Lincoln Discussion Symposium
Assassination Trivia - Printable Version

+- Lincoln Discussion Symposium (https://rogerjnorton.com/LincolnDiscussionSymposium)
+-- Forum: Lincoln Discussion Symposium (/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Trivia Questions - all things Lincoln (/forum-8.html)
+--- Thread: Assassination Trivia (/thread-350.html)

RE: Assassination Trivia - RJNorton - 08-19-2019 01:10 PM

Brilliant, Dave! Kudos.

My source for the photo plus an article on Bingham:

https://www.harrisonnewsherald.com/?p=18626

RE: Assassination Trivia - RJNorton - 12-19-2019 04:06 PM

Who is this man?

[Image: manwithtie1.jpg]

RE: Assassination Trivia - Dennis Urban - 12-19-2019 07:15 PM

Looks like Hubert Humphrey. Could that be the sofa from the Lincoln box at Ford's Theatre; perhaps connected with the 1960s restoration??.

RE: Assassination Trivia - J. Beckert - 12-19-2019 08:27 PM

Dr. Richard Mudd with the sofa Dr. Sam Mudd set Booth's leg on.

RE: Assassination Trivia - Eva Elisabeth - 12-19-2019 08:41 PM

I think Joe is right (kudos, Joe!), in any case as for the sofa. I have been brooding where I saw it, now I know...I took this photo of Dr. Mudd's parlor:
[attachment=3164]

RE: Assassination Trivia - Anita - 12-19-2019 10:31 PM

Good memory and nice photo Eva!

RE: Assassination Trivia - RJNorton - 12-20-2019 05:48 AM

Good try, Dennis, but kudos to Joe and Eva. That is Richard Mudd with the couch where Dr. Samuel Mudd examined JWB's leg. Richard Mudd had the couch renovated in a Saginaw, Michigan, upholstery shop in 1953, and the picture is from the May 10, 1953, edition of the Saginaw News.

RE: Assassination Trivia - L Verge - 12-20-2019 01:06 PM

(12-20-2019 05:48 AM)RJNorton Wrote:  Good try, Dennis, but kudos to Joe and Eva. That is Richard Mudd with the couch where Dr. Samuel Mudd examined JWB's leg. Richard Mudd had the couch renovated in a Saginaw, Michigan, upholstery shop in 1953, and the picture is from the May 10, 1953, edition of the Saginaw News.

And, about thirty years later, the process of getting the Mudds' couch back to the Mudd home/museum became quite a project. Dr. Richard was giving the couch back to the home, but he wanted the folks there to pay the moving costs -- which their leader at that time did not want to do.

I believe it was Richard Sloan of this forum who finally began a fundraiser among us die-hard Lincoln assassination folks to pay for that piece of history to return to Maryland. If I remember correctly, Dr. Richard's daughter took a photo of the sofa in the Mudds' parlor and had her film confiscated by said leader. You have to love family feuds...

RE: Assassination Trivia - RJNorton - 12-23-2019 10:52 AM

After John W. Booth assassinated Abraham Lincoln, what unfortunate thing happened to this man?

[Image: unfortunate.jpg]

RE: Assassination Trivia - J. Beckert - 12-23-2019 11:33 AM

Was he one of the many who were arrested for looking like Booth?

RE: Assassination Trivia - RJNorton - 12-23-2019 01:55 PM

Good eyes, Joe! He is Andrew Rogers who was one of a number of folks who were arrested or detained because they resembled Booth. Rogers was a New Jersey member of the House of Representatives. He was arrested on a train near Wilmington, Delaware, and released when he proved he was a Congressman.

RE: Assassination Trivia - Eva Elisabeth - 02-08-2020 02:39 PM

Back in Xmas break, forum member Bill B. challenged me with this task, and I'm afraid not even the Google helped to me to succeed - so, what about you? Here it goes:
In the aftermath of Lincoln's assassination, "hundreds" of suspects were arrested and imprisoned for weeks or months.  One such suspect - with a very unusual (and bizarre) name - was detained for three months.  Who was he? 

RE: Assassination Trivia - Steve - 02-08-2020 03:55 PM

It's Joao M. Celestino, the Portuguese ship captain and blockade runner who was held with the Lincoln assassination conspirators.

If memory serves me right, I think he threatened to kill the President in a bar or something right before the assassination?

RE: Assassination Trivia - RJNorton - 02-08-2020 04:02 PM

I do not know, but I shall guess James Chapman. Chapman looked so much like Booth that he was arrested three times in one day! (not a bizarre name so I know it must be wrong)

I shall also guess an associate of Booth whose name was William E. Sinn, manager of the Chestnut Street Theatre in Philadelphia. (better name anyway)

RE: Assassination Trivia - Eva Elisabeth - 02-08-2020 05:53 PM

I have to admit that your guesses could be correct as it might be possible that more than just the "wanted" gentleman might have been imprisoned for exactly that time. I'm afraid however neither is the one I am looking for and whose name is way more bizarre!