Lincoln Discussion Symposium
Breaking a leg - Printable Version

+- Lincoln Discussion Symposium (https://rogerjnorton.com/LincolnDiscussionSymposium)
+-- Forum: Lincoln Discussion Symposium (/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Assassination (/forum-5.html)
+--- Thread: Breaking a leg (/thread-505.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23

RE: Breaking a leg - Jim Garrett - 12-23-2012 04:28 PM

The Surratt Tavern will be closed this next month for renovation....(installation of the STUCKEY'S sign and drive-thru window). It will re-open in the spring with Pecan rolls, moon pies, RCs and grape sodas.

RE: Breaking a leg - Jim Page - 12-23-2012 04:55 PM

Well, Jim, that sounds as though it'll be worth the wait!

I'll soon be staggering around Clinton, Maryland, on the mother of all sugar highs!

--Jim

RE: Breaking a leg - L Verge - 12-23-2012 08:00 PM

Right now, I think there's a half-dozen or so of you guys staggering around your home full of early Christmas "cheer!"

I hope you sober up enough to fit into your Santa suits tomorrow night...

RE: Breaking a leg - Jim Garrett - 12-23-2012 08:08 PM

(12-23-2012 08:00 PM)L Verge Wrote:  Right now, I think there's a half-dozen or so of you guys staggering around your home full of early Christmas "cheer!"

I hope you sober up enough to fit into your Santa suits tomorrow night...

Ho Ho Ho

RE: Breaking a leg - Dave Taylor - 02-04-2013 10:56 PM

That's right I'm opening up the can of worms again!

First, a quick review:

Roger posted Michael Kauffman's article from the Blue and Gray laying out his theory regarding Booth's broken leg here.

John Elliott expanded on the ideas here.

I debated the idea that John Lloyd was told Booth broke his leg when his horse fell here.

While Kauffman uses the statements of David Herold and Dr. Mudd to support his theory, given the fact that they were co-conspirators who both tried to play ignorant of Booth's crime, nothing they said under examination can be taken at face value. Neither Dr. Mudd or Davy Herold could admit that Booth broke his leg while jumping to the stage after shooting the president, without implicating their knowledge of the events. Putting these statements aside, one major pro in Kauffman's theory are the statements of Thomas Davis, a farmhand on Mudd's farm. Davis noted that Booth's horse was, "lame in her front leg she was very lame before taken out of the stable" and had a "piece of skin off on the inside of the front left foreleg about as big as a silver quarter". This injury could be a result of Booth's horse falling, or perhaps the result of being ridden hard through rough, scratchy terrain.

I have always been on the fence about the two theories. To me, it always seemed to come down to when we wanted to believe Booth. Either we believe Booth through the words of Dr. Mudd and Davy Herold, or we believe what Booth wrote in his diary. There is an inherent unreliability with both. Dr. Mudd and Davy Herold both played dumb of Booth's crime when giving their statements to avoid further incrimination. Booth himself wrote in exaggerated statements in his diary. Forced between these two, believing Booth's own words seemed the lesser of two evils.

Recently, I have stumbled across a new aspect to the debate, which makes me cast more doubt on my previously held belief. I have a problem rectifying these telegrams (1 & 2, 3) describing Booth breaking his leg at the theatre.

Two of the telegrams are from Col. William Wood, who would later be in charge of Mary Surratt, Dr. Mudd and many witnesses and suspects in the Old Capital Prison. He writes in the morning of April 23rd, the following:

"There is no doubt but that Booth broke one of the bones in his leg in the jump on the stage of the theatre immediately after the murder."

Later the same day he sends the following:

"The assassins changed horses. Herold was riding the bay mare obtained from Pumphrey's Stable, and it may be possible that she fell or threw off Booth and broke his leg. However, I believe as I have written this morning."

The 3rd telegram, sent at 8 pm on April 23rd is from Major John Waite, who, like William Wood, is forwarding information gleaned from Brytantown. It says, in part:

"Booth fractured a bone of his leg in jumping upon the stage, not by falling near Bryantown."

My problem with these telegrams is this, from where did the soldiers get their information? Booth was still on the run and no one had read his diary when these telegrams were written. Therefore, Wood and Waite could not have gotten their information from Booth's writings. What's more, the 2 out of the 3 telegrams mentioned the idea that Booth fell off of his horse, though they dismissed this. The only person at Bryantown at the time who could have told the soldiers such specific details of Booth's broken leg would have been Dr. Mudd. Yet Dr. Mudd never admitted to any knowledge of the assassination over his entire life, let alone in the early days of the investigation. His statements in Bryantown on the 21st recount the idea that Booth broke his leg from a fall off a horse. Had Mudd admitted that the man who showed up at his house broke his leg when he jumped from the box after shooting Lincoln, he would have been certainly executed for not turning in the man he knew to be Lincoln's assassin.

The way I see it, the language of William Wood's telegrams show that he was under the impression that Booth broke his leg when he jumped to the stage, even though he had no evidence for it. In fact, the lines, "it may be possible that she fell or threw off Booth and broke his leg. However, I believe as I have written this morning," demonstrates that he ignored evidence to the contrary to his opinion and continued to support his idea without merit. The subsequent telegram from Waite must have been influenced by Wood's assertions, even though they were unfounded.

