Lincoln Discussion Symposium
Photos from Springfield - Printable Version

+- Lincoln Discussion Symposium (https://rogerjnorton.com/LincolnDiscussionSymposium)
+-- Forum: Lincoln Discussion Symposium (/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Abraham Lincoln's Legacy (/forum-9.html)
+--- Thread: Photos from Springfield (/thread-2432.html)

Pages: 1 2

Photos from Springfield - RJNorton - 04-30-2015 08:27 AM

Many thanks to Angela for sending the information/photos in this post. She has been traveling throughout Illinois seeing all the historic sites and has now reached Springfield for the upcoming commemoration there.

Angela writes, "Here is a first impression...many houses and businesses are draped in black or have their flags at half staff."

[Image: springfield100.JPG]

[Image: springfield101.JPG]

RE: Photos from Springfield - STS Lincolnite - 04-30-2015 08:31 AM

Thanks Angela!! I plan on arriving in Springfield late tonight so hopefully over the next couple of days I will have some photos to add to this thread as well.

RE: Photos from Springfield - Eva Elisabeth - 04-30-2015 02:13 PM

Thanks, Angela - and both of you, Scott and Angela, have a wonderful time in Springfield! I'm looking forward to more photos, and hopefully a report...

RE: Photos from Springfield - Thomas Kearney - 04-30-2015 06:09 PM

Thanks, Angela. Wish I could make it.

RE: Photos from Springfield - LincolnToddFan - 04-30-2015 10:09 PM

Angela, thanks for the photos. Absolutely beautiful!

I hope you and Scott have a wonderful time!

RE: Photos from Springfield - Angela - 05-01-2015 12:35 AM

As a short update, I attended with David Wiegers a very interesting symposium "Mourning Father Abraham" with speakers: Michael Burlingame (EXCELLENT!), Louis P. Masur (GREAT!) and Martha Hodes at the University of Illinois.
A most special evening!
The city is packed with tour busses, but very few people venture out to explore beyond the museum as of today.
I expect that will change tomorrow.

There are various mourning badges, from very simple to very fancy, available. I just send Roger a picture of the one I opted for, to be posted. Will try to get a hold of more pictures of the ones available.
Looking forward to meeting up with Scott tomorrow - we planned to put our ALPLM membershib to good use and invite some people in for free.

RE: Photos from Springfield - RJNorton - 05-01-2015 04:53 AM

Thank you, Angela!

[Image: badgespringfield.JPG]

RE: Photos from Springfield - Eva Elisabeth - 05-01-2015 06:15 AM

Yes, thanks for letting us catch a glimpse at all these touching, "historical" events and moments!

RE: Photos from Springfield - STS Lincolnite - 05-01-2015 10:06 PM

A night time view of Lincoln's home with mourning decoration. Sorry, don't know why the picture pulled in sideways. - first photo

Replica of the Lincoln Funeral Car. Details are AMAZING! Also some of the original furniture from the original Funeral Car - the pieces have been re-upholstered since 1865. - second, third, and fourth photos

Representative Hall in the Old Illinois State House. It was here (the furniture removed and under the portrait of Washington) that Lincoln lay in state while in Springfield. Sorry that one came in sideways too. Must have something to do with vertical vs. horizontal photo. - fifth photo

RE: Photos from Springfield - Eva Elisabeth - 05-01-2015 10:20 PM

Great photos Scott, especially the first one. Thanks!!!

RE: Photos from Springfield - Angela - 05-02-2015 12:16 AM

Beautiful pics! I just walked out there and had it all to myself for a few minutes. Crowds seem to head to the encampment at Lincoln Park.

The presentation at "Lincoln through the Arts" was very well done and there were quite a few amazing poetry readings, a marvellous musical mix of Dixie and the Battle Hymn as well as beautiful pictures and sculptures.
I had a chance to spend the evening with my favorite sculptor John McClary and his wonderful wife who had contributed several pieces to the exhibit.

AND Dave Wiegers, along with his wife, and Scott were the best part of this wonderful day!
Great start into the weekend!

RE: Photos from Springfield - RJNorton - 05-02-2015 05:15 AM

Many thanks to Angela and Scott for letting us all be "a part" of the Springfield commemoration. Here are some more photos that Angela sent. THANK YOU Scott and Angela!!

[Image: springfield504.JPG]

[Image: springfield505.JPG]

RE: Photos from Springfield - Eva Elisabeth - 05-02-2015 07:25 AM

Wonderful you could meet with friends - it's so much nicer to share such impressions. Thanks again for sharing with us. "Lincoln through the Arts" sounds most interesting (just "Dixie" I personally find a tune for a birthday celebration/party rather than for a death commemoration).

RE: Photos from Springfield - Angela - 05-02-2015 07:31 AM

(05-02-2015 07:25 AM)Eva Elisabeth Wrote:  Wonderful you could meet with friends - it's so much nicer to share such impressions. Thanks again for sharing with us. "Lincoln through the Arts" sounds most interesting (just "Dixie" I personally find a tune for a birthday celebration/party rather than for a death commemoration).

Eva, it was an evening to celebrate his life. But I agree with you concerning the tune. Yet , in this piece of music, they combined the two songs into one and thay both sounded very somber. Sorry, I am lacking the vocabulary to explain this satisfactory since I am not a misuc expert.

RE: Photos from Springfield - Eva Elisabeth - 05-02-2015 07:56 AM

(05-02-2015 07:31 AM)Angela Wrote:  
(05-02-2015 07:25 AM)Eva Elisabeth Wrote:  Wonderful you could meet with friends - it's so much nicer to share such impressions. Thanks again for sharing with us. "Lincoln through the Arts" sounds most interesting (just "Dixie" I personally find a tune for a birthday celebration/party rather than for a death commemoration).
Eva, it was an evening to celebrate his life.
Angela, I am very sorry for my comment on something I haven't witnessed and just wanted to delete it. Thanks for this point of view, I just couldn't combine the happy, lively tune with the sad occasion, but this explanation certainly makes sense, especially as it sounded somber (thus respectful to the occasion). Sorry and thanks again! Enjoy the rest of your stay!