Lincoln Discussion Symposium
Abraham Lincoln sightings - Printable Version

+- Lincoln Discussion Symposium (https://rogerjnorton.com/LincolnDiscussionSymposium)
+-- Forum: Lincoln Discussion Symposium (/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Abraham Lincoln's Legacy (/forum-9.html)
+--- Thread: Abraham Lincoln sightings (/thread-577.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

Abraham Lincoln sightings - LincolnMan - 12-27-2012 11:05 AM

Those occasions when you have a "Lincoln sighting"- on a highway billboard or while watching a movie. I was in a mall and there was a picture of Lincoln being used for some financial group. To me, the sightings are almost a "wink" from Abe-sort of a "it's okay" from the big guy.

I'm watching the DVD "Major Dundee" last night with Charlton Heston and Richard Harris. There is a scene where Heston and Jim Hutton (both Union officers) are in discussion in a room where a prominent portrait of Lincoln is hanging on the wall. Of course, at the sighting-I'm more focused on the Lincoln picture than I am on the conversation. Great movie, by the way-even though there is no historical basis for the plot.

Where and what have been some of your unexpected Lincoln sightings?

RE: Abraham Lincoln sightings - Rob Wick - 12-27-2012 12:29 PM

When I was attending Eastern Illinois University, a friend told me about a statue that he and others found about three miles outside of Charleston. He said they were throwing snowballs at it and couldn't hit his hand. It is supposedly the world's tallest Lincoln statue and was commissioned for an anniversary of the Lincoln-Douglas Debates, one of which happened in Charleston. It's still standing, although they have added concrete sidewalks to it and various places around it that show various aspects of Lincoln's life.

One view
[Image: img4403p.jpg]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Another
[Image: img4392ew.jpg]

Best
Rob

RE: Abraham Lincoln sightings - LincolnMan - 12-27-2012 12:45 PM

That is awesome. I've never seen it. What is it made of?

RE: Abraham Lincoln sightings - Rob Wick - 12-27-2012 01:23 PM

I'm not sure Bill, but I would have to think reinforced fiberglass.

Best
Rob

RE: Abraham Lincoln sightings - ReignetteC - 12-28-2012 11:06 AM

A life-size bronze of President Lincoln greets visitors to the New York Historical Society.

URL=http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/692/img0402loi.jpg/][Image: img0402loi.jpg][/URL]

RE: Abraham Lincoln sightings - Mark MacKenzie - 12-28-2012 11:32 AM

I love that coat! ReignetteC please hurry with that book!

RE: Abraham Lincoln sightings - ReignetteC - 12-28-2012 06:40 PM

(12-28-2012 11:32 AM)Mark MacKenzie Wrote:  I love that coat! ReignetteC please hurry with that book!

Thanks, Mark.

RE: Abraham Lincoln sightings - Jim Page - 12-28-2012 07:24 PM

I love the Lincoln-on-the-steps statue, but I'm afraid that the Charleston Lincoln reminds me of the giant fiberglass Paul Bunyans you sometimes see outside muffler shops.

--Jim

RE: Abraham Lincoln sightings - BettyO - 12-29-2012 12:18 PM

That fiberglass one would have JWB and company running and screaming in terror! HA!

Here is the Lincoln and Tad Statue at Tredegar Iron Works (Now the Richmond Civil War Center) in Richmond, VA -

[Image: richlincolnstatue.jpg]

RE: Abraham Lincoln sightings - LincolnMan - 12-29-2012 09:03 PM

I love the New York statue. I looks very much like the plastic 54mm Lincoln made by the Marx Toy Company that was included in their Civil War playsets in the 1950's and 60's. It was that figure that aroused my interest in Lincoln at five years old.

RE: Abraham Lincoln sightings - J. Beckert - 12-29-2012 10:10 PM

That is a good one, Bill. They even have the mourning band on his hat. Very lifelike.

RE: Abraham Lincoln sightings - LincolnMan - 12-30-2012 12:06 PM

Betty: Were you there when the Richmond Lincoln statue was dedicated?

RE: Abraham Lincoln sightings - Gene C - 12-30-2012 01:39 PM

Betty, what a great statue, I've never seen it before.
What is the quote on the wall behind?

RE: Abraham Lincoln sightings - Chuck - 12-30-2012 02:13 PM

Rob,
I didn't know you also went to EIU. I was a geography major there before the statue was to be erected. A bunch of us geography majors were hired to clear the land the statue was originally located on. Unfortunately, it was out by itself and was damaged by those partying around it. I think it was sold and funds were raised to repair it. It was also moved. The new owner built a nice restaurant, camping trailer area, and miniature golf course around it. He also had ugly Lincoln statues carved and a had a great enclosure of peacocks. Unfortunately, he lost it and everything closed and sold. The statue is made of fiberglass and can be seen from the highway.

(12-27-2012 12:29 PM)Rob Wick Wrote:  When I was attending Eastern Illinois University, a friend told me about a statue that he and others found about three miles outside of Charleston. He said they were throwing snowballs at it and couldn't hit his hand. It is supposedly the world's tallest Lincoln statue and was commissioned for an anniversary of the Lincoln-Douglas Debates, one of which happened in Charleston. It's still standing, although they have added concrete sidewalks to it and various places around it that show various aspects of Lincoln's life.

One view
[Image: img4403p.jpg]

Another
[Image: img4392ew.jpg]

Best
Rob

RE: Abraham Lincoln sightings - L Verge - 12-30-2012 02:21 PM

Hi, Chuck....Laurie Verge from Surratt House. I miss seeing you now that I don't get to Lincoln conferences. Welcome aboard this great forum.