Lincoln Discussion Symposium
Trip to D.C. - help, please! - Printable Version

+- Lincoln Discussion Symposium (https://rogerjnorton.com/LincolnDiscussionSymposium)
+-- Forum: Lincoln Discussion Symposium (/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Other (/forum-10.html)
+--- Thread: Trip to D.C. - help, please! (/thread-1843.html)

Pages: 1 2

Trip to D.C. - help, please! - Angela - 07-30-2014 05:20 PM

The stars aligned in my favor this week and I'm lucky to be able to visit Washington D.C. again from August 4th to 9th.

It will be my fourth visit and while I have done so much walking and sightseeing, I can't help but wonder about all the things that I might have missed.
Therefore I was wondering if the brilliant minds on this forum have a few places to direct me on all things Lincoln in the capital?

In the past, I have - of course - visited the Lincoln Memorial, the Capitol, the Portrait Gallery and the museum of American History. I tried Ford's but that did not go so well but I was impressed by Lincoln Park.
I have a recommendation to visit Fort Stevens and the Lincoln statue at Fort Lincoln Cemetery. And I - finally - scheduled a visit to Soldiers Home.

Since this is a rather spontaneous trip, I will not be able to visit the White House.

Is there anything else that anybody would recommend seeing?

Thank you very much in advance!

RE: Trip to D.C. - help, please! - BettyO - 07-30-2014 06:00 PM

Angela, if you are in DC this weekend - please make sure to arrange to stop by Fort Leslie J. McNair on Saturday, August 2nd. They will be having their Open House and you can visit the Conspirator's trial room and hanging grounds. I will also be giving tours this Saturday. Also don't miss the Surratt House if you can make it! It's about thirteen miles from DC. You would also like the Clara Barton House and Lafayette Square.

RE: Trip to D.C. - help, please! - Eva Elisabeth - 07-30-2014 06:13 PM

Robert's (and his family's) grave in Arlington, and you can also see Lee's (wife's) villa from there (from JFK's grave e.g.). If I could go to DC again, I would love to visit Mount Vernon. (Has even to do with Lincoln - Mary and her half-sister Margaret went there on March 26,1861.) And Frederick Douglass' house. Hope you'll have a great trip and time!!! If you don't yet have accomodation - the William Penn House is fantastic - right next to the Capitol, lovely house, very nice and interesting fellow-boarders and good breakfast for 40$/night.

RE: Trip to D.C. - help, please! - L Verge - 07-30-2014 06:21 PM

What was the problem with Ford's last time? Try emailing Eric.Martin@nps.gov. He's a wonderful Park Ranger there and may be working during that period and can cut through some ropes for you. Tell him that Laurie at Surratt House sent you. Make sure you see the Petersen House across the street, if you didn't before.

I would also love to have you visit Surratt House, but I suspect that transportation may be an issue. The Clara Barton House in Glen Echo, Maryland, may be a problem distance wise also; however, her office downtown where she worked after the war trying to get families and soldiers reunited or bodies found is now open right in the heart of the city. I should know the address, but I don't.

It's short notice, but if August 2 isn't good for seeing the courtroom at McNair, I can send you a number or email for Leah Rubalaca, who is the one who coordinates getting people on base. Considering the distance you have traveled, she might accommodate you.

If you are into Lincoln statues, one of the oldest ones sits in front of what used to be City Hall and was also the courthouse where John Surratt's trial was held. It has been restored lately and I think is the Court of Appeals. It's not far from Capitol Hill (and again, I know how to get there, but not the address!). Across the street is the only monument to a Confederate general in the city. It honors Albert Pike, but not for his war efforts. It has something to do with his service to the Masonic Order.

The Great Reading Room of the Library of Congress is a sight to behold architecturally. Security is tight, but it's worth the try. And close to the West Front of the Capitol is an absolutely magnificent sculpture to Gen Grant. It's huge and encompasses the war theme. Can't remember the sculptor's name, but he incorporated his own image into the work.

If I think of anything else, I'll post it.

You probably can't afford to stay there or eat there, but stroll into the lobby of Willard's Hotel and down Peacock Alley - which is the main hall from the front to the back doors. I haven't seen it lately, but it used to be very impressive. The Newseum now sits where Booth's haunt, the National Hotel, stood. Great museum, but it takes hours to go through and the admission is quite high.

