Lincoln Discussion Symposium
Assassination Trivia - Printable Version

+- Lincoln Discussion Symposium (https://rogerjnorton.com/LincolnDiscussionSymposium)
+-- Forum: Lincoln Discussion Symposium (/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Trivia Questions - all things Lincoln (/forum-8.html)
+--- Thread: Assassination Trivia (/thread-350.html)

RE: Assassination Trivia - L Verge - 12-02-2012 01:55 PM

I do remember you posting that now. Thanks, Joe. The gentleman doing the presentation is Paul Tetrault, the head of the Ford's Theatre Society.

My entire life, I always heard just what Paul said about the frame being nicked by Booth's spur. It wasn't until about ten years ago that I heard an author claim (but I don't believe it's in his book) that a souvenir seeker may have cut the frame.

RE: Assassination Trivia - J. Beckert - 12-02-2012 01:58 PM

I don't remember who it was, but a witness stated Booth knocked the picture askew or upside down as he jumped out.

RE: Assassination Trivia - Jim Garrett - 12-02-2012 02:13 PM

(12-02-2012 10:42 AM)LincolnMan Wrote:  Jim: Who sat in the "rushed bottom chair?' Are you talking about the chair Mary was sitting on?

There were two rushed chairs in the box. There is no proof that this was the one that MTL sat in. So there's a 50% chance it is the MLT chair.

I have heard that Booth's spur nicked the frame. I have tried to look at the Gardner pictures, but none are clear enough to see if the nick existed in April 1865. Even if it is in the Gardnermpicture, there is the high probability that the nick was in the frame prior to the assassiantion.. In any event, Booth's spur (whichever one it may be) was very busy catching in at least two flags, nicking a picture frame, falling off the boot and landing on the stage.

I have heard that Booth's spur nicked the frame. I have tried to look at the Gardner pictures, but none are clear enough to see if the nick existed in April 1865. Even if it is in the Gardnermpicture, there is the high probability that the nick was in the frame prior to the assassiantion.. In any event, Booth's spur (whichever one it may be) was very busy catching in at least two flags, nicking a picture frame, falling off the boot and landing on the stage.

RE: Assassination Trivia - Dave Taylor - 12-02-2012 05:29 PM

(12-02-2012 10:23 AM)Jim Garrett Wrote:  The original sofa is in the box. It is the sofa that Rathbone was sitting on. I am told that it has not been re-upholstered. It is suppose to be very fragile and if one sat on it, you would most likely tear the fabric.

Jim,

According to the Ford's accession slips, the sofa was repaired and re-upholstered in July of 1959.

RE: Assassination Trivia - LincolnMan - 12-02-2012 05:43 PM

I wonder if the sofa had Rathbone's blood on it. It seems from accounts that he was bleeding profusely. Also, were his knife wounds sutured, does anybody know? If so, how many stitches were sown? It must have left quite a physical scar, but not near the scar that was inflicted emotionally, I suppose.

RE: Assassination Trivia - Jim Garrett - 12-02-2012 05:44 PM

Good job Dave! The blue book?

RE: Assassination Trivia - LincolnMan - 12-02-2012 05:52 PM

Rob: if you're on the computer-you need to make a post asap. Your current total posts are 666! December 21, 2012 isn't far off you know!

RE: Assassination Trivia - BettyO - 12-02-2012 06:21 PM

Joe

Here is the "blow up" detail of the frame

[Image: framedetail.jpg]

RE: Assassination Trivia - L Verge - 12-02-2012 07:40 PM

It's interesting that you should ask about Rathbone, Bill. Maybe someone on this forum knows the answer about the severity of the wound to his arm, but I don't believe that I have ever read any detailed information on what happened to Rathbone that night. I believe that he passed out at the Petersen House and was sent home, but I don't know anything else.

In fact, Rathbone and Clara sort of fade out of most pictures until we learn of his diplomatic posting to Germany and the horror of what happened over there. It's been about ten years since I read Henry and Clara, and I know that Tom Mallon had to fictionalize parts of it. Loved that book, though, and it's the closest to a biography of the two that I know of.

RE: Assassination Trivia - Dave Taylor - 12-02-2012 08:58 PM

Trivia question: How long is the coil of rope that was found in Edman Spangler's room and is now on display at the Ford's Theatre museum?

RE: Assassination Trivia - Jim Garrett - 12-02-2012 09:09 PM

(12-02-2012 08:58 PM)Dave Taylor Wrote:  Trivia question: How long is the coil of rope that was found in Edman Spangler's room and is now on display at the Ford's Theatre museum?

The exact length is...........very long!!!!

(12-02-2012 07:40 PM)L Verge Wrote:  It's interesting that you should ask about Rathbone, Bill. Maybe someone on this forum knows the answer about the severity of the wound to his arm, but I don't believe that I have ever read any detailed information on what happened to Rathbone that night. I believe that he passed out at the Petersen House and was sent home, but I don't know anything else.

In fact, Rathbone and Clara sort of fade out of most pictures until we learn of his diplomatic posting to Germany and the horror of what happened over there. It's been about ten years since I read Henry and Clara, and I know that Tom Mallon had to fictionalize parts of it. Loved that book, though, and it's the closest to a biography of the two that I know of.

I believe Henry's wound was roughly from shoulder to elbow. Some accounts say an artery was nicked. He did pretty profusely. Clara staunched the blood with her hankerchef in the hallway of the Petersen House. He was sent home. I wonder if his next-door-neighbor Dan Sickles came over to visit.

RE: Assassination Trivia - RJNorton - 12-03-2012 06:20 AM

(12-02-2012 07:40 PM)L Verge Wrote:  It's interesting that you should ask about Rathbone, Bill. Maybe someone on this forum knows the answer about the severity of the wound to his arm, but I don't believe that I have ever read any detailed information on what happened to Rathbone that night.

Laurie, I don't have Mallon's book out right now (it's in the mess in the closet), but I think Mallon writes that the wound was really quite serious. I stand corrected on this, but I think Rathbone was bedridden for at least a week or longer and was in a great deal of pain.

RE: Assassination Trivia - LincolnMan - 12-03-2012 08:50 AM

Since Rathbone was still in Union service when the assassination occurred, I wonder if his military record notes the incident and the wound. Since Booth claimed he was a Confederate "doing his duty"-it seems that the incident would fall under a battle wound. Just wondering out loud here. Anyone ever see his military record?

RE: Assassination Trivia - Rob Wick - 12-03-2012 10:51 AM

(12-02-2012 05:52 PM)LincolnMan Wrote:  Rob: if you're on the computer-you need to make a post asap. Your current total posts are 666! December 21, 2012 isn't far off you know!

There. No one need worry about me and the antichrist. Big Grin

Thanks, Bill.

Best
Rob

RE: Assassination Trivia - RJNorton - 12-03-2012 10:54 AM

(12-02-2012 08:58 PM)Dave Taylor Wrote:  Trivia question: How long is the coil of rope that was found in Edman Spangler's room and is now on display at the Ford's Theatre museum?

80 feet?