Abraham Lincoln's Assassination
<< Back


Library of Congress Photograph
Ford's Theatre in Washington, D.C. was built in 1863 after a fire destroyed another theater (a converted Baptist church) on the same site. The theater held 1700 patrons, but most estimates were that there was not a full house the night of the assassination. Before shooting the president, John Wilkes Booth had a drink in the tavern to the right of the theater. Incredibly, the president's coachman, valet, and bodyguard were also drinking at the same bar, possibly even at the very moment of the assassination. In 1893, while being used as a government office building, all three floors collapsed, and 22 people were killed. In 1954, President Dwight Eisenhower signed a congressional bill to restore the theater. A beautifully refurbished Ford’s Theatre reopened in 1968 with the play John Brown’s Body.

Ford's Theatre and its museum were closed for renovations in 2007. The theater reopened in February 2009. Ford's Theatre Museum reopened in July of 2009. Across the street the Petersen House, where Lincoln passed away, is open for tours.

This is not a commercial website. None of the photographs and artwork exhibited herein are being sold by the webmaster. Some photographs and artwork are believed to be in the public domain. Any copyrighted photographs and artwork are used in the context of this website strictly for educational, research and historical purposes only, under the "Fair Use" provisions of the Copyright Act, (US CODE: Title 17,107. Limitations on exclusive rights: Fair Use Section 107). Anyone claiming copyright to any of the posted photographs or artwork please inform the webmaster of such and it will be duly noted or removed.

Questions, comments, corrections or suggestions can be sent to
R. J. Norton, the creator and maintainer of this site. All text except reprinted articles was written by the webmaster, ©1996-2017. All rights reserved. It is unlawful to copy, reproduce or transmit in any form or by any means, electronic or hard copy, including reproducing on another web page, or in any information or retrieval system without the express written permission of the author. The website was born on December 29, 1996.

Web design by Andrew Patel.

Visitor count for the Abraham Lincoln Research Site since December 29, 1996:

Site Stats