Lincoln Discussion Symposium
It's out of my hands - Printable Version

+- Lincoln Discussion Symposium (https://rogerjnorton.com/LincolnDiscussionSymposium)
+-- Forum: Lincoln Discussion Symposium (/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Books - over 15,000 to discuss (/forum-6.html)
+--- Thread: It's out of my hands (/thread-1371.html)

Pages: 1 2

It's out of my hands - Rob Wick - 12-07-2013 11:58 AM

Today, at 9:43 a.m., I sent my book proposal to the University of Illinois Press. I braved the nearly one foot of snow we got Thursday night and Friday morning and walked to the post office to deposit the package in person. Now comes the waiting.

I want to thank everyone who has suffered through my postings on Ida Tarbell and especially Tom Bogar and Liz Rosenthal for reading the proposal and making excellent suggestions on how to improve it. Also, to Roger Norton for creating this site which has allowed me to meet some of the nicest and most intelligent people in the Lincoln community (even Bill and Gene Tongue). Plus, I would be remiss if I didn't thank Joe Di Cola for being the best unknown father a boy could ever have. Big Grin

Keep your fingers crossed!

Best
Rob

RE: It's out of my hands - Tom Bogar - 12-07-2013 12:43 PM

Best of luck, Rob!

RE: It's out of my hands - LincolnMan - 12-07-2013 12:43 PM

Good luck Rob- we are all behind you!

RE: It's out of my hands - RJNorton - 12-07-2013 02:31 PM

Good luck, Rob! Vicki and I wish you all the best in this endeavor.

RE: It's out of my hands - Gene C - 12-07-2013 02:36 PM

Good news! We are all rooting for you

RE: It's out of my hands - Linda Anderson - 12-07-2013 02:50 PM

Good luck, Rob!

RE: It's out of my hands - Eva Elisabeth - 12-07-2013 03:01 PM

Good success, Rob!

RE: It's out of my hands - Thomas Thorne - 12-07-2013 04:34 PM

Good luck, Rob
Tom

RE: It's out of my hands - Joe Di Cola - 12-08-2013 03:45 PM

Hi, Rob,

I am thrilled to know that your proposal has been sent off to the publisher. The University of Illinois press is lucky to be the recipient of same. Your plan to tell the story of Ida Tarbell's work on Lincoln will be a welcome addition to the literature.

Thank you for keeping all of us posted on your progress. We look forward to further updates. The parallel between your trudge through the snow and one made by Lincoln during his New Salem days warmed my heart.

All the best to you and Cheryl and Droopy for the holidays,

Joe

RE: It's out of my hands - Mike B. - 12-08-2013 09:43 PM

GOOD LUCK!!!

RE: It's out of my hands - Rob Wick - 12-09-2013 07:38 PM

Thanks everyone for the kind words. I hope to hear something in about a month or so.

Best
Rob

RE: It's out of my hands - Liz Rosenthal - 12-10-2013 01:32 PM

Rob - Just saw this! I've been out of commission with family issues lately, but anyway, GOOD LUCK! I'm very excited and can't wait to hear what happens next!

RE: It's out of my hands - brtmchl - 12-10-2013 07:46 PM

That's great Rob! Hope everything works out for you.

RE: It's out of my hands - Rob Wick - 12-13-2013 11:38 AM

The news wasn't what I what I had hoped to hear. The U of I Press rejected my proposal. They gave as the reason budgetary constraints which requires them to be "exceedingly picky" as to what they publish. So, I'm going to take some time away from the proposal and write a talk I'm giving in February on Ida Tarbell's struggle to present Lincoln's Indiana years in a better light than did his earlier biographers.

I've got a number of other presses that I'm going to approach. I'm, not giving up. This is a story that needs to be told and I'm the person to do it. It will get published.

Best
Rob

RE: It's out of my hands - Gene C - 12-13-2013 12:42 PM

I'm sorry Rob, their loss!
There are plenty of other University press's out there. You'll find the right one.