Lincoln Discussion Symposium
Extra Credit Questions - Printable Version

+- Lincoln Discussion Symposium (https://rogerjnorton.com/LincolnDiscussionSymposium)
+-- Forum: Lincoln Discussion Symposium (/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Trivia Questions - all things Lincoln (/forum-8.html)
+--- Thread: Extra Credit Questions (/thread-3582.html)

RE: Extra Credit Questions - RJNorton - 07-11-2023 06:19 AM

Hint #2: Everyone is assuming the correct person is an adult...but maybe it's...

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Gene C - 07-11-2023 06:36 AM

Willie Lincoln ?

RE: Extra Credit Questions - RJNorton - 07-11-2023 07:46 AM

Very close, Gene, but incorrect.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - mbgross - 07-11-2023 09:09 AM

julia taft bayne?

RE: Extra Credit Questions - RJNorton - 07-11-2023 09:35 AM

You are also close, Mike, but Gene was closer.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Gene C - 07-11-2023 11:57 AM

Tad Lincoln ?

RE: Extra Credit Questions - RJNorton - 07-11-2023 12:22 PM

Yes, Gene! It was Tad Lincoln.

This was said about Tad by journalist Noah Brooks. Brooks was amazed at Tad despite Tad's lack of academic preparation.

Here is a Tad Lincoln story I like. It comes from William Crook's Through Five Administrations:

"Haliday, aided by the gardener, was about to take up the carpet in the congressional, or state, dining-room. The long table made it somewhat difficult, and they were debating about which end to attack it from, when Tad appeared. He surveyed the field.

'Jim,' he said to Haliday. 'I have a favor to ask of you. Jim, grant it,' he coaxed.

Jim, of course, said 'Yes,' as every one had a way of doing—and yet it wasn't because it was the President's son.

'Now, Jim,' he said, taking an attitude of command, 'you work with the other man. I will boss the job.' And Haliday, talking about it, asserts to this day: 'He told us just how to go about it. And there was no one could engineer it better than he did."

RE: Extra Credit Questions - David Lockmiller - 07-11-2023 02:03 PM

(07-11-2023 12:22 PM)RJNorton Wrote:  Yes, Gene! It was Tad Lincoln.

This was said about Tad by journalist Noah Brooks. Brooks was amazed at Tad despite Tad's lack of academic preparation.

Here is a Tad Lincoln story I like. It comes from William Crook's Through Five Administrations:

"Haliday, aided by the gardener, was about to take up the carpet in the congressional, or state, dining-room. The long table made it somewhat difficult, and they were debating about which end to attack it from, when Tad appeared. He surveyed the field.

'Jim,' he said to Haliday. 'I have a favor to ask of you. Jim, grant it,' he coaxed.

Jim, of course, said 'Yes,' as every one had a way of doing—and yet it wasn't because it was the President's son.

'Now, Jim,' he said, taking an attitude of command, 'you work with the other man. I will boss the job.' And Haliday, talking about it, asserts to this day: 'He told us just how to go about it. And there was no one could engineer it better than he did."

Thank you, Roger. That was an enjoyable story. It shows that Tad had an enjoyable childhood, at least.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - RJNorton - 07-20-2023 04:57 AM

What is depicted here?

[Image: untitled5031.jpg]

RE: Extra Credit Questions - mbgross - 07-20-2023 06:35 AM

The Peace Conference between Lincoln and the Confederate leaders?

RE: Extra Credit Questions - RJNorton - 07-20-2023 07:20 AM

Nope, that is incorrect.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - STS Lincolnite - 07-20-2023 09:24 AM

The markings look like Lincoln's funeral train car. So I will say this is Lincoln's funeral car being ferried across the Hudson River (from NJ to NYC).

RE: Extra Credit Questions - RJNorton - 07-20-2023 09:29 AM

Oh my...I thought this one would last awhile. Congratulations, Scott, you are exactly right!

RE: Extra Credit Questions - David Lockmiller - 07-20-2023 10:28 AM

(07-20-2023 09:29 AM)RJNorton Wrote:  Oh my...I thought this one would last awhile. Congratulations, Scott, you are exactly right!

Out of curiosity, Roger, in what publication did this sketch appear?

RE: Extra Credit Questions - RJNorton - 07-20-2023 10:36 AM

Th sketch is from Frank Leslie's Illustrated Newspaper, May 13, 1865, 116.