Lincoln Discussion Symposium
Assassination Trivia - Printable Version

+- Lincoln Discussion Symposium (https://rogerjnorton.com/LincolnDiscussionSymposium)
+-- Forum: Lincoln Discussion Symposium (/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Trivia Questions - all things Lincoln (/forum-8.html)
+--- Thread: Assassination Trivia (/thread-350.html)

RE: Assassination Trivia - Eva Elisabeth - 07-03-2016 07:15 AM

Yes, Iceland would be "cool" - although it would mean they "kick" the host (France) out of the tournament.

RE: Assassination Trivia - RJNorton - 07-20-2016 05:32 AM

One Lincoln assassination author claimed that the White House stable fire of February 10, 1864, was actually an assassination attempt on Abraham Lincoln. The thinking was that the White House staff would race out to fight the flames and Lincoln, left deserted in the White House, could then be assassinated. The plan failed when Lincoln himself departed the White House to join the fight against the flames.

What author made this claim? (as far as I know there is only one)

RE: Assassination Trivia - ReignetteC - 07-20-2016 09:11 AM

(07-20-2016 05:32 AM)RJNorton Wrote:  One Lincoln assassination author claimed that the White House stable fire of February 10, 1864, was actually an assassination attempt on Abraham Lincoln. The thinking was that the White House staff would race out to fight the flames and Lincoln, left deserted in the White House, could then be assassinated. The plan failed when Lincoln himself departed the White House to join the fight against the flames.

What author made this claim? (as far as I know there is only one)

I know this one: John Fazio's Decapitating the Union. (It was on my summer reading list.)

RE: Assassination Trivia - RJNorton - 07-20-2016 10:17 AM

Brilliant, Reignette!! You are correct. I had forgotten that John had mentioned this in his book. So there are two authors whose books have this.

Thus, I will ask a second question - without looking, what book did John Fazio use as his source for this statement about the stable fire?

Reignette, you win best wishes for a wonderful day!

RE: Assassination Trivia - wpbinzel - 07-20-2016 11:11 AM

(07-20-2016 10:17 AM)RJNorton Wrote:  Brilliant, Reignette!! You are correct. I had forgotten that John had mentioned this in his book. So there are two authors whose books have this.

Thus, I will ask a second question - without looking, what book did John Fazio use as his source for this statement about the stable fire?

In the words of Lewis Powell, "I will take a stab," (too soon??) and say Theodore Roscoe in The Web of Conspiracy.

RE: Assassination Trivia - ReignetteC - 07-20-2016 11:54 AM

(07-20-2016 10:17 AM)RJNorton Wrote:  Brilliant, Reignette!! You are correct. I had forgotten that John had mentioned this in his book. So there are two authors whose books have this.

Thanks, Roger. It's a beautiful day here in New Jersey and I plan to enjoy every minute of it.

RE: Assassination Trivia - RJNorton - 07-20-2016 01:57 PM

That is wonderful, Reignette, and Bill, that is a great guess.

I really cannot think of any hints for this as I do not think the book is very well known. So I'll just give the answer: it's Charles Higham's Murdering Mr. Lincoln. Not only does Higham write that the stable fire was intended as an assassination attempt on Lincoln, but also that Patterson McGee, the prime suspect in the fire, departed the United States on the exact same ship as John Surratt (the Peruvian). Just a coincidence? Who knows.

RE: Assassination Trivia - Eva Elisabeth - 07-21-2016 08:33 AM

Does a picture of the ship exist?

RE: Assassination Trivia - RJNorton - 07-21-2016 08:51 AM

(07-21-2016 08:33 AM)Eva Elisabeth Wrote:  Does a picture of the ship exist?

Yes - there is a photo of the Peruvian here.

RE: Assassination Trivia - Eva Elisabeth - 07-21-2016 05:45 PM

Thanks, Roger - I found several "Peruvian"s, but not this one!

Another ship I've "researched" in vain as for a sketch or other depiction of it is the "John and Dorothy" of Ipswich, which brought Samuel Lincoln to the New World.

RE: Assassination Trivia - RJNorton - 07-25-2016 06:00 AM

Robert Lincoln was at the White House when his father was shot. How did he find out about the shooting? In his later years he could not recall who was first to tell him what had happened. But there was a person who traveled from the Petersen House to the White House to tell Robert. Who was this man?

RE: Assassination Trivia - J. Beckert - 07-25-2016 06:07 AM

Alphonso Donn via Charles Sumner?

RE: Assassination Trivia - RJNorton - 07-25-2016 06:45 AM

Excellent guesses, Joe, but this man is sometimes not mentioned in books. He was at the Petersen House and apparently Mary Lincoln asked him to race to the White House to tell Robert about what happened.

RE: Assassination Trivia - Eva Elisabeth - 07-25-2016 08:29 AM

Isaak Newton (not the one born in Lincolnshire...) and Thomas Pendel, according to the latter's book.

RE: Assassination Trivia - RJNorton - 07-25-2016 08:57 AM

Excellent try, Eva, but my reply is the same as what I said to Joe: this man was at the Petersen House and, at Mary Lincoln's specific request, he went to the White House to inform Robert.

Hint #1: The correct answer is in Kathy Canavan's book.