Lincoln Discussion Symposium
Assassination Trivia - Printable Version

+- Lincoln Discussion Symposium (https://rogerjnorton.com/LincolnDiscussionSymposium)
+-- Forum: Lincoln Discussion Symposium (/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Trivia Questions - all things Lincoln (/forum-8.html)
+--- Thread: Assassination Trivia (/thread-350.html)

RE: Assassination Trivia - Eva Elisabeth - 07-22-2013 09:43 AM

Excellent, Mr Houmes. Prince Napoleon visited the White House on Aug.3, 1861. Here's some more info:

http://www.mrlincolnswhitehouse.org/inside.asp?ID=669&subjectID=2

RE: Assassination Trivia - brtmchl - 08-09-2013 01:36 PM

We all know the line from " Our American Cousin", when Harry Hawk as Asa Trenchard, utters a line, considered one of the play's funniest, to Mrs. Mountchessington: "Don't know the manners of good society, eh? Well, I guess I know enough to turn you inside out, old gal — you sockdologizing old man-trap."

But what is the definition of sockdologizing as meant by Asa in this famous line?

RE: Assassination Trivia - Eva Elisabeth - 08-09-2013 05:52 PM

I admit, I looked it up. But I looked it up when I first came across this word and didn't understand the meaning. So, since I've already done this "homework" long before, I find it legitimate to make use of it now. As far as I found out, it's a slang word that was in common in the 1850ies and means something like a final blow or a decisive remark or argument.

RE: Assassination Trivia - LincolnMan - 08-09-2013 05:57 PM

Doesn't it mean something like "conniving?"

RE: Assassination Trivia - brtmchl - 08-09-2013 06:16 PM

You are correct Eva about one definition, as Laurie pointed out to me there is an old definition or boxing term meaning " to strike a final blow."

But there is yet another definition for this word that I believe is more in line with the quote from the play.

RE: Assassination Trivia - asobbingfilm - 08-09-2013 06:35 PM

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/sockdologizing

RE: Assassination Trivia - LincolnMan - 08-09-2013 06:36 PM

Manipulative! That's what I thought when I said "conniving."

RE: Assassination Trivia - L Verge - 08-09-2013 06:43 PM

brtmichl still has one more definition that relates to a real object of that time period. This is one of the hardest trivia questions ever posted here, IMO.

RE: Assassination Trivia - LincolnMan - 08-09-2013 06:45 PM

Wow. Something to do with a sock? Just guessing and being a bit silly.

RE: Assassination Trivia - brtmchl - 08-09-2013 06:50 PM

I'm sorry, This is my first trivia question I have put out. It is a lot more difficult than I expected. Please bear with me I should clarify.

LincolnMan and asobobbingfilm are both correct that the term means manipulative. But there was a device created in the 1840's that I believe Asa was refering to while also calling her manipulative. It goes along with him calling her a man trap. It was called a Sockdolger. It was also known by a different name. What was this device. And what other name did it go by?

Sorry, Damn Rookies. I'll work on my trivia asking skills

RE: Assassination Trivia - L Verge - 08-09-2013 07:03 PM

Damn Rookies?! I love it. I can use it on Joseph. Rick, Bill, and I have made that Damn Yankee an Honorary Rebel, but in my unending quest to irritate him, I think I will create a six-month evaluation period in which he will be called a Rookie Rebel. I will have to drop the "damn" because there is no such thing as a damn Rebel where Rick, Bill, and I are from. And, don't anyone else dispute that, y'all heah? Thank you for the idea.

RE: Assassination Trivia - Eva Elisabeth - 08-09-2013 08:53 PM

If this is correct, Google shall receive the prize: The device is a springloaded fishhook patented in 1847 and also known as Yankee Doodle.

RE: Assassination Trivia - J. Beckert - 08-09-2013 09:42 PM

I just signed on and this is chapping my Damn Yankee/Probationary Honorary Rebel hide already. I've heard this some where....dang it. Think....think....think....

I cheated and found this using Frau Eva's answer. It looks like she nailed it and I think we can call this a German victory! Schön, Eva! I had nothing to do with this question and I got the usual beating without even showing up and asking for it. Something is not right here, Mr. Norton.........

http://cher-homespun.blogspot.com/2012/07/you-sockdologizing-old-man-trap.html

RE: Assassination Trivia - brtmchl - 08-09-2013 11:26 PM

(08-09-2013 07:03 PM)L Verge Wrote:  Damn Rookies?! I love it. I can use it on Joseph. Rick, Bill, and I have made that Damn Yankee an Honorary Rebel, but in my unending quest to irritate him, I think I will create a six-month evaluation period in which he will be called a Rookie Rebel. I will have to drop the "damn" because there is no such thing as a damn Rebel where Rick, Bill, and I are from. And, don't anyone else dispute that, y'all heah? Thank you for the idea.

No problem, turns out making fun of oneself gives other people good ideas.

(08-09-2013 11:26 PM)brtmchl Wrote:  
(08-09-2013 08:53 PM)Eva Elisabeth Wrote:  If this is correct, Google shall receive the prize: The device is a springloaded fishhook patented in 1847 and also known as Yankee Doodle.

You are correct Eva. Nice job. It was much harder for me to find. I really thought this would have lasted longer.

RE: Assassination Trivia - Eva Elisabeth - 08-10-2013 12:20 AM

Thanks, but as Joe and I said, I cheated. Normally I refuse to Google trivia questions, that's no fun. But I was so curious this time, (especially since my previous answer was not at all right,) I just wanted to know it. Joe, seems you got up on the wrong side of the bed today....maybe this helps a little:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=R-OoIvgtuzs&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DR-OoIvgtuzs