Lincoln Discussion Symposium
Grief - Printable Version

+- Lincoln Discussion Symposium (https://rogerjnorton.com/LincolnDiscussionSymposium)
+-- Forum: Lincoln Discussion Symposium (/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Other (/forum-10.html)
+--- Thread: Grief (/thread-563.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

RE: Grief - HerbS - 01-09-2013 11:01 AM

Great Post Christine! I live 5 miles from where that gunman killed those 2 firefighters on Christmas Eve! As of today-motive-His mother donated all of her money when she died to The West Webster Fire Department and he was not happy with that!Community support for those who were killed and or wounded is remarkable!God Lives!

RE: Grief - JMadonna - 01-09-2013 06:42 PM

I'm presently in Georgia, waiting for the birth of my first grandchild. We had an incident a few miles from here where a home intruder broke into a home. A woman and her 2 children ran upstairs in the attic where she called her husband. He told her to take the .38 and if he opened the door to shoot 'like I taught you". The intruder did and she shot him 5 times. The police said she did the right thing. I said to my wife that if this happened in the North the press coverage would be much different.

Sure enough, this morning there was Matt Lauer with his patented look of concerned disdain saying that 'some' people were actually happy with the result and that it would probably be used to forestall gun control legislation.

I'm so glad that the technique of trying to shame people into agreeing with the cultural media elites has no effect in the South.

RE: Grief - J. Beckert - 01-09-2013 07:57 PM

Congratulations on your first grandchild, Jerry. I hope everyone is healthy after the blessed event.
Thank God that woman and the children in that story you shared are O.K. You're right about the media reaction up here. There's a different spin on things when guns are used for what they were intended- protection.

RE: Grief - HerbS - 01-09-2013 08:05 PM

Jerry, Grandchildren are truely a gift from God.They tend to sooth grief!!!

RE: Grief - LincolnMan - 01-09-2013 09:50 PM

Congrats Jerry on becoming a grandpa!

RE: Grief - Rob Wick - 01-09-2013 10:07 PM

Congratulations Jerry, and hopefully your grandchild will grow up in a world that doesn't need that kind of protection.

Best
Rob

RE: Grief - JMadonna - 01-09-2013 10:36 PM

Thanks guys - Jan 17 is the day!

RE: Grief - Dawn E Foster - 01-09-2013 11:18 PM

Congratulations!!!

RE: Grief - RJNorton - 01-10-2013 08:22 AM

Congrats, Jerry!!

RE: Grief - BettyO - 01-10-2013 08:25 AM

Congratulations, Jerry - all the best to your family and that beautiful new Grandbaby!

RE: Grief - Gene C - 01-10-2013 11:16 AM

(01-09-2013 06:42 PM)JMadonna Wrote:  I'm presently in Georgia, waiting for the birth of my first grandchild. We had an incident a few miles from here where a home intruder broke into a home. A woman and her 2 children ran upstairs in the attic where she called her husband. He told her to take the .38 and if he opened the door to shoot 'like I taught you". The intruder did and she shot him 5 times. The police said she did the right thing. I said to my wife that if this happened in the North the press coverage would be much different.

Sure enough, this morning there was Matt Lauer with his patented look of concerned disdain saying that 'some' people were actually happy with the result and that it would probably be used to forestall gun control legislation.

I'm so glad that the technique of trying to shame people into agreeing with the cultural media elites has no effect in the South.

Here is the news article from Associated Press
http://news.yahoo.com/mom-shot-intruder-inspires-gun-control-foes-003753089.html

and early congratulations "Grandpa'

RE: Grief - JMadonna - 01-10-2013 11:34 AM

The local opinion is that she should have reloaded... I'm sure that the public reaction will put a chill in any copycat crimes for a while. If he survives, look for a highly publicized trial.

RE: Grief - Laurie Verge - 01-10-2013 11:39 AM

As the grandmother of a young man who will soon be turning 13, I send congratulations also as you enter the sainted sphere of being a grandparent. There are times when I would love to slap Aaron silly - but many more times when I just want to hug him and never let him go.

The best part of this past Christmas was he and I all alone in the family room, talking in the light of the Christmas tree until 3 am, and both of us falling asleep that way - he on the sofa and I in a lounge chair. Santa failed to wake us up!

For the first few years, your best part will be having the little one fall asleep on your chest or shoulder. Just remember to whisper in his/her ear how much Grandpa loves him/her and that you will always be there to help and encourage. I believe in osmosis.

RE: Grief - Rob Wick - 01-10-2013 11:43 AM

(01-10-2013 11:34 AM)JMadonna Wrote:  The local opinion is that she should have reloaded... I'm sure that the public reaction will put a chill in any copycat crimes for a while. If he survives, look for a highly publicized trial.

For every case like this there are far more where someone innocent is killed. This is an anomaly.

Best
Rob

RE: Grief - My Name Is Kate - 01-11-2013 03:20 AM

Why is it that eyewitness accounts of a second (and even third or fourth shooter) in some of these "lone gunman" mass shootings, is not mentioned in mainstream news, beyond an initial mention immediately after the event?