Lincoln Discussion Symposium
Assassination Trivia - Printable Version

+- Lincoln Discussion Symposium (https://rogerjnorton.com/LincolnDiscussionSymposium)
+-- Forum: Lincoln Discussion Symposium (/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Trivia Questions - all things Lincoln (/forum-8.html)
+--- Thread: Assassination Trivia (/thread-350.html)

RE: Assassination Trivia - RJNorton - 12-09-2012 07:05 PM

Nope, the actress who was supposed to play Mary Surratt is 12 years older than Mary Elizabeth Mastrantonio.

Hint #2: At this time (2003-2004) Robin Williams was set to play Reverdy Johnson. A search was going on for an actor to play Frederick Aiken.

RE: Assassination Trivia - J. Beckert - 12-09-2012 07:16 PM

Susan Sarandon?

RE: Assassination Trivia - RJNorton - 12-09-2012 07:29 PM

You win, Joe. Kudos!

The prize vault is so depleted that I will just send cash.

I was thumbing through some old Surratt Couriers today, and the information about this early talk of The Conspirator was in the March 2004 edition.

RE: Assassination Trivia - RJNorton - 12-19-2012 06:41 AM

I was asked this question, and I do not know the answer, so I thought I would post it as a trivia question and see if anyone might know. In the one picture of Lincoln lying in state in New York...

http://www.awesomestories.com/images/user/0b9aa5129e.jpg

there are two busts on pedestals in the background. Whom do these busts represent?

RE: Assassination Trivia - Joe Di Cola - 12-19-2012 11:52 AM

(12-19-2012 06:41 AM)RJNorton Wrote:  I was asked this question, and I do not know the answer, so I thought I would post it as a trivia question and see if anyone might know. In the one picture of Lincoln lying in state in New York...

http://www.awesomestories.com/images/user/0b9aa5129e.jpg

there are two busts on pedestals in the background. Whom do these busts represent?

Daniel Wrebster and Andrew Jackson--somewhat ironic since Lincoln had a very low opinion of Jackson.

RE: Assassination Trivia - RJNorton - 12-19-2012 03:06 PM

Thank you, Joe.

RE: Assassination Trivia - LincolnMan - 12-20-2012 12:00 PM

I wonder why of choice of either of them?

RE: Assassination Trivia - RJNorton - 12-20-2012 01:29 PM

Hi Bill. I do not know if this will answer you, but I wrote Ron Rietveld to see what he knows about the busts. His response was as follows:

"To answer your inquiry regarding the statues in the last photograph from the flesh in the multiple-lens photograph by Jeremiah Gurney, Jr. at New York City Hall [the Governor's Room], April 24, 1865--the two busts are of Daniel Webster on the left, and of Andrew Jackson on the right. The Chicago Historical Society possess a stereograph of the mourning draperies in the Governor's Room of New York City Hall, where Lincoln's body lay in state. The president's coffin has not yet arrived at the scene. But the bust of Daniel Webster can be seen very clearly in it, much better than the bust of Andrew Jackson, however."

RE: Assassination Trivia - LincolnMan - 12-20-2012 03:04 PM

Roger: interesting information. It didn't answer my question though. I was wondering why those specific busts were selected. Were they just handy? Or did someone actually select them with some idea of a connection to Lincoln that was justification to place them at his bier?

Lincoln's Suit Coat - Rsmyth - 12-20-2012 05:52 PM

After Lincoln was shot at Fords Theater and prior to the aquistion of Lincoln's suit coat, one person that we know of put the suit coat on. Name that person.

RE: Assassination Trivia - J. Beckert - 12-20-2012 06:01 PM

I think it was Tom Pendel who put it on for an artist that was to paint Lincoln's portrait. He supposedly resembled Lincoln physically.

RE: Assassination Trivia - Rsmyth - 12-20-2012 06:02 PM

I should have said prior to the aquistion of the coat by Fords Theater.

If that is true Joe than I was not aware of it. I had someone else in mind.

RE: Assassination Trivia - Rsmyth - 12-20-2012 08:59 PM

Well, you were correct Joe. I was looking at Kunhardts and they said exactly what you stated. So, my revised question is "who was the second person to try on the suit cost?

RE: Assassination Trivia - RJNorton - 12-21-2012 07:08 AM

Mary Lincoln gave the coat to Alphonso Donn so I'll guess him. I think part of the reason the coat is not in the greatest shape today is because Donn cut off some fragments and gave them to friends.

RE: Assassination Trivia - Rsmyth - 12-21-2012 08:58 AM

Good guess Roger but if he did he never mentioned it.someone after Donn had died put it on.