Lincoln Discussion Symposium
Lincoln's Boyhood Nickname - Printable Version

+- Lincoln Discussion Symposium (https://rogerjnorton.com/LincolnDiscussionSymposium)
+-- Forum: Lincoln Discussion Symposium (/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Abraham Lincoln before his Presidency (/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: Lincoln's Boyhood Nickname (/thread-3320.html)

Lincoln's Boyhood Nickname - Gene C - 03-16-2017 04:13 PM

Like a lot of kids growing up, Abraham Lincoln had a nickname.
What was it, who gave it to him, and why?

RE: Lincoln's Boyhood Nickname - RJNorton - 03-16-2017 05:56 PM

Due to his size, strength, and wrestling prowess, he was nicknamed the "young Hercules of Pigeon Creek." I do not know who gave him this nickname.

RE: Lincoln's Boyhood Nickname - Gene C - 03-16-2017 07:48 PM

Sorry Roger, that is not the answer the prize committee was looking for.
However, due to the overwhelming response and interest in this frequently overlooked import detail in Abraham Lincoln's life, they have authorized me to offer a hint.

This nickname did not come from an immediate family member.

RE: Lincoln's Boyhood Nickname - L Verge - 03-16-2017 08:25 PM

Let's try Beanpole because I saw it as a crossword clue. It definitely fits Lincoln at almost any age, but I have no idea who gave it to him - even if it is the answer you are looking for.

RE: Lincoln's Boyhood Nickname - RJNorton - 03-17-2017 04:56 AM

(03-16-2017 08:25 PM)L Verge Wrote:  Let's try Beanpole because I saw it as a crossword clue. It definitely fits Lincoln at almost any age, but I have no idea who gave it to him - even if it is the answer you are looking for.

According to Dr. John Sotos in The Physical Lincoln....a Miss Camron in New Salem said Lincoln was "thin as a beanpole and ugly as a scarecrow."

http://www.physical-lincoln.com/appearance.html

RE: Lincoln's Boyhood Nickname - Gene C - 03-17-2017 07:48 AM

A good guess, but this nickname was given him well before he left for New Salem.

I guess it's time for a new hint.
This nickname was given well before Lincoln left for New Salem.

RE: Lincoln's Boyhood Nickname - Donna McCreary - 03-17-2017 02:32 PM

"Honest Abe."
As a teen living in Indiana, he had borrowed a book about George Washington from a neighbor and while it was in his possession, the book was damaged. Not having any money to pay for the damage, Abraham honestly told his neighbor what happened and offered to work off the value of the book. For three days he worked in the man's fields as payment for the damaged book. Such a strong sense of integrity later became a hallmark of his presidency.

Sorry, I can not remember the neighbor's name.

RE: Lincoln's Boyhood Nickname - Gene C - 03-17-2017 02:46 PM

Very good Donna, however, again this is not the answer the prize committee is looking for.

According to my source, the answer we are looking for is from a definite individual, who gave 2 specific reasons for giving a young Abraham this nickname.

RE: Lincoln's Boyhood Nickname - RJNorton - 03-17-2017 02:54 PM

Lincoln was nicknamed "High" by a gentleman named Pottinger. Abraham did not like it.

RE: Lincoln's Boyhood Nickname - Gene C - 03-17-2017 03:19 PM

Congratulations Roger. That is correct.

This story of Lincoln's nickname is somewhat questionable.
It's from an interesting book, however most of the stories in this book about young Abraham Lincoln are questionable.
The book is "The Boyhood of Abraham Lincoln" by J. Rogers Gore from the spoken narrative of Ausitn Gollaher

Abraham earned his nickname when he was a young boy in Kentucky.
The person who gave him this nickname was Old Man Pottinger.
the nickname was "High"
"Mr. Pottinger explained that the
name was appropriate for two reasons:
one, that Abe was extremely high for his
age, and the other, that he met everybody
with the salutation ''Hi!'' ''So, Abe," he said
good-naturedly, 'we'll just call you
High after this."

You can find the entire chapter titled appropriately "The Nickname"
here, beginning on page 132
https://archive.org/stream/boyhoodofabraham00gore#page/132/mode/2up

RE: Lincoln's Boyhood Nickname - ELCore - 03-19-2017 11:12 PM

That prize committee seems to be a mighty powerful organization. Big Grin

RE: Lincoln's Boyhood Nickname - LincolnMan - 04-06-2019 08:35 AM

I missed this thread when it was first posted. I had no clue what his nickname might have been. Does make me wonder how long the greeting “hi” has been around.

RE: Lincoln's Boyhood Nickname - LincolnMan - 04-07-2019 07:33 AM

I called someone I know a “tall drink of water” once because of his height—he’s been known as “tall drink” ever since. I don’t call him that but everyone else does. Gotta be careful with nicknames.