Lincoln Discussion Symposium
New Member on site - Printable Version

+- Lincoln Discussion Symposium (https://rogerjnorton.com/LincolnDiscussionSymposium)
+-- Forum: Lincoln Discussion Symposium (/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Assassination (/forum-5.html)
+--- Thread: New Member on site (/thread-4933.html)

New Member on site - John Wideman - 03-12-2024 02:11 PM

Let me introduce myself as a new member. My name is John Wideman. I have been a War Between the States enthusiast since early childhood. I had many family members who served in the Confederate army. I have written several related books including "The Sinking of the USS Cairo", Univ Press of Miss, 1992; "Naval Warfare: Courage and Combat on the Waters," part of the Civil War Chronicles series from MetroBooks; "Civil War Torpedoes: A History of Improvised Explosive Devices in the War Between the States," privately published 2012.
The first book about the USS Cairo is pretty much a biography of my great-great-grandfather Zere McDaniel ... spy, saboteur, terrorist, operational head of the Confederate Secret Service run by Gen Gabriel Raines.
I found this site through my continued search for information and noted a thread entry about the explosion at City Point, Virginia, in August 1864. Roger Norton was kind enough to allow me to join.
I wish to be helpful and will publish some things Lincolnian that may be of interest to the other members. After all, my folks tried to kill him a couple of times and failed.
I enjoy spirited debate based on facts with the unknowns plainly defined as unknowns.
https://www.upress.state.ms.us/Books/T/The-Sinking-of-the-USS-Cairo#:~:text=In%201862%2C%20in%20one%20of,It%20sank%20within%20minutes.

This is my book. Plenty of used copies available for cheap. It covers the City Point, Virginia, depot destruction operation in detail but to save time I will do a separate entry on that as well as other things.
I accept constructive criticism.

RE: New Member on site - jbarry - 03-16-2024 08:53 AM

Welcome John!

RE: New Member on site - wpbinzel - 03-21-2024 03:44 PM

Welcome, John! You will be awed by the knowledge of the members of the Forum, and will likely spend many hours reading past threads. Roger Norton has done a great service to those of us who have an interest in history, and want to understand and learn from our past.

RE: New Member on site - Rob Wick - 03-21-2024 04:28 PM

Welcome, John.

Best
Rob

RE: New Member on site - Steve - 03-21-2024 08:47 PM

Welcome John!

RE: New Member on site - jbarry - 03-23-2024 10:38 AM

(03-12-2024 02:11 PM)John Wideman Wrote:  Let me introduce myself as a new member. My name is John Wideman. I have been a War Between the States enthusiast since early childhood. I had many family members who served in the Confederate army. I have written several related books including "The Sinking of the USS Cairo", Univ Press of Miss, 1992; "Naval Warfare: Courage and Combat on the Waters," part of the Civil War Chronicles series from MetroBooks; "Civil War Torpedoes: A History of Improvised Explosive Devices in the War Between the States," privately published 2012.
The first book about the USS Cairo is pretty much a biography of my great-great-grandfather Zere McDaniel ... spy, saboteur, terrorist, operational head of the Confederate Secret Service run by Gen Gabriel Raines.
I found this site through my continued search for information and noted a thread entry about the explosion at City Point, Virginia, in August 1864. Roger Norton was kind enough to allow me to join.
I wish to be helpful and will publish some things Lincolnian that may be of interest to the other members. After all, my folks tried to kill him a couple of times and failed.
I enjoy spirited debate based on facts with the unknowns plainly defined as unknowns.
https://www.upress.state.ms.us/Books/T/The-Sinking-of-the-USS-Cairo#:~:text=In%201862%2C%20in%20one%20of,It%20sank%20within%20minutes.

This is my book. Plenty of used copies available for cheap. It covers the City Point, Virginia, depot destruction operation in detail but to save time I will do a separate entry on that as well as other things.
I accept constructive criticism.

Hi John, just got your book on Kindle, and I look forward to reading it!