Lincoln Discussion Symposium
Billy the Kid photo? - Printable Version

+- Lincoln Discussion Symposium (https://rogerjnorton.com/LincolnDiscussionSymposium)
+-- Forum: Lincoln Discussion Symposium (/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Other (/forum-10.html)
+--- Thread: Billy the Kid photo? (/thread-1140.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

RE: Billy the Kid photo? - Joe Di Cola - 08-31-2013 04:48 PM

I agree, Kate, it is not William Bonham aka the Kid.

(08-31-2013 04:48 PM)Joe Di Cola Wrote:  I agree, Kate, it is not William Bonham aka the Kid.

Oops, William Bonney (is what I meant to write)...

RE: Billy the Kid photo? - Hess1865 - 08-31-2013 11:15 PM

Not him IMO

RE: Billy the Kid photo? - Gene C - 10-12-2015 04:19 PM

Since the other photo didn't meet wide spread acceptability on the forum, lets try this again

http://www.foxnews.com/science/2015/10/12/new-image-shows-billy-kid-playing-croquet.html?intcmp=hpbt4

As usual, the comments are the best part of the article

RE: Billy the Kid photo? - BettyO - 10-12-2015 05:40 PM

The guy in this photo ("Billy"?!) kinda reminds me of the Little Rascals' "Alfalfa" (Carl Switzer) - if it is indeed him.....

Years ago, while researching Powell, I went to the National Archives to see Powell's father's letters. A large manila folder was brought out (no white gloves/digitized documents back in those days! Mid 1970s) and the first thing I pulled out was a letter from "William H. Bonney" written to General Lew Wallace. I remember how excited I was to be holding an actual letter written by Billy the Kid!

[attachment=1869]

RE: Billy the Kid photo? - Susan Higginbotham - 10-12-2015 05:43 PM

I belong to a couple of photography groups on Facebook, and for what it's worth, the long-term collectors and dealers on there are highly skeptical. Since I know nothing about Billy, I'm staying silent and chewing on my popcorn.

RE: Billy the Kid photo? - Susan Higginbotham - 10-12-2015 07:49 PM

By the way, if you can't afford Billy when he comes up for sale, there's always Varina Davis on eBay. Someone's been trying to sell an ambrotype of her for weeks now, but he's not getting any takers, probably because it's not actually Varina Davis. The price is down to a mere $4,500 now--it was $12,000 at one point!

RE: Billy the Kid photo? - Houmes - 10-12-2015 07:50 PM

(10-12-2015 05:40 PM)BettyO Wrote:  The guy in this photo ("Billy"?!) kinda reminds me of the Little Rascals' "Alfalfa" (Carl Switzer) - if it is indeed him.....

Years ago, while researching Powell, I went to the National Archives to see Powell's father's letters. A large manila folder was brought out (no white gloves/digitized documents back in those days! Mid 1970s) and the first thing I pulled out was a letter from "William H. Bonney" written to General Lew Wallace. I remember how excited I was to be holding an actual letter written by Billy the Kid!

I think he looks more like Alfred E. Neuman.

RE: Billy the Kid photo? - BettyO - 10-12-2015 09:02 PM

I agreem Blaine. He DOES look like Alfred E. Neuman!

RE: Billy the Kid photo? - Jim Garrett - 10-15-2015 12:17 AM

I just recently found a picture of Uncle Pat bowling with my great grandfather, JC Garrett. The picture was taken in the bowling alley at New Mexico State Prison where my great grandfather was the asst warden. In the background, you can see Lew Wallace keeping score.

RE: Billy the Kid photo? - L Verge - 10-15-2015 10:20 AM

And how much is that photo expected to bring at auction, Jim?

BTW: It was great to have you visit us yesterday at Surratt House - looking and sounding well. Folks, he had to leave us after getting a call to come in early for work! You can't keep a good man down.

RE: Billy the Kid photo? - Jim Garrett - 10-15-2015 11:22 AM

Enjoyed stopping by, as always. BTW, the new librarian at the research library is wonderful. Coleen knows her way around historical research and will quickly know all the nooks and crannies of the James O. Hall archives!

RE: Billy the Kid photo? - LincolnMan - 10-17-2015 12:45 PM

Any update on this?

RE: Billy the Kid photo? - Jim Garrett - 01-09-2017 06:43 PM

Saw the show on Nat Geo about the photo of the Kid and others playing croquet. Very convincing.

RE: Billy the Kid photo? - Gene C - 01-09-2017 09:23 PM

I always figured him as more of a badminton kind of guy.

RE: Billy the Kid photo? - Steve - 01-30-2017 11:23 PM

I saw this thread and thought this article might be of interest for people interested in the photo:

http://www.truewestmagazine.com/the-croquet-kid/