Lincoln Discussion Symposium
Tudor Hall - Printable Version

+- Lincoln Discussion Symposium (https://rogerjnorton.com/LincolnDiscussionSymposium)
+-- Forum: Lincoln Discussion Symposium (/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Assassination (/forum-5.html)
+--- Thread: Tudor Hall (/thread-1602.html)

Tudor Hall - PaigeBooth - 04-08-2014 03:18 PM

While visiting Ford's Theatre last summer, my family and I also stopped in Bel Air MD to visit the childhood home of John Wilkes Booth, Tudor Hall. Since then I have begun to wonder, did Mary Ann Holmes live out her life at Tudor Hall? I understand she followed Booth to the Arch Street Theatre in Philadelphia in 1857, and that the family rented Tudor Hall for a time. Did Mary Ann return to the charming, one and a half story, Gothic style home?

RE: Tudor Hall - Jenny - 04-11-2014 11:05 PM

Hi Paige! No, sadly I do not believe Mary Ann ever returned to Tudor Hall. She and her daughter Rosalie shared a home in New York (they apparently lived in New Jersey with the youngest son during summers as well) until she died.

RE: Tudor Hall - PaigeBooth - 04-12-2014 12:43 PM

Thanks for your post! I really appreciate your information! It really makes sense to me now, since a letter Mary Ann sent to JWB in 1865 was stamped from New York. Any ideas where I might be able to find out more about Mary Ann, and her last days in New York?

RE: Tudor Hall - Jenny - 04-12-2014 01:58 PM

I think the best place for information on that actually comes from Dave Taylor at the Boothie Barn in a post about Rosalie Booth which can be found here: http://boothiebarn.com/2013/11/25/the-forgotten-daughter-rosalie-ann-booth/

This wonderful article says that Mary Ann fell and dislocated her hip in 1884 at the house in New York, and "her mind began to wander." For over a year and a half she was bedridden - she had Rosalie sleep with her because she was "nervous" to be alone. Rosalie was even asleep beside her mother when Mary Ann passed away.

But take a look at the entire thing on the Boothie Barn - it has a lot more detailed information that involves Mary Ann, especially towards the bottom. Smile

RE: Tudor Hall - PaigeBooth - 04-14-2014 07:07 PM

Thanks so much, Jenny! I found the article so interesting that I printed it so that I would have the information to refer to. Thanks for your help.

RE: Tudor Hall - Jenny - 04-14-2014 07:21 PM

You are very welcome! Wink