Lincoln Discussion Symposium
Underground - New Series about the Underground Railroad on WGN - Printable Version

+- Lincoln Discussion Symposium (https://rogerjnorton.com/LincolnDiscussionSymposium)
+-- Forum: Lincoln Discussion Symposium (/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: News and Announcements (/forum-7.html)
+--- Thread: Underground - New Series about the Underground Railroad on WGN (/thread-2905.html)

Pages: 1 2

Underground - New Series about the Underground Railroad on WGN - Linda Anderson - 03-08-2016 05:50 PM

A new series about the Underground Railroad debuts on March 9 at 10 PM on WGN America. There is a channel finder in the first link.

http://www.wgnamerica.com/series/underground

http://www.hitfix.com/whats-alan-watching/review-wgns-underground-is-roots-meets-prison-break

"On the whole, Americans don't know much about the Underground Railroad, which wasn't an actual railroad but a secret network of passageways and safe houses slaves used to escape to the North and Canada before and during the Civil War.

"That fascinating and dangerous experience is dramatized WGN America's Underground -- as a suspenseful thriller. It's about a fictional group of slaves who dare escape a plantation -- and an abolitionist couple who will help them.

"Underground portrays slavery like you've never seen it before: through characters on a courageous run for their lives...

"If you'd like to watch "Underground," you can see it on the following cable and satellite channels:

"Time Warner Cable: Channel 9
DirecTV: Channel 307
ATT U-Verse: Channel 180
Dish Network: Channel 239"

http://fox6now.com/2016/03/06/wgn-america-underground-explores-real-life-story-of-the-underground-railroad/

RE: Underground - New Series about the Underground Railroad on WGN - L Verge - 03-08-2016 07:51 PM

(03-08-2016 05:50 PM)Linda Anderson Wrote:  A new series about the Underground Railroad debuts on March 9 at 10 PM on WGN.

http://www.hitfix.com/whats-alan-watching/review-wgns-underground-is-roots-meets-prison-break

"On the whole, Americans don't know much about the Underground Railroad, which wasn't an actual railroad but a secret network of passageways and safe houses slaves used to escape to the North and Canada before and during the Civil War.

"That fascinating and dangerous experience is dramatized WGN America's Underground -- as a suspenseful thriller. It's about a fictional group of slaves who dare escape a plantation -- and an abolitionist couple who will help them.

"Underground portrays slavery like you've never seen it before: through characters on a courageous run for their lives...

"If you'd like to watch "Underground," you can see it on the following cable and satellite channels:

"Time Warner Cable: Channel 9
DirecTV: Channel 307
ATT U-Verse: Channel 180
Dish Network: Channel 239"

http://fox6now.com/2016/03/06/wgn-america-underground-explores-real-life-story-of-the-underground-railroad/

I wonder if Kate Clifford Larson was involved in the production of this?

RE: Underground - New Series about the Underground Railroad on WGN - Thomas Kearney - 03-09-2016 12:14 PM

It looks really interesting. I will have an episode recap up by Friday, because I have class the next day so I can't stay up late watching it.

RE: Underground - New Series about the Underground Railroad on WGN - Thomas Kearney - 03-11-2016 08:24 PM

The Macon 7 Episode Recap:
Noah, a runaway slave on the Macon Plantation near Atlanta, GA, becomes tired of slave life and want to run to freedom via the Underground Railroad. He recruits Moses, the preacher, Sam, the carpenter, Rosalee, a house maid, Zeke, Pearly Mae, Moses' wife, and Cato, the master's right hand man, to come up with an escape plan. In a subplot, it is the Master's daughter's birthday, and his brother and wife are coming for the celebration. John Hawkes is a senator who is against slavery and is dealing not only with his brother, the master, but his nut job wife, who does not want to have kids because she saw how Rosalee's kid brother is treated. At the end of the episode, Noah and Cato are called into the Master's office to discuss Noah's business trip to Atlanta, where he tried to escape. It is implied that Cato gave the escape part away.

I will have a review for next week's episode up at the same time. I hope this helps for those who missed the premiere.

RE: Underground - New Series about the Underground Railroad on WGN - Gene C - 03-11-2016 09:08 PM

Thanks Thomas, I don't get any of those channels, so far has this looked like a good program?

RE: Underground - New Series about the Underground Railroad on WGN - Thomas Kearney - 03-11-2016 10:56 PM

(03-11-2016 09:08 PM)Gene C Wrote:  Thanks Thomas, I don't get any of those channels, so far has this looked like a good program?

Gene, WGN America announced they will put all episodes on their website after they air. It has been a good show so far.

