Lincoln Discussion Symposium
Lincoln's Lover: Mary Lincoln in Poetry - Printable Version

+- Lincoln Discussion Symposium (https://rogerjnorton.com/LincolnDiscussionSymposium)
+-- Forum: Lincoln Discussion Symposium (/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Books - over 15,000 to discuss (/forum-6.html)
+--- Thread: Lincoln's Lover: Mary Lincoln in Poetry (/thread-3590.html)

Pages: 1 2

Lincoln's Lover: Mary Lincoln in Poetry - Susan Higginbotham - 12-22-2017 01:23 PM

Coming out next month, "Lincoln’s Lover: Mary Lincoln in Poetry is a compilation of poetry written by, for, and about Mary Lincoln dating from 1839 to 2012." Edited by Jason Emerson.

https://www.amazon.com/Lincolns-Lover-Mary-Lincoln-Poetry/dp/1606353063/ref=pd_sbs_14_2?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=76K6NATJD0GKT9N1VW3M

RE: Lincoln's Lover: Mary Lincoln in Poetry - LincolnMan - 12-23-2017 10:29 AM

Awesome!

RE: Lincoln's Lover: Mary Lincoln in Poetry - kerry - 12-23-2017 01:33 PM

I'm definitely interested in reading this.

RE: Lincoln's Lover: Mary Lincoln in Poetry - LincolnMan - 12-24-2017 12:43 PM

I have just one problem: now that I’ve moved I have more books than space to put them. We downsized.

RE: Lincoln's Lover: Mary Lincoln in Poetry - Gene C - 12-24-2017 01:23 PM

Kitchen cabinets make excellent bookshelves.
How many dishes, pots and pans do you really need?

Let's help Bill out here with some creative ideas.
- Under the bed storage containers.
- Remove the legs off the table and replace with book shelves

RE: Lincoln's Lover: Mary Lincoln in Poetry - RJNorton - 12-24-2017 01:30 PM

We also downsized when we moved into this house; we use the floor of a closet for the books we have no room for. However, there is no organization, so the book you are looking for is near impossible to find.

RE: Lincoln's Lover: Mary Lincoln in Poetry - Anita - 12-24-2017 05:37 PM

Very excited to learn about Jason's new book! I just pre-ordered. Thanks Susan.

Bill, finding room for books is a challenge. Here are some creative ideas. Not sure about the fireplace!
https://www.homedit.com/20-unusual-books-storage-ideas-for-book-lovers/

RE: Lincoln's Lover: Mary Lincoln in Poetry - AussieMick - 12-24-2017 07:10 PM

Not sure about the 'bathroom' either.

RE: Lincoln's Lover: Mary Lincoln in Poetry - kerry - 12-24-2017 10:56 PM

The staircase one is great.

RE: Lincoln's Lover: Mary Lincoln in Poetry - Susan Higginbotham - 12-24-2017 11:59 PM

Hhm, we do have a second staircase in our house and an unfinished basement . . .

RE: Lincoln's Lover: Mary Lincoln in Poetry - Gene C - 12-25-2017 09:35 AM

Take the door off your linen closet and you have a nice built in bookshelf.
How many sheets and towels do you really need?

RE: Lincoln's Lover: Mary Lincoln in Poetry - Eva Elisabeth - 12-25-2017 04:41 PM

(12-24-2017 05:37 PM)Anita Wrote:  Very excited to learn about Jason's new book! I just pre-ordered. Thanks Susan.

Bill, finding room for books is a challenge. Here are some creative ideas. Not sure about the fireplace!
https://www.homedit.com/20-unusual-books-storage-ideas-for-book-lovers/
Well, the suits in those photos don't really lack room...(I don't even have most of the rooms
or furniture...)

RE: Lincoln's Lover: Mary Lincoln in Poetry - L Verge - 12-25-2017 07:09 PM

If you have good books that you want to last for years, please don't store them in bathrooms (as shown). The moisture will ruin them!

RE: Lincoln's Lover: Mary Lincoln in Poetry - Donna McCreary - 01-29-2020 09:39 PM

I just finished reading Lincoln's Lover: Mary Lincoln in Poetry by Jason Emerson.

Reading the often overlooked angles of history are interesting, and this is just that - an overlooked angle. Most of the poems focus on the tragedies of Mary's life - Willie's death, the insanity trial, the negative stories. Others sing of her tributes.

My favorite (at least one of my favorites) is "Lady of Lincoln" by Dr. Marion Mills Miller. The last stanza was included on the title page of Katherine Helm's, True Story of Mary: Wife of Lincoln.

Jason also prefaced each poem with historical context of the verses, and a bit of information about the poet.

For those who enjoy poetry, I think you will enjoy this book.

(12-24-2017 12:43 PM)LincolnMan Wrote:  I have just one problem: now that I’ve moved I have more books than space to put them. We downsized.

Build a "Christmas tree" in the corner of a room.

Here is a nice article about how and why to build one along with some photos of finished trees.

https://www.mnn.com/lifestyle/recycling/blogs/clever-christmas-tree-trend-trees-made-of-books

RE: Lincoln's Lover: Mary Lincoln in Poetry - LincolnMan - 01-30-2020 09:11 AM

Regarding my storage issues. It has not been solved. House is just too small. Much of my library is stored away in plastic bins. My only hope is that our current house will not be our last one. We have one more move before we say done for good. Maybe the next house will have more capacity for books. Thanks for all the neat ideas though!