Lincoln Discussion Symposium
Assassination Trivia - Printable Version

+- Lincoln Discussion Symposium (https://rogerjnorton.com/LincolnDiscussionSymposium)
+-- Forum: Lincoln Discussion Symposium (/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Trivia Questions - all things Lincoln (/forum-8.html)
+--- Thread: Assassination Trivia (/thread-350.html)

RE: Assassination Trivia - RJNorton - 08-22-2013 12:45 PM

Who is this fellow?

[Image: whointheworldisthis100.jpg]

RE: Assassination Trivia - Rsmyth - 08-22-2013 12:50 PM

Isn't that the sexual deviant/jack the ripper that is buried up near Herb in Rochester, NY?

RE: Assassination Trivia - BettyO - 08-22-2013 12:51 PM

Dr. Verdi with his long moustaches -

RE: Assassination Trivia - Gene C - 08-22-2013 12:53 PM

It's hard to eat a good and hot cheezy pizza with a mustache like that.

RE: Assassination Trivia - BettyO - 08-22-2013 01:01 PM

Yuk.....and could you see him eating either clam chowder or oatmeal with that facial hair?! Gross.....!!

RE: Assassination Trivia - RJNorton - 08-22-2013 01:02 PM

Excellent try, Rich, but Betty got it. Kudos, Betty! That is Dr. Tullio Verdi.

Source of photo: Cleave’s Biographical Cyclopædia of Homœopathic Physicians and Surgeons

P.S. Rich, here is Francis Tumblety:

[Image: 220px-Tumblety.jpg]

RE: Assassination Trivia - BettyO - 08-22-2013 01:09 PM

Yet ANOTHER one whom I would not want to set across from if they were dining on oatmeal or soup!

Wonder what the medals on Tumblety's chest signify?

RE: Assassination Trivia - brtmchl - 08-22-2013 01:18 PM

That's a GREAT bug catcher, for taking siestas under the shade of a tree.

RE: Assassination Trivia - Gene C - 08-22-2013 02:15 PM

(08-22-2013 01:09 PM)BettyO Wrote:  Wonder what the medals on Tumblety's chest signify?

2nd runner up in the 1889 Handle Bar Mustache Competition, 1st runner up in the Jack the Ripper look a like contest, and Best Oatmeal and Clam Chowder Soup recipe.

RE: Assassination Trivia - Rsmyth - 08-23-2013 12:40 PM

That mustache always fools me!

RE: Assassination Trivia - RJNorton - 09-05-2013 04:59 PM

John Lloyd died in an 1892 accident at the corner of two Washington streets. What were the names of these two streets?

RE: Assassination Trivia - RJNorton - 09-06-2013 04:56 AM

Hint #1: Here is a 1946 photo of the corner where John Lloyd was crushed when the scaffold he was standing on collapsed in 1892.

[Image: cornerlloyd.jpg]

RE: Assassination Trivia - BettyO - 09-06-2013 06:49 AM

I have two of the orbituaries but can't find the info on the location of the wall collapse! Still looking....!

From the photo, I'd say it's on Capitol Hill behind the Library of Congress and the Supreme Court Building. Mike Kauffman and I used to park back there a lot when we were doing research years ago.

RE: Assassination Trivia - L Verge - 09-06-2013 09:52 AM

Read down for your answer:

John Lloyd was first a bricklayer by trade and is listed as such in D.C. city directories for 1855 and again in 1862. He also served on a Day Police Force beginning in 1851 with a salary of $480/year. An 1856 entry shows him as an officer in the 7th Ward, and the 1860 Federal Census shows him a member of the police force. He served on the force until 1862, when he left to return to farming in Charles County, Maryland, and ultimately to renting the Surratt tavern in 1864.

After the assassination, he floundered at the Surrattsville farm and returned to the city and his bricklaying trade in 1867. While supervising a construction project at 10th and B Streets, SW, he climbed the scaffolding to inspect some shoddy work. A load of bricks had just been placed on the scaffold, and as Lloyd stood on the boards, they gave way, pitching him to the ground. Bricks tumbled down on him - crushing his head, kidneys, and other parts of his body. He lingered for nearly two weeks before his death on December 18, 1892 - his 68th birthday.

The description of his death came years later from a great-niece, who had fond memories of him: "I was a small child but remember him well. He was a very kindly man, and we were devoted to him: he was a large man and a sort of Santa Claus to all of us. We called him Uncle Lloyd."

This is excerpted from an article that I did in 1988 for the Surratt Courier - with the assistance of research done by James O. Hall and a police lieutenant named Dennis Campbell. Much of their research came from a genealogical work entitled The Lloyds of Southern Maryland, published by Daniel B. Lloyd in 1917.

RE: Assassination Trivia - RJNorton - 09-06-2013 10:07 AM

Kudos, Laurie. It was your article from 25 years ago that I used as a source for this question. When I found that picture online it said that B Street is named Independence Ave. nowadays.