Lincoln Discussion Symposium
Lincoln: dope smoking harmonica player? - Printable Version

+- Lincoln Discussion Symposium (https://rogerjnorton.com/LincolnDiscussionSymposium)
+-- Forum: Lincoln Discussion Symposium (/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Abraham Lincoln's Legacy (/forum-9.html)
+--- Thread: Lincoln: dope smoking harmonica player? (/thread-178.html)

Lincoln: dope smoking harmonica player? - LincolnMan - 08-05-2012 01:16 PM

This year we have Lincoln the Vampire Slayer-a movie I haven't seen but because of my interest in all things Lincoln-I'm constantly asked about. Oh well. Today I arrived at work in the Emergency Room to find a quote supposed to be by Lincoln as follows: "Two of my favorite things are sitting on my front porch smoking a pipe of sweet hemp, and playing my Hohner harmonica." Watching my reaction, the ER staff broke out laughing. So, I know the answer to this but I thought I'd check with you all-my esteemed Forum friends-any truth at all in this? Is there something written somewhere (credible) that claims Lincoln smoked dope? I'm laughing asking you all this! As far as musical instruments- he may have played around with a "jaw harp" but not a harmonica. Any musical instrument used by him?

RE: Lincoln: dope smoking harmonica player? - HerbS - 08-05-2012 04:18 PM

Bill,I don't know the answer,but methinks it's a "set up"

RE: Lincoln: dope smoking harmonica player? - L Verge - 08-05-2012 04:34 PM

I agree with Herb. Be a good historian and ask your friends in the ER to cite their sources!

RE: Lincoln: dope smoking harmonica player? - LincolnMan - 08-05-2012 04:41 PM

Herb & Laurie: I think you appreciate the humor in this. They all laughed and so did I. Great suggestion Laurie. I just thought I'd consult with the Lincoln buffs here to see if there is anything to it. If you read Roger's post-he cited that Lincoln may have played the harmonica. Keep smiling!

RE: Lincoln: dope smoking harmonica player? - Craig Hipkins - 08-05-2012 08:34 PM

Maybe this had something to do with his "Melancholy" Big Grin

Craig

RE: Lincoln: dope smoking harmonica player? - LincolnMan - 08-05-2012 08:39 PM

Well to play good blues one must know sadness and melancholy, right? Smile

RE: Lincoln: dope smoking harmonica player? - LincolnMan - 08-06-2012 05:22 PM

So no evidence anywhere that Lincoln smoked anything? I sure don't remember any citation of it.

RE: Lincoln: dope smoking harmonica player? - Rob Wick - 08-06-2012 07:19 PM

Interesting that you mention that Bill, because Ida Tarbell was asked that question several times by her correspondents. She always replied that Robert Todd Lincoln told her in no uncertain terms that his father never used tobacco of any form in any way.

Best
Rob

RE: Lincoln: dope smoking harmonica player? - LincolnMan - 08-06-2012 08:08 PM

Really? Thanks Rob. I didn't think the question was too off base. I'm asked it frequently.

RE: Lincoln: dope smoking harmonica player? - L Verge - 08-06-2012 09:12 PM

Call me naive, but for some reason I cannot envision Mr. Lincoln smoking anything! For one thing, cigarettes did not become popular in the U.S. until after the Crimean War, where soldiers were introduced to them. I can't see Lincoln puffing on a cigar or a pipe.

If he used tobacco in any form (and I doubt that he did), I can only think of him "having a chaw."

RE: Lincoln: dope smoking harmonica player? - LincolnMan - 08-06-2012 09:27 PM

Prince Albert in a can?

RE: Lincoln: dope smoking harmonica player? - Hess1865 - 08-10-2012 10:05 PM

better let him out!!!!

RE: Lincoln: dope smoking harmonica player? - LincolnMan - 08-11-2012 07:14 AM

I was wondering if someone would complete the joke. Thanks Hess1865!

RE: Lincoln: dope smoking harmonica player? - Ashley Norman - 11-18-2012 04:52 PM

I saw Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter and I honestly think it takes aways from the history of the Lincolns becasue of the vampire thing and it protrays them quite differently . I was unable to enjoy the movie becasue it had the basic pinpoint of Abraham but strayed big time away from who he was and what he could accomplish a man and president.

It was a good movie scifi wise but thats about it . it completely spins the Abraham in to a totaly new person. there are a few senes that have some historaical value but not much. I didnt care for it and i like the joke about it . ( i read that one on here i like it )