Lincoln Discussion Symposium
Extra Credit Questions - Printable Version

+- Lincoln Discussion Symposium (https://rogerjnorton.com/LincolnDiscussionSymposium)
+-- Forum: Lincoln Discussion Symposium (/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Trivia Questions - all things Lincoln (/forum-8.html)
+--- Thread: Extra Credit Questions (/thread-3582.html)

RE: Extra Credit Questions - mbgross - 05-19-2019 01:21 PM

Canada?

RE: Extra Credit Questions - RJNorton - 05-19-2019 02:34 PM

I am sorry, Mike, but Steve got it. Kudos, Steve!

I came across this information in the Spring 2019 edition of the Lincoln Forum Bulletin:

"A 30-inch high, original bronze bust of Lincoln - the work of New York sculptor Frank R. Porcu - has been gifted by the Forum to the South American township of Lincoln, Argentina.

The town - some four hours northwest of Buenos Aires - is believed to be the first municipality outside the United States named for Abraham Lincoln. The designation was ordered by Argentinian president Domingo Faustino Sarmiento (1811-1888), a passionate admirer of the American president. Sarmiento went on to write and publish a Spanish language Lincoln biography."

RE: Extra Credit Questions - L Verge - 05-20-2019 07:22 PM

I believe that there is only one public airport in the U.S. named after Mr. Lincoln. Where is it located?

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Steve - 05-20-2019 07:32 PM

Lincoln, Nebraska?

RE: Extra Credit Questions - L Verge - 05-20-2019 07:51 PM

(05-20-2019 07:32 PM)Steve Wrote:  Lincoln, Nebraska?

If there is one there, it's not the one that my source cited. I think the distinction might be that the one in Nebraska is named for the city, whereas the one I'm thinking of carries Lincoln's full name?

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Steve - 05-21-2019 01:14 AM

The airport in Lincoln, Nebraska is called Lincoln Airport. For my second guess, I'll say an airport somewhere near Springfield, Illinois?

RE: Extra Credit Questions - RJNorton - 05-21-2019 04:40 AM

No idea, so I'll guess the most populated state (and thus probably the one with the most airports) - California.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - L Verge - 05-21-2019 10:04 AM

(05-21-2019 01:14 AM)Steve Wrote:  The airport in Lincoln, Nebraska is called Lincoln Airport. For my second guess, I'll say an airport somewhere near Springfield, Illinois?

You just have to name the airport now, Steve, because it is in Springfield (although one source said Springville). BTW: The airport in your first guess shares a dual purpose just like the one that I am hinting at now.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Steve - 05-21-2019 11:25 AM

With a little Google assist... Abraham Lincoln Capital Airport

RE: The Study of Lincoln... - LincolnMan - 06-14-2019 05:53 AM

This past week I asked three African-American patients of mine if they thought Lincoln owned slaves. To my shock they all answered in the affirmative. I guess I shouldn’t be shocked but I was. Oh how we need to study Lincoln more than ever.

RE: The Study of Lincoln... - David Lockmiller - 06-14-2019 09:47 AM

(06-14-2019 05:53 AM)LincolnMan Wrote:  This past week I asked three African-American patients of mine if they thought Lincoln owned slaves. To my shock they all answered in the affirmative. I guess I shouldn’t be shocked but I was. Oh how we need to study Lincoln more than ever.

I would never have thought to ask such a question. Why did you? And, upon what specific information did your three African-American patients believe that Lincoln owned slaves? Perhaps, the students confused Lincoln with Jefferson.

RE: The Study of Lincoln... - L Verge - 06-14-2019 12:44 PM

Good for you, Bill. More people need to open lines of communication between various diverse citizens that we intermingle with on a fairly regular basis. To me, there is no difference between posing that question to African Americans and asking it of a Caucasian or other ethnic group.

At Surratt House, we have monthly programs on a very wide variety of 19th-century topics (black history, women's history, war history, local and DC history, culture, etc.). We generally have a diverse audience of 50-100 with a lot of Q&A at the end and some topics that are controversial, but handled nicely. Last Saturday's program on Point Lookout Prison for Confederates did bring out one neo-Confederate lady of about 70, but the mixed audience was patient with her.

I have also had discussions with folks who were taught in school that Lincoln had African-American bloodlines. Try and handle that one -- but it has to be answered. You don't know how important it is to discuss contentious
issues and turn them into good history.

RE: The Study of Lincoln... - LincolnMan - 06-19-2019 06:30 AM

My office has several Lincoln things placed on various shelves. My patients know my passion for him. I asked the question simply because they are often curious about my attention to him. I also have good relationships with them. I don’t know why they thought Lincoln owned slaves—well actually I think I do. They do confuse him with Jefferson-so you are correct!

RE: Extra Credit Questions - RJNorton - 07-16-2019 02:52 PM

Who is this man?

[Image: longagoman.jpg]

RE: Extra Credit Questions - L Verge - 07-16-2019 03:24 PM

(07-16-2019 02:52 PM)RJNorton Wrote:  Who is this man?

[Image: longagoman.jpg]

Tied to Lincoln in some way?