Lincoln Discussion Symposium
Lincoln and his Brooks Brothers wool coat - Printable Version

+- Lincoln Discussion Symposium (https://rogerjnorton.com/LincolnDiscussionSymposium)
+-- Forum: Lincoln Discussion Symposium (/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: News and Announcements (/forum-7.html)
+--- Thread: Lincoln and his Brooks Brothers wool coat (/thread-3614.html)

Lincoln and his Brooks Brothers wool coat - David Lockmiller - 01-11-2018 04:04 PM

Abraham Lincoln was dressed in a custom-made Brooks Brothers wool coat for his inauguration in 1865 to a second presidential term. Double-breasted with trim tape outlining hem, lapel and a small ticket pocket, that coat had a lightly padded lining that was embroidered with an eagle motif and a motto. Had history played out differently, we would have little cause to remember what seems like a singularly Lincoln-esque detail about this simple garment: “One Country, One Destiny” stitched inside, to be worn against his narrow frame and known only to a few besides Lincoln’s tailor and the Great Emancipator himself. But, of course, it was that same Brooks Brothers coat that Lincoln selected one month later for an outing to Ford’s Theater, where he was assassinated by John Wilkes Booth.

A photograph of a replica of Lincoln's coat is shown in the article Brooks Brothers Celebrates 200 Years With a Party — in Florence

(Source: New York Times - January 11, 2018)

RE: Lincoln and his Brooks Brothers wool coat - RJNorton - 01-11-2018 04:31 PM

I am sure looking forward to Reignette's book on this subject. There is some information from Reignette here.

RE: Lincoln and his Brooks Brothers wool coat - David Lockmiller - 01-11-2018 10:10 PM

(01-11-2018 04:31 PM)RJNorton Wrote:  I am sure looking forward to Reignette's book on this subject. There is some information from Reignette here.

Sorry about that. I don't follow the trivia thread very much and I was unaware that Reignette was writing a book on the subject.

I have an alert set for "A. Lincoln" on my New York Times electronic subscription and I post the best ones (most NYTimes alerts) to the Lincoln Discussion Symposium.

For once, at least, President Lincoln appears to have been very well-dressed for his second inauguration. Mary must have been really surprised to see him dressed so well. I look forward to learning the story of Mary's reaction to Lincoln's new look. On the other hand, I wonder if Mary may have played a role in the selection process for Lincoln's attire. Reignette's book may have the answer to that question.

RE: Lincoln and his Brooks Brothers wool coat - LincolnMan - 01-12-2018 07:19 AM

Great information.

RE: Lincoln and his Brooks Brothers wool coat - ReignetteC - 02-13-2019 09:57 PM

In honor of Lincoln's birthday, Brooks Brothers posted an article about Lincoln's greatcoat. There are some facts that my extensive research on the subject would challenge, but overall, the timely article should be of interest. Here is the link: http://brksb.rs/6043T8CTl