Lincoln Discussion Symposium
Thank You Bill Binzel - Printable Version

+- Lincoln Discussion Symposium (https://rogerjnorton.com/LincolnDiscussionSymposium)
+-- Forum: Lincoln Discussion Symposium (/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Other (/forum-10.html)
+--- Thread: Thank You Bill Binzel (/thread-2495.html)

Thank You Bill Binzel - L Verge - 06-05-2015 02:51 PM

Knowing the ins and outs of how things work around D.C., Bill Binzel took the bull by the horns and contacted Senator Mark Warner of Virginia and alerted him to the situation of the Garrett farm site now being pretty much off-limits to the casual visitor. That was in January of this year.

Senator Warner made an inquiry of the proper officials who deal with the Ft. A.P. Hill Military Reservation and received a synopsis of what has transpired up to mid-April and a promise that the situation would be followed to see if any accommodations can be made to keep the site's history alive. They confirmed that the median strip where the house stood is listed as an archaelogical site on military property, and also that they would be working with VDOT and county officials to work out a solution.

Thank you, Bill, for your interest and efforts on our behalf.

RE: Thank You Bill Binzel - BettyO - 06-05-2015 02:54 PM

Fantastic!!

RE: Thank You Bill Binzel - HerbS - 06-05-2015 04:15 PM

SUPER!

RE: Thank You Bill Binzel - RJNorton - 06-05-2015 04:24 PM

Way to go, Bill!

RE: Thank You Bill Binzel - Eva Elisabeth - 06-15-2015 01:39 PM

Agreed!!!

RE: Thank You Bill Binzel - wpbinzel - 07-13-2015 08:43 PM

Thank you, Laurie. When I worked on Capitol Hill, I learned that no one (including the Army) enjoyed having to explain their actions to to Congress, especially when a constituent's interests was concerned. That is why I thought that if the Army had to explain to Virginia Senator Mark Warner why the Garrett Farm site had been suddenly closed to the public, and what the Army's plans for the site were, they might be willing to open it in the future. I will keep in contact with Senator Warner and trust that he will continue to keep in contact with the Army. This site it too important to be permanently closed to the public.