Lincoln Discussion Symposium
The Good Old Days in Education - Printable Version

+- Lincoln Discussion Symposium (https://rogerjnorton.com/LincolnDiscussionSymposium)
+-- Forum: Lincoln Discussion Symposium (/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Other (/forum-10.html)
+--- Thread: The Good Old Days in Education (/thread-2596.html)

The Good Old Days in Education - L Verge - 08-05-2015 08:11 PM

If you haven't seen this, take a look at how things have changed. No PowerPoint presentation or similar computers here...

http://www.uniquescoop.com/2015/06/oklahoma-school-replaces-chalkboards.html?m=1

RE: The Good Old Days in Education - Eva Elisabeth - 08-06-2015 02:54 PM

Thanks for sharing, Laurie - this is fascinating! Especially what vibrant colors of chalk were already available in those days which we are used to see depicted in b&w photos. Also I personally still prefer the blackboard to the e-version (smart board). Anyway, no gadget spares the efforts of learning.

RE: The Good Old Days in Education - HerbS - 08-06-2015 05:01 PM

Black boards-then green boards,white chalk,ditto-machines before Xerox,pointers before lasers! Movies and slides before VCR'S,no power point yet!Sharing department ideas,with tough tests before regents!No Common Core exams.Grade books,lesson plans[corrected in red by department chairs,and seating charts.Faculity lounge,where the people would actually talk to each other!Faculty meetings and faculty cafeteria,and so on and so on-when you might ask,1966!

RE: The Good Old Days in Education - RJNorton - 08-06-2015 05:20 PM

(08-06-2015 05:01 PM)HerbS Wrote:  ...lesson plans corrected in red by department chairs...

We had to turn our lesson plans in to the principal each Friday (covering the next week). We never got them back. I do not know if he ever even read them.

RE: The Good Old Days in Education - Thomas Kearney - 08-06-2015 05:32 PM

I was going to school in between the transition from white to smart board so I have experienced the good old days.

RE: The Good Old Days in Education - HerbS - 08-06-2015 06:52 PM

Then the department chairs had the vice principals look at our lesson plans!Then the unions suggested merrit pay for good teachers!However,we all made sure we got raises and a bonus!Thankfully,I taught in an area of the home offices of Kodak,Xerox,and Bausch and Lomb!Boy,am I glad that I retired when I did!District and State buyouts,unused sick days,bonus,and free medical were in play! Those were the days!