Lincoln Discussion Symposium
Extra Credit Questions - Printable Version

+- Lincoln Discussion Symposium (https://rogerjnorton.com/LincolnDiscussionSymposium)
+-- Forum: Lincoln Discussion Symposium (/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Trivia Questions - all things Lincoln (/forum-8.html)
+--- Thread: Extra Credit Questions (/thread-3582.html)

RE: Extra Credit Questions - AussieMick - 03-31-2020 09:01 PM

Can anybody identify the connection between the following ....

An old pair of trousers
Fort Pickens
"Glance"

RE: Extra Credit Questions - RJNorton - 04-01-2020 03:50 AM

Does it have to do with a person named William Crosby?

RE: Extra Credit Questions - AussieMick - 04-01-2020 04:52 AM

Roger, no . Mr Crosby was not involved.

Of course, Lincoln is a primary player in this question. There was another person involved though.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - RJNorton - 04-01-2020 04:59 AM

Could it involve Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr?

RE: Extra Credit Questions - AussieMick - 04-01-2020 05:06 AM

No, not him either.
It does involve (in addition to the person to whom Lincoln was talking ) someone who's name we don't know.

That's not too helpful is it, unless you recall one of Lincoln's favorite habits / pastimes.

Fort Pickens was of course at one end of the War ... at the other end was the mention of the trousers.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - AussieMick - 04-01-2020 07:04 AM

Fort Pickens involved a naval expedition ... and the other relevant event (which caused mention of trousers) near the end of the War was also naval related.

Lincoln seemed to have a bit of a problem with rivers, didnt he?

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Gene C - 04-01-2020 12:16 PM

(04-01-2020 07:04 AM)AussieMick Wrote:  Lincoln seemed to have a bit of a problem with rivers, didnt he?

Problems, yes.
I think he understood rivers very well, since he helped pilot a flatboat down the Mississippi River at least twice. He understood their power, that you could not take much for granted in trying to navigate, and you always had to be alert.

His largest and probably most significant case as a lawyer involved a riverboat, and a railroad bridge over the Mississippi River.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - AussieMick - 04-01-2020 05:35 PM

Yes, Gene. He knew all about rivers and their potential for assisting communities to make use of resources.

He knew too about how to deal with obstacles. ... in the event Im asking about , he had to rely on help from the navy.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - AussieMick - 04-01-2020 08:41 PM

There were 2 young men closely involved in the Fort Pickens affair. One of them is the person to whom Lincoln spoke about trousers.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - RJNorton - 04-02-2020 04:57 AM

Michael, I am sorry, but I don't understand. Ft. Pickens was in Florida and Abraham Lincoln was never in Florida. I am lost on this one.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - AussieMick - 04-02-2020 05:25 AM

Ok. We have 3 "items" that have a person , not Lincoln, connecting them.

"Glance" ( that's a tricky one I suggest )
Old pair of trousers.
Fort Pickens.

Lincoln didn't go to Fort Pickens, true. But at the beginning of his presidency he was involved in "Fort Pickens " ( much like JFK and Bay of Pigs .... well sort of. ) 2 young men were the main leaders of that escapade .

One of the young men was with Lincoln later at the other end of the War, when the connection to the other 2 items happened.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - AussieMick - 04-02-2020 06:37 AM

Towards the end of the war there was a slight problem . Involving a river.

Lincoln on a river.

Back to Fort Pickens. There was Montgomery Meigs .... and

RE: Extra Credit Questions - RJNorton - 04-02-2020 09:03 AM

(04-02-2020 06:37 AM)AussieMick Wrote:  Lincoln on a river.

Was the river the Potomac?

RE: Extra Credit Questions - AussieMick - 04-02-2020 04:39 PM

No, Roger. The James.

With respect to Fort Pickens, someone declined to follow an order. Would help to know that person's name.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - AussieMick - 04-03-2020 07:09 AM

I believe that Richmond is on the James River. Not an easy river to travel along.