Lincoln Discussion Symposium
Extra Credit Questions - Printable Version

+- Lincoln Discussion Symposium (https://rogerjnorton.com/LincolnDiscussionSymposium)
+-- Forum: Lincoln Discussion Symposium (/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Trivia Questions - all things Lincoln (/forum-8.html)
+--- Thread: Extra Credit Questions (/thread-3582.html)

RE: Extra Credit Questions - David Lockmiller - 07-20-2023 10:41 AM

(07-20-2023 10:36 AM)RJNorton Wrote:  Th sketch is from Frank Leslie's Illustrated Newspaper, May 13, 1865, 116.

Thank you, Roger. The caption under the sketch reads: "The President's funeral car, on a steam lighter, approaching New York from Jersey City, April 24, 1865."

It may be just a coincidence, but the following story appears in the New York Times today: "An endurance athlete plans to swim all 315 miles of the Hudson River."

RE: Extra Credit Questions - David Lockmiller - 07-22-2023 10:50 AM

(07-20-2023 10:41 AM)David Lockmiller Wrote:  the following story appears in the New York Times today: "An endurance athlete plans to swim all 315 miles of the Hudson River."

The following "Lincoln" story appears in the New York Times today:

During its 315-mile journey from the Adirondacks to New York City, the Hudson River ranges from meek creek to mighty byway, flows past ghost towns, bombed-out factories and the state capital, and vacillates between stretches of pristine beauty and fetid intrusions of chemicals, bacteria and other toxic backwash.

And it is into that unpredictable mix that the British endurance athlete Lewis Pugh intends to dive next month, wearing nothing more than a Speedo, cap and goggles, with the intention of swimming the length of the Hudson — a monthlong plunge meant to draw attention to both the river’s continuing rescue and the work still to be done, here and elsewhere.

“I’ve been looking for a river for many, many years which could tell the story about all rivers,” said Mr. Pugh, 53, whose previous long-distance swims have included the length of the English Channel, some 325 miles. “And always, every single time, it comes back to the Hudson.”

RE: Extra Credit Questions - RJNorton - 08-01-2023 01:38 PM

What is this person's name? He was a doctor.

[Image: beardedgent10.jpg]

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Anita - 08-01-2023 02:03 PM

Did he ever treat a Lincoln family member?

RE: Extra Credit Questions - RJNorton - 08-01-2023 03:08 PM

Yes, he treated Abraham.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - AussieMick - 08-01-2023 06:38 PM

Did he cut Lincoln's toenails ( Ive obviously forgotten his name)

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Eva Elisabeth - 08-01-2023 06:50 PM

"Dr" Zacharie?

RE: Extra Credit Questions - AussieMick - 08-01-2023 07:06 PM

Thanks, Eva. Thats the one of whom I was thinking.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - RJNorton - 08-02-2023 04:55 AM

Great job, Michael and Eva. Yes, it's Isachar Zacharie, Lincoln's foot doctor. He did other things for Lincoln as well.

On September 22, 1862, Lincoln wrote, "Dr. Zacharie has operated on my feet with great success, and considerable addition to my comfort."

Here are a few links which discuss Zacharie.

https://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org/isachar-zacharie

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isachar_Zacharie

RE: Extra Credit Questions - David Lockmiller - 08-02-2023 09:52 AM

(08-02-2023 04:55 AM)RJNorton Wrote:  On September 22, 1862, Lincoln wrote, "Dr. Zacharie has operated on my feet with great success, and considerable addition to my comfort."

Roger, I am curious to know where Lincoln wrote this.

When I read this, it reminded me of my post (#11) on the blind memorandum thread. Secretary Welles was quoted as follows in one of his diary posts:

"The President was making some statement as to a document of his, and said he supposed his style was peculiar and had its earmarks, so that it could not be mistaken."

Abraham Lincoln had a unique ability to be both concise and complete in his statements.

(08-02-2023 04:55 AM)RJNorton Wrote:  Here are a few links which discuss Zacharie.

https://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org/isachar-zacharie

In early1863, a friend discussed with Abraham Lincoln the idea of restoring European Jewry to its ancient homeland in Palestine. Lincoln agreed that the vision of a Jewish state in the Holy Land merited consideration. “I myself have regard for the Jews,” he is reported to have said. “My chiropodist is a Jew, and he has so many times ‘put me on my feet’ that I would have no objection to giving his countrymen ‘a leg up.”‘

Lincoln was referring to Isachar Zacharie, his foot doctor and confidant. . . .

Zacharie was born in England. While he never attended college or medical school, Zacharie was trained in chiropody and called himself a doctor. Zacharie emigrated to America in the mid-1 840s and worked in several cities before settling in Washington, D.C., in 1862. Zacharie’s reputation for treating foot pain attracted Secretary of War Edwin M. Stanton, Secretary of State William Henry Seward and, eventually, President Lincoln as clients.

Zacharie and Lincoln exchanged views while Zacharie worked on the president’s feet, and they became intimate friends. Lincoln sought Zacharie’s advice and opinions on matters of state, especially Jewish affairs. By the end of 1862, Lincoln trusted Zacharie enough to ask him to travel to New Orleans, which had been captured by Union troops. His mission was to mingle with the Southern population and gain a view of its sentiments toward General Nathaniel P. Banks, who had just assumed command of the Department of the Gulf, and Union policies in general.

Zacharie recruited a cadre of peddlers to send back vital information, such as Confederate troop movements. Zacharie did his own investigating as well, both to gauge Southern feeling and to watch out for contraband shipments. He did what he could to help New Orleans’ Jews withstand the shortages of food and medication during wartime. He also advised Lincoln to rescind General Ulysses S. Grant’s expulsion of Jews from the Department of the Tennessee.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - wpbinzel - 08-02-2023 02:53 PM

Our very good friend, Ernie Abel, wrote the biography on Dr. Zacharie. I miss Ernie, but will forever be grateful that our paths crossed.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - RJNorton - 08-10-2023 08:37 AM

Who are the four people depicted in this statue?

[Image: 4individuals.jpg]

RE: Extra Credit Questions - mbgross - 08-10-2023 08:49 AM

Mr. and Mrs. Thomas Lincoln, Sarah and Abe?

RE: Extra Credit Questions - RJNorton - 08-10-2023 09:38 AM

Well done, Mike! Yes, it's the Lincoln family - Nancy Hanks Lincoln, Thomas Lincoln, Sarah Lincoln, and little Abraham Lincoln. It's located inside the Visitor Center at the Abraham Lincoln Birthplace National Historic Site.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - RJNorton - 08-21-2023 04:43 AM

No googling please.

What is this?

[Image: guesswhat600.jpg]