: 1 2

"The Abolitionists" on PBS - Linda Anderson - 01-08-2013 01:38 PM

It premieres January 8, 15 & 22, 2013.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/americanexperience/films/abolitionists/

RE: "The Abolitionists" on PBS - Rsmyth - 01-08-2013 03:40 PM

Thanks for posting that Linda. I am going to watch it.

RE: "The Abolitionists" on PBS - LincolnMan - 01-09-2013 12:28 PM

I couldn't have watched it anyway on Jan. 8th-was celebrating Elvis' 78th birthday. No, just kidding. I completely missed this one, so thanks for letting us know. And yes-Elvis would have been 78 years old. He died at 42-way too young!

RE: "The Abolitionists" on PBS - JMadonna - 01-09-2013 06:57 PM

I ordered the BBC cd of 'Copper' and found it great. It takes place in NYC in 1864 and is a fascinating look at the effect of the war on the Blacks, Irish and wealthy who lived there during that time. The costumes and sets are great and it is true to history. Very gritty. It begins after the draft riots and ends with the attempt to burn the city. Even JWB makes an appearance.

I can't wait for season2. For those who haven't seen it - it's worth your while.

RE: "The Abolitionists" on PBS - Rsmyth - 01-09-2013 08:01 PM

Part 1 was very informative. Looking forward to the rest.

RE: "The Abolitionists" on PBS - ejsnyder - 01-10-2013 03:28 AM

The abolitionists were quite a radical force in the first half of the 19th century ( I would have liked to have watched this. but I work afternoons and do not have the ability to record programs). I wonder though if any of them had the mindset of what we would consider 20th century civil rights supporters.

RE: "The Abolitionists" on PBS - Linda Anderson - 01-10-2013 07:43 AM

(01-10-2013 03:28 AM)ejsnyder Wrote:  The abolitionists were quite a radical force in the first half of the 19th century ( I would have liked to have watched this. but I work afternoons and do not have the ability to record programs). I wonder though if any of them had the mindset of what we would consider 20th century civil rights supporters.

You can find the program on the PBS website. Try this link. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/americanexperien...itionists/

If it doesn't open, try this: http://video.pbs.org/video/2274405136/

RE: "The Abolitionists" on PBS - Rsmyth - 01-10-2013 09:43 AM

It is kinda interesting to consider that Eli Whitney inadvertently set the course that led to the start of the Civil War.

RE: "The Abolitionists" on PBS - Laurie Verge - 01-10-2013 11:26 AM

I did not realize until I read Nora Titone's great book, My Thoughts Be Bloody, that Edwin Booth was contributing to the abolitionist cause - largely through his friendship with the Howes. Julia and her husband appear to have been large contributors to John Brown and his raid on Harpers Ferry.

RE: "The Abolitionists" on PBS - Craig Hipkins - 01-11-2013 12:14 PM

Good information! It is indeed strange how two brothers (Edwin & John) could have been so different. I believe that the influence that Junius had on Edwin while the two traveled the country must have been the difference in how Edwin became an abolitionist. Imagine how history would have been so much different had Young John tagged along with the pair!

Craig

RE: "The Abolitionists" on PBS - Linda Anderson - 01-15-2013 07:01 PM

Part 2 of "The Abolitionists" is on PBS tonight at 9 o'clock.

RE: "The Abolitionists" on PBS - Linda Anderson - 01-22-2013 06:10 PM

Part 3 of "The Abolitionists" is on PBS tonight at 9.

RE: "The Abolitionists" on PBS - RJNorton - 01-22-2013 07:03 PM

Thanks, Linda.

RE: "The Abolitionists" on PBS - LincolnMan - 01-22-2013 10:39 PM

Didn't catch any of it! Does the series mention Zachariah Chandler?

RE: "The Abolitionists" on PBS - Linda Anderson - 01-22-2013 11:40 PM

(01-22-2013 10:39 PM)LincolnMan Wrote:  Didn't catch any of it! Does the series mention Zachariah Chandler?

No, the show focused on Frederick Douglass, William Lloyd Garrison, Harriet Beecher Stowe, Angelina Grimke and John Brown.