Lincoln Discussion Symposium
It HAD to Happen..... (more levity?!?) - Printable Version

+- Lincoln Discussion Symposium (https://rogerjnorton.com/LincolnDiscussionSymposium)
+-- Forum: Lincoln Discussion Symposium (/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Assassination (/forum-5.html)
+--- Thread: It HAD to Happen..... (more levity?!?) (/thread-470.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

RE: It HAD to Happen..... (more levity?!?) - BettyO - 11-08-2012 09:13 AM

Years ago, the Surratt docents (yours truly included) used to do living history at the historic Beale Dawson House in Rockville, Maryland. Myself, Laurie, Joan Chaconas, Louise Oertley, Nancy Griffith - all the old Boothies, went and participated in this. It was a lot of fun! A very young Mike Kauffman would also show up occasionally. One year it was raining and we were bored. We couldn't go outside and float around in our hoop skirts, visitation was extremely low, and we just wafted through the house. Joan can play the piano. She sat down at the 1850s piano in the parlor and played "In the Shade of the Old Apple Tree" to which Joan and I rewrote the lyrics to be "In the Shade of the Old Gallows Tree"......

RE: It HAD to Happen..... (more levity?!?) - RJNorton - 11-08-2012 09:32 AM

When you mentioned Rockville, Maryland, John Surratt's lecture came to mind. Is the building where he gave his lecture still standing?

RE: It HAD to Happen..... (more levity?!?) - BettyO - 11-08-2012 12:42 PM

You know Roger - I don't really know!! I'd love to find out -- bet Ed Steers or Laurie knows....

RE: It HAD to Happen..... (more levity?!?) - MaddieM - 11-08-2012 02:06 PM

Oh my giddy aunt!! Have you listened to it? Please don't tell me he sounds like Tiny Tim!!! hahaha

RE: It HAD to Happen..... (more levity?!?) - BettyO - 11-08-2012 02:48 PM

Now I haven't listened to it first.... Haven't really had time to! But I will....HA!

And folks - you can say you heard it here first! HA!

RE: It HAD to Happen..... (more levity?!?) - jonathan - 11-08-2012 03:41 PM

Wow, unbelievable. I'm very curious to know exactly what/who this is. And the possibilities for this thread are enormous. How about "Another One Bites the Dust" for the 5 who died, or "Before You Accuse Me" for those on trial, or "Desperado" for Booth and Herald's escape. Hmmm....must.......resist urge....to......go overboard...with this.....lol

RE: It HAD to Happen..... (more levity?!?) - Donna McCreary - 11-08-2012 04:06 PM

(11-07-2012 08:45 PM)LincolnMan Wrote:  I think the B Side would have to be Papa Don't Preach (I'm in trouble deep). Smile

Johnny Cash had a great song titled "25 Minutes to Go" about a man's last 25 minutes in a western jail. It would make a great B side selection!
25 MINUTES TO GO
Well they're building a gallows outside my cell; I've got 25 minutes to go
And the whole town's waitin' just to hear me yell; I've got 24 minutes to go
Well they gave me some beans for my last meal; I've got 23 minutes to go
But nobody asked me how I feel; I've got 22 minutes to go

Well I sent for the governor and the whole darn bunch with 21 minutes to go
And I called up the mayor but he's out to lunch; I've got 20 more minutes to go
Then the sheriff said BOY I'm gonna watch you die with 19 minutes to go
So I laughed in his face and I spit in his eye with 18 minutes to go
Now hear comes the preacher for to save my soul with 13 minutes to go
And he's talking bout' burnin' but I'm so cold; 12 more minutes to go
Now they're testin' the trap and it chills my spine 11 more minutes to go
And the trap and the rope, aw they work just fine 10 more minutes to go
Well I'm waitin' for the pardon that'll set me free with 9 more minutes to go
But this AINT THE MOVIES so forget about me 8 more minutes to go
With my feet on the trap and my head in the noose 5 more minutes to go
Won't somebody come and cut me loose with 4 more minutes to go
I can see the mountains I can see the skies with 3 more minutes to go
And it's too darn pretty for a man to want to die 2 more minutes to go
I can see the buzzards I can hear the crows 1 more minute to go
And now I'm swingin' and here I go-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o!

(moans and groans can be heard)

RE: It HAD to Happen..... (more levity?!?) - LincolnMan - 11-08-2012 04:38 PM

Donna: you nailed that one! I remember that song from an album by John Cash I had back in 1969-one of his live prison albums. Johnny Cash was the man!

RE: It HAD to Happen..... (more levity?!?) - Gene C - 11-08-2012 05:37 PM

And here it is....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qCVxQcsdpWI

RE: It HAD to Happen..... (more levity?!?) - LincolnMan - 11-08-2012 08:37 PM

Well, none to be outdone, but "everybody's always trying to get into the act." See here: http://www.amazon.com/The-Smoking-Ballad-Samuel-Mudd/dp/B000SH0AG4/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1352421294&sr=8-6&keywords=samuel+mudd

I wonder if he is related?

RE: It HAD to Happen..... (more levity?!?) - BettyO - 11-08-2012 09:43 PM

Here, too Bill...."A Mother's Tears - the Ballard of Lewis Powell"....

http://www.amazon.com/A-Mothers-Tears/dp/B000QM041W/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_2?s=dmusic&ie=UTF8&qid=1352425371&sr=1-2-fkmr1&keywords=Douglas+Spears+A+Mothers+tears

RE: It HAD to Happen..... (more levity?!?) - L Verge - 11-08-2012 10:21 PM

You guys are way ahead of me here, but didn't Tony Rice record something that had to do with Booth or the assassination?

Roger asked if the courthouse in Rockville where John Surratt lectured in 1870 is still there. I don't believe it is. There is an Old Brick Courthouse that a historical society works out of, but I think it dates about the 1890s. Jim Garrett lives near Rockville, so he can correct me if I'm wrong. Surratt taught in Rockville for awhile, and this is where he met his wife, Mary Victorine Hunter, second cousin to Francis Scott Key.

RE: It HAD to Happen..... (more levity?!?) - Gene C - 11-08-2012 10:56 PM

Here it is Laurie, One of my favorites

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yv-5cy_mjoc

RE: It HAD to Happen..... (more levity?!?) - Donna McCreary - 11-09-2012 01:14 AM

(11-08-2012 04:38 PM)LincolnMan Wrote:  Donna: you nailed that one! I remember that song from an album by John Cash I had back in 1969-one of his live prison albums. Johnny Cash was the man!

I think Johnny also recorded this song on an album titled "Mean as Hell." The first time my mother listened to the song all the way through, she jumped off the sofa and yelled, "They hung him!" She was hoping the song would have a happy ending.

RE: It HAD to Happen..... (more levity?!?) - LincolnMan - 11-09-2012 09:51 AM

Nope, no happy ending!