Lincoln Discussion Symposium
Assassination Trivia - Printable Version

+- Lincoln Discussion Symposium (https://rogerjnorton.com/LincolnDiscussionSymposium)
+-- Forum: Lincoln Discussion Symposium (/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Trivia Questions - all things Lincoln (/forum-8.html)
+--- Thread: Assassination Trivia (/thread-350.html)

RE: Assassination Trivia - Eva Elisabeth - 10-09-2014 03:28 PM

What is depicted here?
[attachment=1054]

RE: Assassination Trivia - L Verge - 10-09-2014 06:56 PM

It appears to be an engraving of the D.C. City Hall where the civil trial of John Surratt, Jr. was held in the summer of 1867? The building still stands and recently had a make-over. It dates back to the 1830s, I believe; and there is a standing figure of Mr. Lincoln outside the entrance that is said to be the first memorial to him, being dedicated on April 15, 1868.

RE: Assassination Trivia - Eva Elisabeth - 10-10-2014 03:16 AM

Thanks for another bit of info (first memorial) that was new to me! An outstanding guess, Laurie, but not correct.

Hint 1#: The role this building played in the assassination saga dated back prior to the trial of John Surratt.

RE: Assassination Trivia - RJNorton - 10-10-2014 05:38 AM

It doesn't look much like a hotel, but is it a large hotel somewhere in which John Wilkes Booth once stayed?

RE: Assassination Trivia - Eva Elisabeth - 10-10-2014 05:38 AM

Hint #2: Think "in vain".

Hi Roger, we were posting simultaneously. You are correct - the depicted building is (was) not a hotel.

RE: Assassination Trivia - Eva Elisabeth - 10-10-2014 09:38 AM

Hint #2: Not a hotel, but another "functional" building. According to Noah Brooks in 1862, about little more than twenty such buildings were to find in Washington, but this very one played a role in the assassination saga.

RE: Assassination Trivia - L Verge - 10-10-2014 09:48 AM

The U.S. Post Office building near the boardinghouse? Now the Monaco Hotel.

RE: Assassination Trivia - Eva Elisabeth - 10-10-2014 09:56 AM

Another good guess, Laurie, but it was no post office either.

Hint #3: Maybe Mr. Warhol will inspire you...
[attachment=1055]

RE: Assassination Trivia - RJNorton - 10-10-2014 09:56 AM

(10-10-2014 09:38 AM)Eva Elisabeth Wrote:  Hint #2: Not a hotel, but another "functional" building. According to Noah Brooks in 1862, about little more than twenty such buildings were to find in Washington, but this very one played a role in the assassination saga.

(10-10-2014 09:56 AM)Eva Elisabeth Wrote:  Another good guess, Laurie, but it was no post office either.

Hint #3:

Campbell Hospital?

RE: Assassination Trivia - Eva Elisabeth - 10-10-2014 10:12 AM

Kudos, Roger, that is correct!

A. Lincoln was supposed visit wounded soldiers at Campbell General Hospital for a performance of "Still Waters Run Deep" on March 17, 1865, but then had changed his schedule and greeted a group of Indiana soldiers instead and thus delayed JWB's plans.

Thinking of the thirty-two single Campbell soup canvasses Warhol presented on July 9, 1962, the prize I had in mind was tickets for the Dali Museum in St. Petersburg, which back in April also featured a Warhol exhibition, but I just saw it's already over:
http://thedali.org/exhibit/warhol-at-the-dali/

The museum is nevertheless worth a visit, especially Dali's "Gala Contemplating the Mediterranean Sea Which at Twenty Meters Becomes the Portrait of Abraham Lincoln"!
http://thedali.org/exhibit/gala-contemplating-mediterranean-sea/

RE: Assassination Trivia - Dave Taylor - 10-11-2014 01:32 PM

I'm working on a blog post and came across this interesting piece of trivial assassination trivia. Before posting about it, I figured I'd see if anyone had ever read about this before:

My trivia question is, which conspirator used the alias "Charles M. Prout" and why?

RE: Assassination Trivia - Dave Taylor - 10-11-2014 08:04 PM

Paige had guessed conspirator John Surratt (though her post to that effect has mysteriously disappeared). That was a good guess given the fact that Surratt had many aliases. Unfortunately it is not the correct answer.

Hint: I figure I could provide the reason for the alias since it is incredibly unlikely anyone will get that. The conspirator who used the alias Charles Prout, did so in order to fool a photographer and keep him from knowing his real name.

Guess away.

RE: Assassination Trivia - STS Lincolnite - 10-11-2014 09:23 PM

This is a tough one. Might as wells start at the top. How about John Wilkes Booth?

RE: Assassination Trivia - Dave Taylor - 10-11-2014 09:27 PM

(10-11-2014 09:23 PM)STS Lincolnite Wrote:  This is a tough one. Might as wells start at the top. How about John Wilkes Booth?

A reasonable enough place to start, Scott. But, no, John Wilkes Booth did not go by Charles Prout.

Hint: Charles Prout was a neighbor of this conspirator which is why he felt comfortable using his name.

RE: Assassination Trivia - Eva Elisabeth - 10-12-2014 05:16 AM

Then I guess Lewis Powell?