Lincoln Discussion Symposium
Laura Keene's Naturalization Papers - Printable Version

+- Lincoln Discussion Symposium (https://rogerjnorton.com/LincolnDiscussionSymposium)
+-- Forum: Lincoln Discussion Symposium (/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Assassination (/forum-5.html)
+--- Thread: Laura Keene's Naturalization Papers (/thread-2713.html)

Laura Keene's Naturalization Papers - BettyO - 10-18-2015 07:10 PM

Found Laura Keene's Naturalization papers, circa 1856. Of particular interest - she had to "particularly renounce the crown and British Queen!" Sort of an insult, really - but I guess that 1856 was so close to the American Revolution that they felt compelled to include that.

[attachment=1889]

RE: Laura Keene's Naturalization Papers - Dennis Urban - 10-18-2015 08:11 PM

Very cool find. Never thought to look for them. I wonder if the papers from the several legal suits over the rights to Our American Cousin are available.

RE: Laura Keene's Naturalization Papers - LincolnMan - 10-18-2015 09:20 PM

I assume that is not her signature?

RE: Laura Keene's Naturalization Papers - RJNorton - 10-19-2015 08:22 AM

Here's a link to Laura Keene's signature:

http://autographmagazine.com/wp-content/gallery/helenamodjeska/LauraKeeneSig.jpg

RE: Laura Keene's Naturalization Papers - LincolnMan - 10-19-2015 01:39 PM

They do not look alike.

RE: Laura Keene's Naturalization Papers - Tom Bogar - 10-19-2015 07:38 PM

(10-18-2015 08:11 PM)Dennis Urban Wrote:  Very cool find. Never thought to look for them. I wonder if the papers from the several legal suits over the rights to Our American Cousin are available.

Dennis, they are. Some are in her papers at the Library of Congress and some in the Harvard Theatre Collection. Copies of them are also in the (late) Ben Graf Henneke (Keene's biographer) Papers at the University of Tulsa.

RE: Laura Keene's Naturalization Papers - Susan Higginbotham - 10-20-2015 11:54 PM

(10-18-2015 07:10 PM)BettyO Wrote:  Found Laura Keene's Naturalization papers, circa 1856. Of particular interest - she had to "particularly renounce the crown and British Queen!" Sort of an insult, really - but I guess that 1856 was so close to the American Revolution that they felt compelled to include that.

The language was still being used in 1880. John Brophy's naturalization that year contains it.