Lincoln Discussion Symposium
Snow in Springtime - Printable Version

+- Lincoln Discussion Symposium (https://rogerjnorton.com/LincolnDiscussionSymposium)
+-- Forum: Lincoln Discussion Symposium (/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Other (/forum-10.html)
+--- Thread: Snow in Springtime (/thread-2939.html)

Pages: 1 2

Snow in Springtime - ELCore - 04-03-2016 11:30 AM

I don't know what the weather is like in the rest of the country, but this is what it's like here in PA today.

April Morning

(April 16, 1988)

Snow
in springtime:
April's warm days
vow summer is coming;
but winter hugs earth still,
counting dear its last, brief embraces.
We wake to find white over green,
today's thin red line much shorter than yesterday's;
and fear (despite our hopes) spring's promise is broken.
But the sun rises to the age-old challenge:
treks its way, revealing fresh wet green
amongst houses' and pines' white shadows.
The promise remains, but reminds:
summer's still far off;
April's warm days
are only
token.

E. L. Core

© 1988 ELC

RE: Snow in Springtime - LincolnMan - 04-04-2016 07:07 AM

We had flurries in Michigan all weekend!

RE: Snow in Springtime - Gene C - 04-04-2016 07:20 AM

We had a blizzard at Dairy Queen

Nice poem! It takes me back to the time when I lived further north.

RE: Snow in Springtime - LincolnMan - 04-04-2016 07:22 AM

You're too funny! You could have had a snow cone too.

RE: Snow in Springtime - LincolnMan - 04-04-2016 04:45 PM

Snowing again here!
I remember being in the White Mountain of New Hampshire in May (courtesy of the U.S. Army) and thinking how strange that it would be snowing. Of course, we were in the mountains. We had flown in from Fort Campbell in Kentucky where the temps were in the 70's. Oh well.

RE: Snow in Springtime - L Verge - 04-04-2016 04:51 PM

I'm upset because they are calling for chilly weather this weekend, just in time for the Surratt conference. Saturday, everything is inside, but we have a bus tour on Friday and another on Sunday. We don't need Southern Maryland heat and humidity, but it would be nice to have temperatures in the 60s and 70s.

Our daffodils got clobbered by high winds this weekend. Our dogwoods, redbuds, wild cherries, and pear trees are still hanging on, but they will not appreciate freezing temperatures in the next few days.

RE: Snow in Springtime - Miss_Bellatrix - 04-05-2016 07:42 AM

I'm in southwestern Ontario in a small town called Goderich on the shores of Lake Huron. We've got so much snow right now it looks like it's February and not April! We ended up with about six or seven inches of snow Sunday and into Monday morning. While we are accustomed to getting the occasional flurry in early April this was a bit over the top. Mother Nature is making us pay for the very mild winter we had here.

Bill, I'm sure where you are looks very similar to where I am! We get very similar weather to Michigan. It seems whenever it snows in Detroit, it manages to come up here to where I am!

RE: Snow in Springtime - LincolnMan - 04-06-2016 07:15 AM

Miss Bellatrix: exactly right!
Are there sites of interest related to the Civil War in or around you?

RE: Snow in Springtime - ELCore - 04-06-2016 09:21 AM

It's going into the 60's today, but the forecast is for the 30's over the weekend.

RE: Snow in Springtime - Gencor - 04-06-2016 12:23 PM

I live in Louisiana where we have hardly even had a winter season. Today it is gorgeous and around 60 degrees here. I am actually planting caladium bulbs today! However, our pecan trees are not budding yet and that tells me that there is still come chill in the air to come. I love living in the deep south! LOLSmile

RE: Snow in Springtime - Thomas Kearney - 04-06-2016 03:54 PM

My meteorologist is calling for snow showers the day of the Surratt Society conference.

RE: Snow in Springtime - Wild Bill - 04-06-2016 05:21 PM

In Arizona it is 92 in the shade and partly cloudy. This trip will kill me!

RE: Snow in Springtime - Miss_Bellatrix - 04-09-2016 11:29 AM

(04-06-2016 07:15 AM)LincolnMan Wrote:  Miss Bellatrix: exactly right!

There are not any sites that I'm aware in and around the Goderich but we do have a few connections to the Civil War. There were some men from Goderich that enlisted in a regiment in Michigan and fought in the Civil War. I plan on looking in that more because I'm sure it will be mentioned in the local paper.

General Sherman also visited my hometown in 1866. It was around the time of the Fenian Raids and he came here to reassure us that there would not be an invasion. Goderich has a large commercial harbour and we are directly across from Michigan. Sherman arrived here by boat. I just found out a few months ago when a local history teacher wrote about it in the local paper. This is the article here in case you (or anyone else) is interested in having a look at it.

Sherman did make a speech while he was here. I found a writeup about the speech he gave here.

There is also a very large and very old tree here near the harbour on one of the walking trails. There's a sign by it and it mentions General Sherman since he commented on the size of the tree when he was in Goderich.

I volunteer at the local museum here and I was thinking if I found enough information maybe they'd include something about my town's connection to the Civil War. They do have a military gallery and I think it's a really cool thing about my town that we do have a small connection to the Civil War.

RE: Snow in Springtime - LincolnMan - 04-10-2016 02:38 PM

Is it said that Lincoln got off the boat? Even if he didn't it sounds like he was in Canadian waters.

(04-09-2016 11:29 AM)Miss_Bellatrix Wrote:  
(04-06-2016 07:15 AM)LincolnMan Wrote:  Miss Bellatrix: exactly right!

There are not any sites that I'm aware in and around the Goderich but we do have a few connections to the Civil War. There were some men from Goderich that enlisted in a regiment in Michigan and fought in the Civil War. I plan on looking in that more because I'm sure it will be mentioned in the local paper.

General Sherman also visited my hometown in 1866. It was around the time of the Fenian Raids and he came here to reassure us that there would not be an invasion. Goderich has a large commercial harbour and we are directly across from Michigan. Sherman arrived here by boat. I just found out a few months ago when a local history teacher wrote about it in the local paper. This is the article here in case you (or anyone else) is interested in having a look at it.

Sherman did make a speech while he was here. I found a writeup about the speech he gave here.

There is also a very large and very old tree here near the harbour on one of the walking trails. There's a sign by it and it mentions General Sherman since he commented on the size of the tree when he was in Goderich.

I volunteer at the local museum here and I was thinking if I found enough information maybe they'd include something about my town's connection to the Civil War. They do have a military gallery and I think it's a really cool thing about my town that we do have a small connection to the Civil War.

This is great history. Thank you!

RE: Snow in Springtime - LincolnMan - 05-15-2016 07:04 AM

It's May 15th. I look outside my window here in my home in Michigan-and what do I see? It's snowing! Poor tulips...