RE: Trip to D.C. - help, please! - BettyO - 07-30-2014 06:28 PM

And - don't forget lunch at the Wok and Roll Chinese Restaurant in DC's Chinatown - on H Street! This was Mrs. Surratt's boarding house where the conspirators met. I've been told by various folk that if you ask nicely to speak to the owner, that he'll actually let you go upstairs in the boarding house portion of the structure - I've got to do that someday! I've been dying to go upstairs for years and years!

RE: Trip to D.C. - help, please! - Linda Anderson - 07-30-2014 07:08 PM

I know you said all things Lincoln in DC but I highly recommend Mount Vernon. We went there before we left for home after a conference and it was amazing. We thought we would only stay a couple of hours but we stayed until it closed at six that night. You can tour Washington's house, the gardens, the grounds, the slave quarters and, best of all, the incredible museum.

Also, if you are visiting the Soldiers' Home, perhaps you'll have the time to go to nearby Rock Creek Cemetery where (most of) Lewis Powell is buried not to mention Gore Vidal, author of Lincoln. Also, Saint-Gaudens' haunting memorial to Clover Adams is something you shouldn't miss. Clover's husband Henry was a close friend of John Hay.

Have a wonderful time on your trip!

RE: Trip to D.C. - help, please! - LincolnToddFan - 07-30-2014 08:06 PM

(07-30-2014 06:28 PM)BettyO Wrote:  And - don't forget lunch at the Wok and Roll Chinese Restaurant in DC's Chinatown - on H Street! This was Mrs. Surratt's boarding house where the conspirators met. I've been told by various folk that if you ask nicely to speak to the owner, that he'll actually let you go upstairs in the boarding house portion of the structure - I've got to do that someday! I've been dying to go upstairs for years and years!

Betty...I knew that Mrs. Surratt's boarding house is a Chinese restaurant now, but I had no idea that the upstairs is preserved and that visitors can occasionally have access to it...it would LOVE to tour it someday!

I wonder if there are ghosts......also I had NO IDEA that the Willard Hotel still stands-wow!!

Angela-

Do not leave D.C. without having some Maryland crabs, or crabcakes. I have not been to Washington since I was a child 40 years ago, but if memory serves it was the most delicious seafood imaginable!

RE: Trip to D.C. - help, please! - Angela - 07-31-2014 02:12 AM

My goodness - I did NOT expect so many wonderful answers!
Thank you so much Eva, Betty, Linda, Laurie and Toja - these ideas are amazing!

Betty, I would love to visit Fort Leslie - do you think it is still open next week or is it only open house on the weekend. We do not leave here since Monday.

Eva, thank you so much - we have a hotel booked already but I totally did not have the Douglass house in mind anymore. I put it on the list!

Linda - those are amazing tips concerning the trip to the cottage, I'll add theses stations and most certainly Rock Creek Cemetery. And YES, we have a tour planned to Mount Vernon as well. If the weather plays along, we'll take a boat trip on Friday.

Toia - you will totally get me to eat seafood which I have never had before! The description sounds YUM!

Laurie - absolutely amazing ideas! I put former city hall on the list and yes, the capitol, including the Library of Congress is on in our tour on Tuesday. I'm planning to take the creepy tunnel to get across the street; it's alway a lot of fun to emerge from the tunnel into that magnificent hall.

The Grant statue on the west side is gorgeous - did you know that it is the second largest equestrian statue in the world?

As for Fords, I'll pm you since I'm trying that again. I'll be taking my cousin who wants to see it. To know someone there would be great and I already appreciate your help so much!
You are right - Surrat House could be a transportation problem since we are only around for five days and have no rental car as of now.

Again - thank you all! I'm blown away by all these great ideas!

RE: Trip to D.C. - help, please! - Eva Elisabeth - 07-31-2014 05:20 AM

Have you checked out this thread?
http://rogerjnorton.com/LincolnDiscussionSymposium/thread-893.html

RE: Trip to D.C. - help, please! - BettyO - 07-31-2014 05:55 AM

Quote:Betty...I knew that Mrs. Surratt's boarding house is a Chinese restaurant now, but I had no idea that the upstairs is preserved and that visitors can occasionally have access to it...it would LOVE to tour it someday!

