Lincoln Discussion Symposium
Best Reads of 2016 - Printable Version

+- Lincoln Discussion Symposium (https://rogerjnorton.com/LincolnDiscussionSymposium)
+-- Forum: Lincoln Discussion Symposium (/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Books - over 15,000 to discuss (/forum-6.html)
+--- Thread: Best Reads of 2016 (/thread-3232.html)

Pages: 1 2

RE: Best Reads of 2016 - RobertLC - 01-07-2018 01:02 PM

Being retired seems to grant me less free time than I had when I worked so this year, as has been the case for the past several years, my reading was thin compared to some.

Only one new Lincoln book for me this year:
Lincoln’s White House by James B, Conroy.
I thoroughly enjoyed it and found it to be an easy, but very informative read.

I did get to reread two of my favorites:
Beware the People Weeping by Thomas Reed Turner, and
A. Lincoln: His Last 24 Hours by W. Emerson Reck (a wonderful little book).

My non-Lincoln reading this year exceeded my Lincoln reading with my favorite:
DaVinci’s Ghost by Toby Lester.
This is a small but great book full of facts related to history, art, geometry, religion, and much more. It is based on Leonardo DaVinci and his pursuit of a career and his drawing of the Vitruvian Man. I definitely plan rereads of this one.

And, of course, for the umpteenth time, I reread A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens. Can never read that book too many times.

I had a Lincoln reread list last year, but didn’t get to it:
Freedom Rising by Ernest B. Furgurson, and
The Baltimore Plot by Michael J. Kline.
I’ll try to get those two reread this year.

Happy New Year everyone!

Bob

RE: Best Reads of 2016 - kerry - 01-07-2018 07:00 PM

I forgot to mention two books by William B. Styple: Generals in Bronze and Tell Me of Lincoln. They both have very interesting, revealing commentary by participants in the Civil War talking years later. Based on the papers of a sculptor who interviewed them as he did his work.

RE: Best Reads of 2016 - L Verge - 01-07-2018 07:22 PM

(01-07-2018 07:00 PM)kerry Wrote:  I forgot to mention two books by William B. Styple: Generals in Bronze and Tell Me of Lincoln. They both have very interesting, revealing commentary by participants in the Civil War talking years later. Based on the papers of a sculptor who interviewed them as he did his work.

Bill Styple was a speaker at the Surratt conference the year his Generals book came out. He's as good a speaker as he is a writer.