Lincoln Discussion Symposium
Michael O'Laughlen Arrest Information - Printable Version

+- Lincoln Discussion Symposium (https://rogerjnorton.com/LincolnDiscussionSymposium)
+-- Forum: Lincoln Discussion Symposium (/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Assassination (/forum-5.html)
+--- Thread: Michael O'Laughlen Arrest Information (/thread-147.html)

Michael O'Laughlen Arrest Information - John E. - 07-31-2012 02:11 PM

Does anyone know or have the source information for Michael O'Laughlen's (MOL) arrest ? I've always heard the story that he gave himself up to authorities at a location where his mom didn't have to witness it.

However, after reviewing the Lincoln Assassination Reward files, the arresting officer paints a different picture. A Baltimore detective named William E. Wallis was assigned to assist Marshall McPhail in O'Laughlen's capture. He went to MOL's mother's house 3 different times to see if Mike was there. The first day - Saturday, his mother told authorities that Mike was in Washington. Later that evening, the detective went back to the house and learned MOL still wasn't there.

At this point, MOL's brother-in-law stepped up, informed the men that he knew Mike's whereabouts in Baltimore (His house) and offered to convince Mike to give himself up. He FAILED to do so and informed Detective Wallis.

Later on Sunday, the Detective (who learned O'Laughlen's whereabouts from the brother-in-law) went to the location and arrested the conspirator.

The Trial transcripts differ quite a bit. PH Maulsby (MOL's brother in law) stated that on Monday, April 17, he rode with Wallis and another detective to where Mike was hiding out. He then left the detectives in the carriage and went in to the house and came back out MOL - who then surrendered. Maulsby said he failed to convince MOL to give himself up on Saturday because MOL had made other plans for the evening. I'm not sure how he could have spent a restful evening. Perhaps he was discarding any communication evidence or other evidence in relation to the plot.

Giving yourself up and being arrested without incident are two different things.

** The information I am looking for is in addition to the trial transcript from PH Maulsby - the brother in law.

If I haven't lost you by now with my poorly worded post, I'd like to know if anyone has any additional information or thoughts on the matter.

RE: Michael O'Laughlen Arrest Information - Laurie Verge - 07-31-2012 02:35 PM

Kauffman has Mike being arrested at the home of his sister Kate. Other than that, you might be splitting a hair in the distinction between "giving up" and "being arrested?"

RE: Michael O'Laughlen Arrest Information - Rsmyth - 07-31-2012 04:01 PM

Very interesting post John E. I had always heard he gave himself up but from the testimony it sounds like he was trying to put it off. I would love to know what he was doing/thinking during the wait for the authorities that he knew was sure to come.

RE: Michael O'Laughlen Arrest Information - John E. - 07-31-2012 04:38 PM

(07-31-2012 02:35 PM)Laurie Verge Wrote:  Kauffman has Mike being arrested at the home of his sister Kate. Other than that, you might be splitting a hair in the distinction between "giving up" and "being arrested?"

Was Kate's last name Bailey ? If so, that's what the testimony by his brother in law states.

I wonder if the Rewards statements were made to enhance the detective's role in securing the arrest. That could very well be.

We do know that O'Laughlen had at least a day or two to purge himself of any incriminating evidence before being arrested. We also know that the rewards information and the sworn testimony don't jive.

To reply to your statement Laurie, the Rewards statement made by the arresting officer seems to imply that he arrested O'Laughlen after the brother in law failed to convince him to give up. It was more of a surprise arrest than something planned. -- Thus without incident or shootout.

I'm not sure I buy O'Laughlen's "not wanting to be arrested in front of his mother" statement. I think he had ulterior motives to prolonging his arrest and knew it was inevitable.

RE: Michael O'Laughlen Arrest Information - John E. - 08-02-2012 09:53 PM

Hi folks,

Just checking back in. Does anyone have the reference (newspaper or publication) for Mike O'Laughlen not wanting to be arrested in front of his mom ?

Mike Kauffman sourced the New York Herald, April 19, 1865 but I didn't see it in there. It had to start somewhere.

Thanks