Lincoln Discussion Symposium
Bang! The Curse of John Wilkes Booth.... - Printable Version

+- Lincoln Discussion Symposium (https://rogerjnorton.com/LincolnDiscussionSymposium)
+-- Forum: Lincoln Discussion Symposium (/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Assassination (/forum-5.html)
+--- Thread: Bang! The Curse of John Wilkes Booth.... (/thread-128.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

RE: Bang! The Curse of John Wilkes Booth.... - Dawn E Foster - 10-08-2012 10:04 AM

A psychiatrist prescribed it 17 years ago, when I was unable to sleep because of "hyper-vigilance" due to "post-traumatic stress" after having my throat slashed. Nasty stuff. (besides, I didn't want to sleep ... )

RE: Bang! The Curse of John Wilkes Booth.... - BettyO - 10-08-2012 10:25 AM

Oh yes, Laurie! It's available online - Even Amazon carries it!! For myself -
I wouldn't touch it -- Natty, who also posts here and goes to school in Germany says that the stuff is readily available and tastes AWFUL!

http://www.herbs2000.com/herbs/herbs_valerian.htm

http://www.amazon.com/Valerian-Root-Tea-24-Bags/product-reviews/B00014EFV0

No wonder Lew Powell wouldn't touch it either! HA!

RE: Bang! The Curse of John Wilkes Booth.... - RJNorton - 10-08-2012 10:53 AM

Dawn, what a horrible experience. My heart goes out to you.

RE: Bang! The Curse of John Wilkes Booth.... - BettyO - 10-08-2012 11:16 AM

Indeed, Dawn --- how horrible for you! I pray that you find peace - we're with you!

RE: Bang! The Curse of John Wilkes Booth.... - Laurie Verge - 10-08-2012 12:30 PM

I agree with Roger and Betty - what a horrible thing to have happen to anyone. You must have a guardian angel!

And...I wouldn't want to go to sleep under those circumstances either. I would probably live in one room with no windows, six deadbolt locks on the one door, and a German Shepherd dog for months after such an occurence.

RE: Bang! The Curse of John Wilkes Booth.... - Dawn E Foster - 10-08-2012 09:11 PM

Thanks, everyone, it means a lot! Yes, I am very lucky.

Close, Laurie! I live in a tiny little squirrel's nest apartment, upstairs over a dentist's office now; my bedroom is tucked up in the attic, under the eaves. And I still can't go to sleep without a light on (and a book, of course).

RE: Bang! The Curse of John Wilkes Booth.... - Donna McCreary - 10-08-2012 10:21 PM

Speaking of the appearance of actors who portray John Wilkes Booth, check out this video. . .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V15l8pK4Z88

I helped get this show up and running by designing and creating the costumes. Yes, that is correct . . . a Mary Lincoln buff helped a Booth buff.

RE: Bang! The Curse of John Wilkes Booth.... - RJNorton - 10-09-2012 06:00 AM

Wow! What is that music?

RE: Bang! The Curse of John Wilkes Booth.... - BettyO - 10-09-2012 07:40 AM

(10-08-2012 10:21 PM)Donna McCreary Wrote:  Speaking of the appearance of actors who portray John Wilkes Booth, check out this video. . .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V15l8pK4Z88

I helped get this show up and running by designing and creating the costumes. Yes, that is correct . . . a Mary Lincoln buff helped a Booth buff.

Donna -

This looks impressive! I'd love to see this. And I met Mr. Chris Dickerson years ago when he did a one man play for the Surratt Society - very impressive indeed. Thanks ever so much! I have your book on Mary Lincoln and fashion - excellent!

RE: Bang! The Curse of John Wilkes Booth.... - Laurie Verge - 10-09-2012 10:23 AM

What a nice surprise to see the name of Chris Dickerson pop up on the screen. We dealt with Chris quite a bit back in the 1980s and enjoyed his work. Now my feeble brain is trying to remember the actor that portrayed Booth and worked with Chris. Bill??? Betty, help!

RE: Bang! The Curse of John Wilkes Booth.... - MaddieM - 10-11-2012 02:33 AM

(10-07-2012 06:47 PM)L Verge Wrote:  Speaking of "medicines," we know that Mrs. Surratt was given wine of valerian before her execution - no doubt a sedative. Oddly enough, I was reading something online today about foods to have several hours before going to bed to insure a good night's sleep. One of the things they recommended was valerian tea! I had no idea that this root concoction was still in existence.

Lettuce. Makes you sleep like a baby, apparently.

RE: Bang! The Curse of John Wilkes Booth.... - BettyO - 10-11-2012 11:15 AM

(10-11-2012 02:33 AM)MaddieM Wrote:  
(10-07-2012 06:47 PM)L Verge Wrote:  Speaking of "medicines," we know that Mrs. Surratt was given wine of valerian before her execution - no doubt a sedative. Oddly enough, I was reading something online today about foods to have several hours before going to bed to insure a good night's sleep. One of the things they recommended was valerian tea! I had no idea that this root concoction was still in existence.

Lettuce. Makes you sleep like a baby, apparently.

Greens?!?!? YUK!!! Thank goodness I have no trouble sleeping!!! Big Grin

(10-09-2012 10:23 AM)Laurie Verge Wrote:  What a nice surprise to see the name of Chris Dickerson pop up on the screen. We dealt with Chris quite a bit back in the 1980s and enjoyed his work. Now my feeble brain is trying to remember the actor that portrayed Booth and worked with Chris. Bill??? Betty, help!

Laurie -

Was it Clinton Case? Remember we all went to see his performance? I have a photo of he and I - waaayyy back when!

RE: Bang! The Curse of John Wilkes Booth.... - Laurie Verge - 10-11-2012 12:38 PM

I remember Clinton Case, but I don't think he's the one who worked with Chris Dickerson. I quizzed Joan Chaconas, and she has photos of Chris and this other man here at Surratt House. With a little luck, their names are written on the back. Somehow I remember that the two dressed as Booth and Herold, rented horses, and showed up at our tavern door one Saturday as a Booth Tour bus arrived on site.

BTW: Betty, Joan says she sent you the photo of Canterbury Hall. Can you post it?

RE: Bang! The Curse of John Wilkes Booth.... - BettyO - 10-11-2012 12:40 PM

Laurie -

I've posted the Canterbury Music Hall photo under the "Mary Gardner" Post -
is that OK?

Thanks!

RE: Bang! The Curse of John Wilkes Booth.... - LincolnMan - 10-25-2012 08:57 AM

JWB is looking old and he gets around, indeed. Last night I was asked to do a psychiatric evaluation on a patient in the emergency room. Upon arrival to his bedside, I found the gentleman to be dirty, disheveled, and smelly. That is not unusual. What was unusual was what he said to me (and was the only verbalization he made). He said: "I am John Wilkes Booth."
In my career, I have had delusional patients tell me they were Michael Jackson, Prince, and other famous persons. I have never had a pateint claim to be JWB. He was subsequently psychiatrically hospitalized. It was unclear whether or not he had shot Lincoln as yet-but he sure looked like he might have spent time in the swamp already. Smile