Lincoln Discussion Symposium
1855 Booth daguerreotype in "Lust for Fame?" - Printable Version

+- Lincoln Discussion Symposium (https://rogerjnorton.com/LincolnDiscussionSymposium)
+-- Forum: Lincoln Discussion Symposium (/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Assassination (/forum-5.html)
+--- Thread: 1855 Booth daguerreotype in "Lust for Fame?" (/thread-1293.html)

1855 Booth daguerreotype in "Lust for Fame?" - Jenny - 11-12-2013 10:55 AM

Hello everyone,

I was re-reading Gordon Samples' Lust For Fame: The Stage Career of John Wilkes Booth last night to check a few facts when I turned to page 15 and found myself staring at a badly-copied image of Booth that I'd never seen before... it is labeled "A young John Wilkes Booth, around 1855. From a daguerreotype owned by Robert G. Shaw, Harvard Dramatic Library; from a copy in the Library of Congress."

Of course I checked the Library of Congress and if they have it, I don't think it is digitalized.

Does anyone have information or a copy of this picture? It is on page 15 of the book as I said.

Thanks! Smile
Jenny

RE: 1855 Booth daguerreotype in "Lust for Fame?" - Gene C - 11-12-2013 11:05 AM

Earliest one I have seen is when he was around 18

http://www.angelfire.com/pa4/gettysburg/booth1.html

RE: 1855 Booth daguerreotype in "Lust for Fame?" - J. Beckert - 11-12-2013 11:14 AM

I think they're both considered suspect, Jenny. The one in LFF looks like Booth, but it's profile shot and he doesn't have a curl on his head. The one Gene posted I've heard is a soldier Booth befriended on a riverboat on the Mississippi river. His name escapes me.

RE: 1855 Booth daguerreotype in "Lust for Fame?" - Jenny - 11-12-2013 11:14 AM

That's the earliest one I'd seen before too, Gene. This new one... I'm not sure what to think. It's a side profile shot.

Ah, okay - that makes sense. Thank you! Smile

RE: 1855 Booth daguerreotype in "Lust for Fame?" - wsanto - 11-12-2013 11:47 AM

(11-12-2013 11:14 AM)J. Beckert Wrote:  I think they're both considered suspect, Jenny. The one in LFF looks like Booth, but it's profile shot and he doesn't have a curl on his head. The one Gene posted I've heard is a soldier Booth befriended on a riverboat on the Mississippi river. His name escapes me.

On Dave Taylor's blog, BoothieBarn, He examines the second photo (from Gene's link) and proves that it is not Booth. An excellent article.

RE: 1855 Booth daguerreotype in "Lust for Fame?" - J. Beckert - 11-12-2013 11:50 AM

The Gutman's stated it was taken in Missouri, but at 18 I don't think Booth can be placed there. He should have been honing his skills as a stock actor in Richmond.

(11-12-2013 11:47 AM)wsanto Wrote:  On Dave Taylor's blog, BoothieBarn, He examines the second photo (from Gene's link) and proves that it is not Booth. An excellent article.
I forgot about that, Bill. Dave did a great job with the photo in question.

http://boothiebarn.com/2013/01/30/the-debate-over-gutman-1/

RE: 1855 Booth daguerreotype in "Lust for Fame?" - Gene C - 11-12-2013 04:10 PM

Ooops!

Good article Dave.

RE: 1855 Booth daguerreotype in "Lust for Fame?" - Jenny - 11-16-2013 07:21 PM

Awesome! Smile Thank you for the link!