Lincoln Discussion Symposium
Assassination Trivia - Printable Version

+- Lincoln Discussion Symposium (https://rogerjnorton.com/LincolnDiscussionSymposium)
+-- Forum: Lincoln Discussion Symposium (/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Trivia Questions - all things Lincoln (/forum-8.html)
+--- Thread: Assassination Trivia (/thread-350.html)

RE: Assassination Trivia - RJNorton - 05-29-2017 10:34 AM

Gene, as often is the case - I forget which author wrote it - but I once read an opinion that Weichmann's deathbed statement was bogus. I cannot remember why the author believed this to be the case.

RE: Assassination Trivia - RJNorton - 07-19-2017 04:50 PM

Who is this man?

[Image: whocouldthismanpossiblybe.jpg]

RE: Assassination Trivia - Eva Elisabeth - 07-19-2017 06:38 PM

William Withers?

RE: Assassination Trivia - RJNorton - 07-19-2017 06:47 PM

Excellent, Eva! I really thought I'd need to give some hints on this one. I had not seen that photo previously - I ran across it in this April 1904 issue of the Hampton Magazine (Broadway Publishing Company). The picture caption says Withers is holding a Stradivarius violin (hard to see).

https://books.google.com/books?id=0kUpAQAAIAAJ&pg=PA117&source=gbs_toc_r&cad=3#v=onepage&q&f=false

RE: Assassination Trivia - L Verge - 07-27-2017 02:13 PM

I am calling this a trivia question, but I don't know the answer to it: An online source relative to Kate Chase Sprague says that she was one of only seven women to attend Lincoln's funeral in the East Room of the White House - and she did this in her seventh month of pregnancy (coming out of her confinement period to be there).

Is there any record of who the other six women were? Any Todd family members? Any Cabinet wives or generals' wives?

RE: Assassination Trivia - RJNorton - 07-27-2017 02:31 PM

Laurie, the New York Times reported the following:

"...six lady mourners, the only ladies present, save one or two of the nurses of the household, Mrs. Sprague, Miss Nettle Chase, Mrs. Stanton, Mrs. Usher, Mrs. Welles and Mrs. Dennison."

http://www.nytimes.com/1865/04/20/news/obsequies-funeral-abraham-lincoln-solemn-imposing-ceremoniesa-day-deep.html?pagewanted=all

RE: Assassination Trivia - L Verge - 07-27-2017 04:24 PM

(07-27-2017 02:31 PM)RJNorton Wrote:  Laurie, the New York Times reported the following:

"...six lady mourners, the only ladies present, save one or two of the nurses of the household, Mrs. Sprague, Miss Nettle Chase, Mrs. Stanton, Mrs. Usher, Mrs. Welles and Mrs. Dennison."

http://www.nytimes.com/1865/04/20/news/obsequies-funeral-abraham-lincoln-solemn-imposing-ceremoniesa-day-deep.html?pagewanted=all

Thank you, Roger. I noticed that the transcript of the article misspells Kate' s sister's name. It should read "Nettie."

Just an aside on those two girls - Mr. Chase had lost four other daughters before adulthood. He also outlived three wives. We all know that Kate married Senator William Sprague of Rhode Island in one of the most glamorous weddings in the 19th century. Nettie actually married a cousin of Sprague - her marriage lasted, Kate's didn't. And, Nettie and her husband ended up suing cousin William at one point in a family financial problem.

I'm trying to put together an article on Kate's wedding and her life afterwards for an upcoming issue of the Surratt Courier. Very interesting subject... (I ask that no one upstage me on this forum until after the article is published.)

RE: Assassination Trivia - RJNorton - 07-31-2017 08:12 AM

Who is this man?

[Image: manismale.jpg]

RE: Assassination Trivia - RJNorton - 07-31-2017 12:22 PM

Hint #1: This man was not part of the conspiracy.

Hint #1.5: A photo of this man (when he was older) is in a book written by one of our forum members.

RE: Assassination Trivia - Steve - 07-31-2017 05:10 PM

Maybe it's an older photo of Clement Clay without the beard?

RE: Assassination Trivia - RJNorton - 07-31-2017 05:27 PM

Good try, Steve, but it's not Clay.

Hint #2: This man is mentioned in many assassination books but not until after the assassination.

RE: Assassination Trivia - Gene C - 07-31-2017 09:06 PM

Is he a lawyer or judge?

RE: Assassination Trivia - RJNorton - 08-01-2017 05:00 AM

Gene, he was neither a lawyer or judge.

RE: Assassination Trivia - RJNorton - 08-01-2017 06:12 PM

Hint #3: This man's name is connected to one of the conspirators in particular.

RE: Assassination Trivia - Steve - 08-01-2017 06:18 PM

Dr. George Mudd?