Toia - It's apparently something new. Another colleague of ours reported that he asked the owner if he could go upstairs and the gentleman agreed to let him go up. The upstairs is not restored or preserved in any "historic sense" manner. It is an apartment that this rented out, but I've been told now by two folk that if the owner is present and you ask, he will let you go up to see the upstairs.

I DO want desperately to get up there sometime!

Angela -

I have to talk to Leah today, so I'll call and see if arrangements can be made to have you shown the trial room next week....either Laurie or I can put you in touch definitely!

RE: Trip to D.C. - help, please! - Kieran McAuliffe - 07-31-2014 08:30 AM

Good Morning Angela
Be sure to go and visit the National Building Museum. When it was built it was called the Pension Building. It was built by Montgomery Meigs and, I think, is one of the most beautiful buildings in America. It is stunning. Take note of the exterior also. To quote the website... An Exterior Frieze (around the whole building measures) 1,200 feet long, 3 feet high, made of terra cotta. Features a continuous parade of Civil War military units designed by Caspar Buberl (1834-1899)
If you are lucky there will be no exhibit taking place and the main floor space will be empty. When you enter the building you will be awestruck.
When I visited once there was a short tour available.
See if you can find the small tribute to Abraham Lincoln hidden in plain sight. The building has a small snack bar and an excellent book store. Lots of information on their website...
http://www.nbm.org/about-us/about-the-museum/nbm-quick-facts.html

RE: Trip to D.C. - help, please! - L Verge - 07-31-2014 09:50 AM

Thanks for mentioning the Building Museum/Pension Building, Kieran. It is magnificent. I also pm'd Angela about the New York Avenue Presbyterian Church. It is not the original building that Lincoln knew, but they have the Lincoln pew and a parlor scene where the President used to sit for sermons without disturbing the congregation. Original settee and some other furniture, a copy of the Emancipation Proclamation, etc.

I also suggested the National Cathedral. It is comparable to many of the exquisite European cathedrals, plus it has the Lincoln Alcove with statues, etc. dedicated to his memory.

RE: Trip to D.C. - help, please! - Linda Anderson - 07-31-2014 10:37 AM

Angela, Lewis Powell's grave is not marked in Rock Creek Cemetery but Betty can tell you what section he is in.

My husband and I went to the Wok and Roll the Monday after the conference. After lunch I asked to go upstairs but the servers said the owner wasn't present so that was the end of that.

RE: Trip to D.C. - help, please! - L Verge - 07-31-2014 11:48 AM

Someone recommended eating crab cakes while on your visit. The best spots are hole-in-the-wall restaurants outside the city. I don't know what others like, but in D.C. and in the downtown area and easy to get to are Clyde's at Gallery Place (near Verizon Center and the H Street Boardinghouse) and Old Ebbitt Grill on 15th Street (a neighbor to the White House and Willard's). The latter is my favorite because of its Victorian bar - absolutely beautiful piece of woodwork and etched glass. Clyde's has a Victorian style too, but it's new.

The McCormick & Schmick's chain has a nice restaurant near Ford's Theatre in a 19th-century Masonic Lodge.

P.S. Bring money because no restaurant is cheap in D.C.

RE: Trip to D.C. - help, please! - Angela - 07-31-2014 03:43 PM

(07-31-2014 08:30 AM)Kieran McAuliffe Wrote:  Good Morning Angela
Be sure to go and visit the National Building Museum. When it was built it was called the Pension Building. It was built by Montgomery Meigs and, I think, is one of the most beautiful buildings in America. It is stunning. Take note of the exterior also. To quote the website... An Exterior Frieze (around the whole building measures) 1,200 feet long, 3 feet high, made of terra cotta. Features a continuous parade of Civil War military units designed by Caspar Buberl (1834-1899)
If you are lucky there will be no exhibit taking place and the main floor space will be empty. When you enter the building you will be awestruck.
When I visited once there was a short tour available.
See if you can find the small tribute to Abraham Lincoln hidden in plain sight. The building has a small snack bar and an excellent book store. Lots of information on their website...
http://www.nbm.org/about-us/about-the-museum/nbm-quick-facts.html

Kieran, this is news to me! Thank you so very much, I had no idea and will definitely put it on the list - it sounds amazing an I love the architecture that you have described!