Lincoln Discussion Symposium
Assassination Trivia - Printable Version

+- Lincoln Discussion Symposium (https://rogerjnorton.com/LincolnDiscussionSymposium)
+-- Forum: Lincoln Discussion Symposium (/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Trivia Questions - all things Lincoln (/forum-8.html)
+--- Thread: Assassination Trivia (/thread-350.html)

RE: Assassination Trivia - Jim Page - 07-02-2015 05:35 PM

(07-02-2015 02:14 PM)Thomas Kearney Wrote:  Take a look at this picture of the Garrett Farm Mock up in the Ford's Theater Center For Education And Leadership and tell me what is wrong in this picture:

I wanna play! That rifle looks to me like a Winchester lever action instead of a Spencer carbine.

--Jim

RE: Assassination Trivia - Thomas Kearney - 07-03-2015 09:52 AM

(07-02-2015 05:35 PM)Jim Page Wrote:  
(07-02-2015 02:14 PM)Thomas Kearney Wrote:  Take a look at this picture of the Garrett Farm Mock up in the Ford's Theater Center For Education And Leadership and tell me what is wrong in this picture:

I wanna play! That rifle looks to me like a Winchester lever action instead of a Spencer carbine.

--Jim

Very good! Those two things are whats wrong with this picture. You win a new mobile phone!
http://i.ytimg.com/vi/oe1zjzsTX6Y/maxresdefault.jpg

RE: Assassination Trivia - Jim Page - 07-03-2015 03:03 PM

(07-03-2015 09:52 AM)Thomas Kearney Wrote:  Very good! Those two things are whats wrong with this picture. You win a new mobile phone!
http://i.ytimg.com/vi/oe1zjzsTX6Y/maxresdefault.jpg

Thanks!

--Jim

RE: Assassination Trivia - Eva Elisabeth - 07-04-2015 05:20 PM

(07-02-2015 02:14 PM)Thomas Kearney Wrote:  It's time to play an assassination related edition of What's Wrong With This Picture? Take a look at this picture of the Garrett Farm Mock up in the Ford's Theater Center For Education And Leadership and tell me what is wrong in this picture:

http://bloximages.newyork1.vip.townnews.com/tulsaworld.com/content/tncms/assets/v3/editorial/9/22/9223fbe3-4133-511e-833a-543f70ab83ca/5365ecbc3a271.image.jpg
I took this photo at Ford's:
[attachment=1705]
I believe Abraham Lincon never said this (and if I am right I would be a bit disappointed that such a famous institution devoted to educating on "Lincoln history" forwards incorrect information on the matter!)

AFAIK and could find out this was not said BY Abraham Lincoln (and IMO it wouldn't match him either) but TO him on Monday, June 11, 1849.

The original is in "Herndon's Lincoln", p.244, here's the gist as published by Alexander K.McClure:
"Lincoln always took great pleasure in relating this yarn:
Riding at one time in a stage with an old Kentuckian who was returning from Missouri, Lincoln excited the old gentleman's surprise by refusing to accept either of tobacco or French brandy. When they separated that afternoon—the Kentuckian to take another stage bound for Louisville—he shook hands warmly with Lincoln, and said, good-humoredly: 'See here, stranger, you're a clever but strange companion. I may never see you again, and I don't want to offend you, but I want to say this: My experience has taught me that a man who has no vices has d——d few virtues. Good-day.'
http://www.gutenberg.org/files/2517/2517-h/2517-h.htm#link2H_4_0007

Does anyone know if A. Lincoln ever said the quote himself to someone? Using the wording as on display at Ford's?

RE: Assassination Trivia - RJNorton - 07-05-2015 05:39 AM

Hi Eva. I believe another source for this quote is Edward Dicey (1832-1911), an English journalist who spent six months in the U.S. during the Civil War. Dicey was a special correspondent for two British magazines.

The "vices/virtues" quote is contained in his article entitled "Washington in the Civil War" MacMillan's Magazine, 6 (May, 1862), pp. 16-29.

The exact Lincoln quote according to Dicey was "It is my experience that folks who have no vices have plaguy few virtues."

But, like what you said, Lincoln was actually reporting what was originally said to him, not by him. So, at this point, I think the quote at Ford's seems misleading.