RE: Underground - New Series about the Underground Railroad on WGN - Thomas Kearney - 03-18-2016 08:45 PM

War Chest Episode Recap:

Everyone at the plantation is getting ready for the big dance, and Noah recruits Sam and Moses to join him in running away. John is called to Philadelphia to speak with Henry "Box" Brown, who escaped to freedom in a crate from Virginia. While there, slave catchers come to look for Brown, and John steps in and explains the rules of a free African American and the slave catchers are arrested. While at the plantation, Noah fixes the delivery man's truck in exchange for secret plans. Cato catches what is going on and confronts Noah. After a fist fight and robbing the gun of an ancestor of the Master, Cato agrees to join Noah, Sam and Moses. Pearly Mae and their daughter ask Moses to tell Noah they will join him. The episode ends with Noah asking Rosalee to run with him.

I will have an episode recap for next week's episode "The Lord's Day" up Saturday night.

RE: Underground - New Series about the Underground Railroad on WGN - Thomas Kearney - 03-26-2016 09:01 PM

The Lord's Day Episode recap:

Noah puts the finishing touches of the escape plan in place and helps Sam test out a harness he is making. Zeke's wife Seraphina is sold because the master found out she had drowned their newborn daughter. Noah assigns Rosalee to sneak into the master's desk to get his stamp and wax to forge letters authorizing their freedom. John and Elizabeth prepare their home for their new baby and the Underground Railroad. Rosalee is caught by her mom for stealing the stamp and wax, so they pay the master's son to play with it to cover up what Rosalee did.While walking back to her quarters, Rosalee is called into the overseers house. He ends up dying of over drinking when he is sleeping with Rosalee so she tells Noah to change the plan, and they sneak out of the plantation.

I am on Spring Break, So I will have the next two episode recaps up 4/10.

RE: Underground - New Series about the Underground Railroad on WGN - L Verge - 03-26-2016 10:11 PM

Someone asked me at the museum the other day if I was watching this series. I am not because I watch very little television, but I did say that a young man on a Lincoln forum was keeping us updated. Thanks.

RE: Underground - New Series about the Underground Railroad on WGN - Thomas Kearney - 04-20-2016 03:58 PM

Sorry I haven't been posting episode recaps lately. Spring is a busy time for us Boothies. I will binge watch the episodes I missed this week and have a mega recap up this weekend.

RE: Underground - New Series about the Underground Railroad on WGN - LincolnMan - 04-21-2016 07:16 AM

There is a statue in Detroit by the banks of the Detroit River of escaped slaves looking towards Canada-very moving. Detroit was one of the last stops in the Underground Railroad using that route.

RE: Underground - New Series about the Underground Railroad on WGN - Thomas Kearney - 04-23-2016 05:14 PM

Took a break from binging after two episodes to post a double recap for "Firefly" and "Run And Gun":

August Pullman and his son start to spend more time together while trying to hunt down Noah and Rosalee, who hide in a tool shed their first night on the run. Noah leaves to look for the others. The master begins a manhunt for Rosalee and Noah, and puts the plantation on lockdown until they are capture. Mr. Cato is named the new overseer after the old one died. His first day on the job is a hard one, but when night falls, he and the Macon 7 burn the cotton crop and begin to run. All but Pearly Mae escape because she got her foot stuck between the cracks of a bridge. When the rest meet up with Noah, he brings them to Rosalee's hiding spot, where they spend the night. Pearly Mae is tortured and questioned by the master, who invites her to dinner and kills her by poisoning the tea. Noah and some of the runaways meet with a former railroad worker to plan their stowing away on a train to Atlanta. In the process, Moses is wounded and Zeke is killed by the slave catchers. John and Elizabeth face a huge problem when the runaways they are hiding ask what abolition means and why Seraphina was sold. Eventually they are set free after being held hostage.

I will have a recap for the next two episodes ASAP.

RE: Underground - New Series about the Underground Railroad on WGN - Thomas Kearney - 05-11-2016 04:13 PM

I will watch Episodes 6-8 tonight and will have a recap up by tomorrow.

RE: Underground - New Series about the Underground Railroad on WGN - Thomas Kearney - 05-13-2016 06:34 PM

Episode 6 Recap:

The Macons welcome a new son, while Pullman spots the Macon runaways hijack a boat that is used by prostitutes, which they take over. Pullman is able to get on and wrestles with Rosalee into the water. Mr. Cato shoots Pullman and Rosalee swims back on to the boat. While on their way to a place to spend the night, Pullman and his son Ben run into one of the prostitutes, who says she knows where the slaves may have gone. Back at the plantation, Ms. Ernestine confesses to poisoning Pearly Mae, it wasn't the Master who killed her. At night, Rosalee goes missing and Noah blames Mr. Cato. When Slave catchers arrive to try and capture them the next morning, Native Americans shoot the slave catchers dead, thanks to Rosalee, who went to get them for help.

I will have an episode 7-10 recap ASAP.

Underground has been renewed for a Second Season, set to premiere in early 2017. Season 1 DVD will be out June 14th from Tribune Studios.

RE: Underground - New Series about the Underground Railroad on WGN - RJNorton - 05-14-2016 05:27 AM

Thanks for summarizing, Thomas!