Lincoln Discussion Symposium
Mary in Europe: Pau, France - Printable Version

+- Lincoln Discussion Symposium (https://rogerjnorton.com/LincolnDiscussionSymposium)
+-- Forum: Lincoln Discussion Symposium (/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Mary Lincoln and the Boys (/forum-4.html)
+--- Thread: Mary in Europe: Pau, France (/thread-1215.html)

Pages: 1 2

RE: Mary in Europe: Pau, France - Eva Elisabeth - 08-16-2018 01:46 PM

Donna, as the post includes, the owner to contact is the "Institut für Stadtgeschichte Frankfurt am Main".
Please go here:
https://www.stadtgeschichte-ffm.de/en/home

RE: Mary in Europe: Pau, France - Donna McCreary - 08-18-2018 08:51 AM

(08-16-2018 01:46 PM)Eva Elisabeth Wrote:  Donna, as the post includes, the owner to contact is the "Institut für Stadtgeschichte Frankfurt am Main".
Please go here:
https://www.stadtgeschichte-ffm.de/en/home

Thanks Eva
I have already sent them an email inquiring how to obtain publishing rights and have never received an answer. I was hopeful that someone here would have a name and a more direct email address. Hopefully, my request will be answered someday.

RE: Mary in Europe: Pau, France - Eva Elisabeth - 08-18-2018 02:09 PM

Donna, when I wrote them to inquired where exactly the places were and if they had photos they did reply. But I had to pay ca. 90€ (in advance) to get those digital scans. And I wrote in German...(Although I think they should understand requests in English.)
PS: As you consider to make use of them - a "thanks for sharing the research" or so would have made me happy.

RE: Mary in Europe: Pau, France - Donna McCreary - 08-18-2018 05:21 PM

(08-18-2018 02:09 PM)Eva Elisabeth Wrote:  Donna, when I wrote them to inquired where exactly the places were and if they had photos they did reply. But I had to pay ca. 90€ (in advance) to get those digital scans. And I wrote in German...(Although I think they should understand requests in English.)
PS: As you consider to make use of them - a "thanks for sharing the research" or so would have made me happy.

Wow - that fee is far more than I am use to paying. Some archives charge as little as $10 per photo. A few even allow publication with no fees attached at all. I will have to find different images to use. Perhaps I can use a photograph of one of the boarding houses in Chicago instead.

I did write my request in English. I studied German in high school but do not remember enough to write a decent sentence.

RE: Mary in Europe: Pau, France - Eva Elisabeth - 08-18-2018 05:30 PM

They had to search and scan the pics for me and that cost if I recall correctly 28€ per pic/scan. I think it took them quite awhile and it's not a volunteer place but paid staff.

PS: It might be cheaper or even for free if you go to Frankfurt and take pics of the pics yourself. That was the case with the archive in Hannover, and I think Frankfurt told me the same, but it was too far for me to got there (for less than I paid).

RE: Mary in Europe: Pau, France - Donna McCreary - 08-18-2018 09:45 PM

(08-18-2018 05:30 PM)Eva Elisabeth Wrote:  They had to search and scan the pics for me and that cost if I recall correctly 28€ per pic/scan. I think it took them quite awhile and it's not a volunteer place but paid staff.

PS: It might be cheaper or even for free if you go to Frankfurt and take pics of the pics yourself. That was the case with the archive in Hannover, and I think Frankfurt told me the same, but it was too far for me to got there (for less than I paid).

As much as I would love to visit Frankfurt (I was born there), I live on a limited fixed income and can not afford to travel. But, you have given me an idea . . . I do have friends who have traveled to Germany, and perhaps one of them has a photo that is usable! Thank you for all of your help. If the book is selected for publication, your name will appear in the acknowledgements.

RE: Mary in Europe: Pau, France - Eva Elisabeth - 08-19-2018 04:45 AM

Thanks, Donna, why didn't you simply ask me to ask the archive for permission (and I could call them if no reply) to use the scans they did for me? I don't think they would charge again, and I would be willing to send them to you. I have no book to publish, so I wouldn't mind. Your "thank you" paid off for me.