RE: Assassination Trivia - Eva Elisabeth - 07-05-2015 06:14 AM

Thanks Roger. IMO, the quote is misleading unjustly and in a very negative way. Mr. Lincoln neither drank nor smoke nor can I think of other vices (can you?), and regarding this I think especially in our days where binge drinking and smoking at early age has become a massive problem with teenagers, an educational institution should not turn presidential role models into the opposite (as the quote diminishes the matter). My opinion.

RE: Assassination Trivia - RJNorton - 07-23-2015 05:15 AM

Where is this John Wilkes Booth gravestone located?

[Image: whereisjwbburied.jpg]

RE: Assassination Trivia - RJNorton - 07-23-2015 05:51 AM

Hint #1: It is in the United States but not in Maryland.

RE: Assassination Trivia - PaigeBooth - 07-23-2015 09:16 AM

I know Booth does not have a stone at Green Mount Cemetery, although many people do seem to confuse Asia's foot stone to be Booth's headstone, since from what I remember seeing it was the only foot stone that is completely unmarked and does not have Asia's initials engraved on it. I do recall a theory involving the belief that Booth escaped capture, claiming he lived out his life at the home of a family member in Mississippi.

RE: Assassination Trivia - RJNorton - 07-23-2015 09:21 AM

(07-23-2015 09:16 AM)PaigeBooth Wrote:  I do recall a theory involving the belief that Booth escaped capture, claiming he lived out his life at the home of a family member in Mississippi.

Brilliant, Paige! That is correct. The stone is in Smith Cemetery in Guntown, Mississippi.

There is some information here:

http://www.civilwaralbum.com/misc19/brice10.htm

Paige, you win very best wishes for a wonderful day!

RE: Assassination Trivia - L Verge - 07-23-2015 12:36 PM

(07-23-2015 09:21 AM)RJNorton Wrote:  
(07-23-2015 09:16 AM)PaigeBooth Wrote:  I do recall a theory involving the belief that Booth escaped capture, claiming he lived out his life at the home of a family member in Mississippi.

Brilliant, Paige! That is correct. The stone is in Smith Cemetery in Guntown, Mississippi.

There is some information here:

http://www.civilwaralbum.com/misc19/brice10.htm

Paige, you win very best wishes for a wonderful day!

Years ago, a gentleman from Guntown, Mississippi, told me about this local escape story. Very interesting, but hard to imagine that JWB could live out his life hidden away in a relation's upstairs room -- especially when the relation claimed to be Booth's cousin and bearing the same last name. Junius Booth did not have a brother who survived to adulthood, but I have not traced the Booth family past Richard Booth, JWB's grandfather (who chose his name).

RE: Assassination Trivia - PaigeBooth - 07-23-2015 01:29 PM

Laurie, I agree with you. Booth certainly did not seem like someone who could live a life of such seclusion. You reminded me of the time when Booth was trapped in St. Joseph due to the terrible winter of 1863 thru 1864. Although Booth was pressed for time to get to his next engagement, your comment has made me wonder if maybe Booth's hurry to leave was partially in search of more action. Do you know what St. Joseph was like during the time Booth was there? Have you ever heard any stories about Booth becoming "bored" in his adult life?

RE: Assassination Trivia - L Verge - 07-23-2015 02:02 PM

(07-23-2015 01:29 PM)PaigeBooth Wrote:  Laurie, I agree with you. Booth certainly did not seem like someone who could live a life of such seclusion. You reminded me of the time when Booth was trapped in St. Joseph due to the terrible winter of 1863 thru 1864. Although Booth was pressed for time to get to his next engagement, your comment has made me wonder if maybe Booth's hurry to leave was partially in search of more action. Do you know what St. Joseph was like during the time Booth was there? Have you ever heard any stories about Booth becoming "bored" in his adult life?

The only thing I know about St. Joseph is its Pony Express history, and it was practically defunct by 1860. Booth died at such an early-adult age and was so busy doing theatrical work and (maybe) Confederate work that I can't imagine he would allow himself to get bored.

Now, if you asked me about the early years when he was left pretty much alone to take care of the farm, his mother and sisters, I can see boredom setting in then.

Who was Bull Frizzell?

RE: Assassination Trivia - BettyO - 07-24-2015 06:57 AM

Quote:Who was Bull Frizzell?

Wasn't he to Thomas Nelson Conrad's group what Lew Powell was to Booth's?

He supplied all the brawn - a big, muscular dude?

RE: Assassination Trivia - Gene C - 07-24-2015 07:48 AM

Betty, is this the guy?

http://gloverparkhistory.com/civil-war/local-people-in-the-civil-war/john-bull-frizzell/