Lincoln Discussion Symposium
The John Wilkes Booth Bobblehead...Poor taste? - Printable Version

+- Lincoln Discussion Symposium (https://rogerjnorton.com/LincolnDiscussionSymposium)
+-- Forum: Lincoln Discussion Symposium (/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Assassination (/forum-5.html)
+--- Thread: The John Wilkes Booth Bobblehead...Poor taste? (/thread-313.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

The John Wilkes Booth Bobblehead...Poor taste? - LincolnMan - 09-05-2012 10:56 AM

[Image: img2431za.jpg]

Do you consider this item something in "poor taste", harmless fun, or something else?

RE: The John Wilkes Booth Bobblehead...Poor taste? - Gene C - 09-05-2012 11:03 AM

If it doesn't fit in well with the rest of your home decor, it's harmless fun

RE: The John Wilkes Booth Bobblehead...Poor taste? - Rob Wick - 09-05-2012 11:09 AM

Bill,

I'm ambivalent about it. On the one hand, I think anyone can pretty well read into something with their own biases and make out of it what they want. Some collectors would want it simply for the collectible, while some may want to it glorify Booth. For me, simply, it is ugly and I have no interest in having it. But does it mean the end of civilization as we know it? Of course not.

P.T. Barnum was right.

Best
Rob

RE: The John Wilkes Booth Bobblehead...Poor taste? - BettyO - 09-05-2012 11:20 AM

I think he's pure fun! I have one as well. I would LOVE to have one of all four of the "original bobble-heads!" HA!

Meanwhile -- here are my statues of JWB and Powell which we had made about 30 years ago by a gentleman who had a shop in Gettysburg, PA. Mary Surratt is owned by Nancy Griffith, ex-President of the Surratt Society -

[Image: momandtheboysstatues.jpg]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

RE: The John Wilkes Booth Bobblehead...Poor taste? - LincolnMan - 09-05-2012 11:31 AM

Well, as you can see- I own it. However, like many items in my collection-I didn't purchase it. It was given to me. Apparently, it caused a stir in some marketing venues. I heard that the Gettysburg gift shop pulled it off it's shelves after receiving some negative input. I'm not sure what to think of it. In a way I guess it is in poor taste, but I don't take it seriously at all. I can take it or leave It. Yes, ole' PT was right!

RE: The John Wilkes Booth Bobblehead...Poor taste? - BettyO - 09-05-2012 11:44 AM

Yes they may be in "poor taste" to some, but they are fun collectables especially if you're into the history. He's NOT a hero figure - just plain fun -
By the way, you MAY possibly see these characters in various situations as "cartoons" from time to time.....

RE: The John Wilkes Booth Bobblehead...Poor taste? - Rob Wick - 09-05-2012 11:54 AM

Betty,

With all due respect, there are some people who still see him as a hero figure, and not "just plain fun."

Best
Rob

RE: The John Wilkes Booth Bobblehead...Poor taste? - BettyO - 09-05-2012 12:13 PM

Oh, I'm aware of that! I'm not one who sees him as a hero. He's not meant to be; although there are some who do. He IS interesting to research however!

RE: The John Wilkes Booth Bobblehead...Poor taste? - Rob Wick - 09-05-2012 12:30 PM

On that we completely agree.

Best
Rob

RE: The John Wilkes Booth Bobblehead...Poor taste? - LincolnMan - 09-05-2012 12:32 PM

Betty: your figure of Lew is turning his eyes to the side. Any idea what he's looking at? Smile

RE: The John Wilkes Booth Bobblehead...Poor taste? - BettyO - 09-05-2012 12:59 PM

Don't know -- unless it's Seward OR one of the Branson ladies.....

RE: The John Wilkes Booth Bobblehead...Poor taste? - Linda Anderson - 09-05-2012 01:32 PM

Speaking of Seward, Saturday, July 31, 2010 was William H. Seward Bobblehead Night at Falcon Park in Auburn, NY. The Auburn Doubledays gave the dolls to the first 1,000 fans who attended the game.

http://www.syracuse.com/news/index.ssf/2010/07/auburn_doubledays_add_seward_t.html

[Image: sewardbobblehead.jpg]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

RE: The John Wilkes Booth Bobblehead...Poor taste? - LincolnMan - 09-05-2012 01:34 PM

Betty: thought maybe he was looking for Davy...

RE: The John Wilkes Booth Bobblehead...Poor taste? - jonathan - 09-05-2012 02:02 PM

I think the Booth bobble head is kind of in poor taste, but I'm going to put a little spin on that and call it "whimsical" and confess that I'd like one. Wink

RE: The John Wilkes Booth Bobblehead...Poor taste? - BettyO - 09-05-2012 02:29 PM

I want one of those Seward bobble-heads! Wonder if you can get them online?

Jonathan - you can get a Booth bobble-head at Surratt House! Ask Laurie.....