I honestly don't know how to take these telegrams. While they don't technically weaken or support either of the theories, I believe that they demonstrate the danger of sticking to a belief even when faced with contrary evidence. The fact is, there was no reliable way for Wood and Waite to know Booth broke his leg in jumping from the stage. With the exception of Booth's diary, there is no reliable way for us to know either. A collection of evidence, a deal of it noticeably circumstantial mind you, does support the idea of Booth falling from his horse. The amount of evidence seems to be in favor of Kauffman's theory, but it still seems to come down to whether or not we believe Booth's word. Due to this, I’m sure the debate will always exist.

RE: Breaking a leg - RJNorton - 02-05-2013 03:23 PM

Thank you, Dave, for your wonderful post and research. I agree; it seems we may never know for certain. I am intrigued by the mention of the break occurring at Ford's prior to the knowledge of what the diary said.

RE: Breaking a leg - Laurie Verge - 02-05-2013 04:53 PM

These telegrams are in the Hall files at the Surratt Research Center, and I believe that Joan Chaconas used them a few years back when she gave a talk on the Old Capitol Prison and William Wood. I remember seeing them once again just a few months ago.

We have the Davis comment about the injury to the horse, but we also have the comment by the D.C. stablehand (Fletcher?) that the horse had an injury derived from a saddle "malfunction." Let's speculate one more time and say that Herold and/or Booth told Mudd that Booth's leg had been broken at Ford's. Mudd then turned that around and suggested the cover story be the horse falling. Maybe one of the farmhands had a private talk with Wood?

My point is that we can go on speculating over this til the cows (or horses) come home. I do not believe that there is concrete evidence either way.

RE: Breaking a leg - Dave Taylor - 02-05-2013 05:03 PM

(02-05-2013 04:53 PM)Laurie Verge Wrote:  We have the Davis comment about the injury to the horse, but we also have the comment by the D.C. stablehand (Fletcher?) that the horse had an injury derived from a saddle "malfunction."

Davis describes both Booth and Davy's horses. It was Davy's horse that had the sore from the saddle. Fletcher describes this at the Surratt Trial and Davis describes this wound too. In the quote above regarding the lame front leg and wound the size of a coin, Davis is describing Booth's horse.

(02-05-2013 04:53 PM)Laurie Verge Wrote:  I do not believe that there is concrete evidence either way.

While I agree with you Laurie, the more I look into it, the less evidence I find pointing in favor of Booth breaking his leg at the theatre. Other than Booth's diary is there anything else that supports this idea?

RE: Breaking a leg - Laurie Verge - 02-05-2013 05:47 PM

Not to my knowledge - and the horse's injury would be ruled as speculation IMO. Therefore, I must admit that I am very tired of this story that I have had to deal with for about ten years or more.

Sorry for being grumpy. I just sat through four hours of ADA training (my fourth time of training since 1990). Today, Booth would be filing suit against every homeowner that he hobbled onto the land of... I am not being rude, either. I have my own disability.

RE: Breaking a leg - Jim Page - 02-05-2013 07:40 PM

(02-05-2013 04:53 PM)Laurie Verge Wrote:  . . . til the cows (or horses) come home.

There's another good Southern saying! Also: "I've got no dog in that fight!" And "kicks like a Missouri mule." And "rode hard and put to bed wet."

Laurie and I are here all week, folks!

--Jim

RE: Breaking a leg - Gene C - 02-05-2013 08:46 PM

After the assassination Booth "was hotter than a $2 pistol"

And Davey might be considered as "a few bricks shy of a full load"

RE: Breaking a leg - Jim Page - 02-05-2013 09:05 PM

(02-05-2013 08:46 PM)Gene C Wrote:  After the assassination Booth "was hotter than a $2 pistol"

And Davey might be considered as "a few bricks shy of a full load"

Good ones, Gene! Here's another one: " . . . as all get out!"

And, "I'm fixing to . . ."

My mom used to chide me all the time on those!

--Jim

RE: Breaking a leg - HerbS - 02-06-2013 09:55 AM

One of my favorites,"That dog will hunt,"My friend from KY while we were playing golf!By goly it did!--Us for the ball !!!!

RE: Breaking a leg - BettyO - 02-06-2013 10:16 AM

My dad also used to say, "That dog won't hunt!" or "That dog don't hunt!"

Another one is "In a coon's age!"

My ex liked to used the phrase "Rode hard and put away wet!" to describe something rough - which is derived from riding a horse hard and then putting the animal in it's stall without walking it about to cool it down or rubbing it down to remove the sweat. A horse 's sweat can foam up like shaving cream when it sweats - it's called lathering.

I had a mahogany bay mare (looks black unless you get it in strong sunlight) and she would lather up at the drop of a hat. It usually depends on the horse's temperament. If it is spirited, it will sweat or lather easily -

[Image: sweatyhorse.jpg]

Lathering Horse

RE: Breaking a leg - MaddieM - 02-06-2013 01:35 PM

(12-23-2012 04:28 PM)Jim Garrett Wrote:  The Surratt Tavern will be closed this next month for renovation....(installation of the STUCKEY'S sign and drive-thru window). It will re-open in the spring with Pecan rolls, moon pies, RCs and grape sodas.

We don't have those in the UK. Sad We have fig rolls, manchester tarts, cucumber sandwiches and lashings of ginger beer.